Super brand gone?

Goingright

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 10, 2009
In my experience, Superbrand is the best surf company I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. The boards were top notch and absolutely magic. Every board came up perfect and they are still holding well after 3-4 years. My first custom from them came in 3 weeks. I love the Toy so much. I have one overseas sitting in my house and still have a few in US. I emailed them a few ago and Mr Jason Koon replied right away willingly happy to help.

The Toy is absolutely perfect. Its made incredibly simple but has so much power and thought behind it. Its designed for the average surfer but makes you feel like you can do things easily like a performance shortboard but you are not sacrificing the drawbacks of a performance surfboard. Super super easy to surf frontside and easily backside as well. They are always willing to help and answer any questions. I hope they can figure a way to stay in Business. Please try to stay in Business as we all know all businesses experience difficulties. Perseverance pays off.

The other brands make things super complicated and hate following the big names what they have to offer since its incredibly complicated to follow all the latest trends and way too many choices and materials. It feels like All the big shapers are just there to move volume.

Superbrand executed the KISS strategy incredibly well. I could easily build a quiver with Pigdog, Toy and fling. (By the way, Barry Schwartz tackled this subject in his book "The paradox of choice")
They have only few models to choose from to cover everything you need. They only release a board or two per year. Perfect.

I still want to order a few from them.

Long live Superbrand. You will always be number 1 surf company in my book.

Last edited:

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
That's a bummer. I was thinking recently that if I could keep only one surfboard it would be my Fling. It covers a lot of ground from mushy waist high to overhead, and is a ton of fun.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
In my experience, Superbrand is the best surf company I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. The boards were top notch and absolutely magic. Every board came up perfect and they are still holding well after 3-4 years. My first custom from them came in 3 weeks. I love the Toy so much. I have one overseas sitting in my house and still have a few in US. I emailed them a few ago and Mr Jason Koon replied right away willingly happy to help.

The Toy is absolutely perfect. Its made incredibly simple but has so much power and thought behind it. Its designed for the average surfer but makes you feel like you can do things easily like a performance shortboard but you are not sacrificing the drawbacks of a performance surfboard. Super super easy to surf frontside and easily backside as well. They are always willing to help and answer any questions. I hope they can figure a way to stay in Business. Please try to stay in Business as we all know all businesses experience difficulties. Perseverance pays off.

The other brands make things super complicated and hate following the big names what they have to offer since its incredibly complicated to follow all the latest trends and way too many choices and materials. It feels like All the big shapers are just there to move volume.

Superbrand executed the KISS strategy incredibly well. I could easily build a quiver with Pigdog, Toy and fling. (By the way, Barry Schwartz tackled this subject in his book "The paradox of choice")
They have only few models to choose from to cover everything you need. They only release a board or two per year. Perfect.

Well, with Koons in his new role, fingers crossed you may be able to restock your quiver in Surftech construction in the near future, bro!
#spacemanchit

Last edited:

Goingright

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 10, 2009
Well, at least he doesn’t promise me I’m going to surf like John John Florence
Maybe instead of shapers complaining about a star in a logo, they should understand their user base a little better instead of making boards based on what the pros ride. Taking a shot at a brand while they are down because of a star in a logo is low and a cheap shot imho.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I had an otr "vapor" I picked up because it looked fun, and it was a good board. They'll probably be available again in a short time, but from surftech. The company that made me hate epoxy for years and years. Maybe the guy cashed out and is just going surfing now :shrug:

@Pyzelsurfboards you should get Marzo.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I had a good experience with my one Super custom. Also bought one online OTR and it was good as well. Not my favorite boards of all time but no complaints with fit and finish. Sucks to hear of people getting stiffed (if that is in fact true).

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I've always thought it was pretty weird for them to have a logo so close to mine (made it up myself in 1996) , and in the past few years they have even placed it exactly where we have our logos as well. It's not that big of a deal, just kinda lame
With all due respect ( I have a bunch of your boards). Super has been around since mid 2000’s and i doubt they ripped your logo off. In fact that logo was a lot more recognizable as Super before your meteoritic rise in popularity.

Goingright

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 10, 2009
They copied the star in his logo...Iol
Just shows how much out of touch these big shapers are with every day surfer. Its a piece of foam with fiberglass that takes you from point A to Point B with a couple of turns here and there. Everything else is just in our imagination...lol
Riding a named piece of foam another pro uses in a different part of the world is at best a facade shapers planted in our imagination with indispensable desire that we should surf like the pros.

Last edited:
Reactions: LifeOnMars

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System

I love when shapers come on the erBB and discuss their boards. Thanks for this post Mr. Koons!

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
G
They copied the star in his logo...Iol
Just shows how much out of touch these big shapers are with every day surfer. Its a piece of foam with fiberglass that takes you from point A to Point B with a couple of turns here and there. Everything else is just in our imagination...lol
Riding a named piece of foam another pro uses in a different part of the world is at best a facade shapers planted in our imagination with indispensable desire that we should surf like the pros.
tell us more about where these shapers touched you in the wrong place.

…we really do care what you have to say…

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
With all due respect ( I have a bunch of your boards). Super has been around since mid 2000’s and i doubt they ripped your logo off. In fact that logo was a lot more recognizable as Super before your meteoritic rise in popularity.

Mr Zogs would like a word with you both

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I will say that I've seen a few Supers that were Pyzels and vice versa, the ones with that horizontal logo on the rail, 1/3 down from the nose.

Reactions: sh3