SUP recommendations

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I want to join the dark side and buy a SUP. Mostly for (a) screwing around on otherwise worthless days and (b) charging some of the bigger surf with hell paddles we get in my neck of the woods. We have enough space up here where I won't be getting in anyone's way.

I know nothing about SUPs. Help me out, erBB. What do I want to buy? Who makes good boards?

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Mr Doof said:
Wouldn't any advice be useless without knowing Cheetos weight?

So big boy, how much do you mass?
Normal weight for me used to be about 200. At the moment I'm fighting back from the mid-170s. Given my changes in nutrient absorption and diet I have no idea what I'll plateau at this time around.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Cheeeeto is asking for SUP advice?

Dark days......... :wink2:

I can't offer any advice, but hope you find a good craft :wave2:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I have a Sams Club SUP. Paid 389 for the entire package. It's a soft top but still 5" thick and triple stringer. Surfs surprisingly well. Like riding a giant tanker. I've had it out in OH surf and it handled alright. I just screw around on it in smaller surf or paddle around with my young son.

Obviously, a naish or something would be better. It will also cost 6 times as much. For $400 I can ride this and destroy it without being too worried about it.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
9'6-10'6" x 29-30" x 4-4.5" - cheap, used, craigslist, unless you're wealthy. If wealthy consider Naish, Starboard, Gerry Lopez.

Werner spanker paddle.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Boneroni said:
Cheeeeto is asking for SUP advice?

Dark days......... :wink2:

I can't offer any advice, but hope you find a good craft :wave2:
There are days up here where even my 9'0" gun is impossible to paddle through the currents to outer reefs/bars, and a SUP is the only feasible option. I'd also like to take it on exploratory paddles when my kayak is just too much of a pain in the ass to launch. I'm not giving up my Coils anytime soon.