SUP Gets 5 Years For Paddle Assault

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Copied from Fox 5 page.

"SAN DIEGO — A man who hit a popular local surfer in the head with a carbon fiber paddle in the water at Sunset Cliffs was sentenced Thursday to five years in state prison.

Paul Taylor Konen, 34, was convicted last month of assault, with a great bodily injury allegation, for the June 26, 2018, assault on Kevin Eslinger, 56.

Eslinger sustained a gash to the back of his head that fractured his skull and caused brain damage, rendering him unable to speak until days after the injury, Deputy District Attorney Matthew Greco said. An emergency room physician said the injury looked “like a hammer blow,” the prosecutor said.

Eslinger, who testified during the trial in somewhat stilted speech, said he tried to explain his condition and the situation to hospital staff and police, but it was “as if someone had their hand over my mouth from the inside.”

Addressing the court at Konen’s sentencing hearing, he said the attack continues to affect his daily life, how he communicates with his wife and swim students at El Cajon Valley High School, and has led to around $100,000 in medical bills. Eslinger said he wishes he could ease the pain and stress of his wife Janae, but “she’s reminded of it every time I speak.”

RELATED STORY
Man found guilty of assaulting popular local surfer at Sunset Cliffs
According to the prosecution, after Konen nearly ran into Eslinger on the water — forcing him to duck his head in order to avoid being struck by Konen’s paddle board — Eslinger objected to Konen’s flouting of proper surfing etiquette.

The victim said Konen remarked, “If I can catch a wave, it’s mine,” then ran into Eslinger’s wife and regular surfing partner elsewhere among the waves, knocking her off her board.

Eslinger testified that when he paddled out toward the defendant to ask him why he did that, he was struck in the head by an unknown object, which he later came to believe was an intentional blow from Konen’s paddle.

Konen was arrested the next day when police tracked him down to his father’s van. Inside the van was the paddle used to assault Eslinger, still with a strand of hair stuck to a portion of the paddle that appeared damaged, according to Greco. The prosecutor said efforts to match that strand of hair to Eslinger through DNA testing were unsuccessful, because there was no root attached to the stray hair.

Defense attorney Brian McCarthy, who maintained during the trial that Konen was simply trying to get away from Eslinger and may have accidentally struck him with the paddle, sought probation for his client.

RELATED STORY
Prosecutor: ‘Beach bully’ damaged surfer’s brain with paddle swing
San Diego County Superior Court Judge Robert J. Trentacosta declined to grant probation, citing the extent of Eslinger’s injuries and a lack of remorse on Konen’s part along with a variety of changing stories from the defendant, including telling one detective that no encounter happened at all, while also telling a friend that Eslinger attacked him and he struck Eslinger in self-defense.

“I don’t get a sense that the defendant either understands or appreciates his actions or the results of his actions,” Trentacosta said.

However, due to Konen’s lack of criminal history, the judge did impose the low term of two years for the assault count, in addition to three years for the great bodily injury allegation.

Outside court, Greco said, ” It’s a good day for the surfing community. It’s a good day for the community of San Diego. It’s a good day for the beaches to ensure that when people are out in the water, they’re safe and they understand that the rules that are on land apply in the ocean and people will be held accountable for assaultive behavior.”

Eslinger made local headlines in 2005 when he traversed 120 miles paddling from Santa Barbara to Ocean Beach in just over a day."

toPBk

Miki Dora status
Mar 27, 2002
North Pacific Beach, CA
Why this post isn’t more discussed is beyond me...

What’s next? Who cares about the foiler who intentionally cut off those booger’s
Legs at the Wedge?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Two lives fvcked up over the simple act of riding waves. Gee isn't surfing the coolest? :foreheadslap:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
shiver_me_timbers said:
Not long enough. Fk that guy.
Do SUPers rank above or below rapists in the convict hierarchy? :shrug:

Regardless, he'll be getting some paddlings in prison.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
GromsDad said:
toPBk said:

What’s next? Who cares about the foiler who intentionally cut off those booger’s
Legs at the Wedge?
Because people hate SUPers and longboarders equally? Just a theory :rock:
Huh?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
tacos said:
GromsDad said:
toPBk said:

Legs at the Wedge?
Huh?
You caught him in a rare lucid moment.

A rare toPBK appearance!

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
silentbutdeadly said:
Once out his picture should be plastered around the area with messages of banning him from the water.

he's a convicted felon when he gets out. people will mouth off to him for sure. if he snaps or does something stupid, he's now got a previous record of surf violence. fk that guy. he got off too easy for something horrible.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
should be longer, has the victim fully recovered, or damaged for life?

toPBk

Miki Dora status
Mar 27, 2002
North Pacific Beach, CA
ElOgro said:
tacos said:
GromsDad said:
toPBk said:

Legs at the Wedge?
Huh?
You caught him in a rare lucid moment.

A rare toPBK appearance!

I'm around... just lurkin...

waiting for the invite to the "LeeD Shithouse Door Invitational"

On a related note.. did see some social media posts suggesting that the sweeper was unjustly treated :trout: :foreheadslap:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
They should have tacked on a couple years for the "If I can catch a wave, it's mine" statement. Sounds like he deserves ever minute of his sentence.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i may just be a jerk, but i think all SUPers should be in prison😜