Stretch Buzzsaw V2 !!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
thekadvang said:
Picked up my buzzsaw on Friday and I was giddy like a schoolboy. Huge thanks to Dave, Kyle, and Stretch for putting up with my frantic questions, color changes, unsolicited comments etc. and delivering another beautiful board.

Dims are 5'8" x 18.75" x 2.1" with skate deck, which puts volume at ~26.9L. Running as a quad with 4.5" Stretch S1s. I'm 5'9" and weigh around 155. I got this board as a daily driver and wanted it a little longer / narrower to give it more upper range than the typical sizing.

Rode it at a town reef in poopy grovel conditions and at HH SFOB on Sunday. Not enough time for a real ride report (executed a grand total of one turn at OB), but board paddles excellently and was confidence inspiring even at higher end of wave spectrum it as designed for. Skate deck feels awesome while paddling and sitting on the board (it cradles the butt nicely :loser:) but don't have a read on it for actual surfing yet. Stoked to get the board into some chest - head high steep waves where it feels like it's gonna shine.

Pics below, see comparison to my 5'2" x 19" x 2.3" super buzz.

:facelick:
Sweet buzzsaw :rockin:
Can't wait to hear more about skatedeck since I am about 6.5 weeks away from grovel buzz w/ skatedeck :banghead:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Sweet board! What is the idea with the butt tail as opposed to a traditional swallow?

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
ifallalot said:
Sweet board! What is the idea with the butt tail as opposed to a traditional swallow?
From Dave: "butt tail is new offering mainly just for aesthetics. it is like a rounded off bat or diamond because it pushes the pivot point up the rail line but relieves any end point on the rail line like the others would"

I'm a sucker for asthetics, soooooo.... :dancing:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Has anyone had issues with the width of the tail on these guys as the waves get a little more juice? I'm not talking big waves. Is it like the original Rocket where tail rocker helps to compensate for width when it gets a little bigger?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I think it's time for Jim, to box up the EPS Tech lams. They look like they belong on an early 80's craft where there were humongous Epoxy by Wahoo lamintes,
s========

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
ChaseTMP said:
I think it's time for Jim, to box up the EPS Tech lams. They look like they belong on an early 80's craft where there were humongous Epoxy by Wahoo lamintes,
s========
WTF :shrug:
Are ya the guy who has to install his QS and Hurley sticker perfect every time for the ultimate shred machine :monkey:

saucerboy

Nep status
Aug 10, 2009
Santa Cruz
spjones123 said:
Has anyone had issues with the width of the tail on these guys as the waves get a little more juice? I'm not talking big waves. Is it like the original Rocket where tail rocker helps to compensate for width when it gets a little bigger?
Yeah, kind of. It's probably because I'm a kook but I find the rear slides around more than I'd like in waves with a little power. This has been with the 4.875 stretch controllers. I'm going to start experimenting with other fins to bring the drift/drive balance closer to my ideal.

I generally really like the board. Maybe trying to reduce the sliding is fighting the design of the board and I should either embrace it or switch to a different design.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
@chase absolutely not, if you don't like it get a poly...

@spjones my buzzsaw is 18.75" wide. I surf primarily SFOB and have had it out on a couple head high days with some push. board felt great and very confidence inspiring for a DD shape. i have yet to knife into any steep drops however, so still waiting to see how that goes...

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
thekadvang said:
If you read my post, it's not the "tech" i dislike, it's the (IMO) dated looking EPS TECH laminate Stretch is putting on some of the boards. I've only ridden EPS (mostly Haydens) the past few years. I had a custom Stretch about three years ago, an early version of his Skate, which went really well.

I think Stretch has been on the forefront of EPS technology and (to me) emblazoning the board with that lam, makes it look like he is a recent adopter of the technology.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
rowjimmytour said:
ChaseTMP said:
s========
WTF :shrug:
Are ya the guy who has to install his QS and Hurley sticker perfect every time for the ultimate shred machine :monkey:
Nope, I only get the protractor out for my Affliction and Ed Hardy sticker applications.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
guys - im trying to decide on the tail for a buzzsaw I want to order

6'4 X 21' X 2.75

Im 205lbs, this board will be for smaller waves - should I go with swallow or squash?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
ChaseTMP said:
thekadvang said:
If you read my post, it's not the "tech" i dislike, it's the (IMO) dated looking EPS TECH laminate Stretch is putting on some of the boards. I've only ridden EPS (mostly Haydens) the past few years. I had a custom Stretch about three years ago, an early version of his Skate, which went really well.

I think Stretch has been on the forefront of EPS technology and (to me) emblazoning the board with that lam, makes it look like he is a recent adopter of the technology.
Stretch has different tech :shrug: eps tec (6/4/6, s cloth, deck channels, bamboo stringer), eps (4/4/4),Legacy construction (cork deck, bamboo bottom, carbon) or polyester :wave2:
When ya see the eps tech ya know the board is going to be strong :rockin:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
rts265 said:
guys - im trying to decide on the tail for a buzzsaw I want to order

6'4 X 21' X 2.75

Im 205lbs, this board will be for smaller waves - should I go with swallow or squash?

I just got a diamond tail grovelbuzz and I think that tail works good for small waves where my bat tail and thumbtail work better in good waves. I think my superbuzz is more hp because of the thumbtail and shorter rail line and the fact the controllers did not work for me but they work great on my grovelbuzz.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
saucerboy said:
spjones123 said:
Yeah, kind of. It's probably because I'm a kook but I find the rear slides around more than I'd like in waves with a little power. This has been with the 4.875 stretch controllers. I'm going to start experimenting with other fins to bring the drift/drive balance closer to my ideal.

I generally really like the board. Maybe trying to reduce the sliding is fighting the design of the board and I should either embrace it or switch to a different design.
did you have it set up as a quad or tri?
i recently got one and had it at a reef on the eastside one day w/ some punch and it felt really good to me
i was running large performer fronts and medium rears [fcs ii]
bringing it to mexico for my trip
going to try the performers and the medium merrick set
will have a full report when i get back

saucerboy

Nep status
Aug 10, 2009
Santa Cruz
Running as a quad. Just picked up a set of the MR twin+trailer fins. In one short session I noticed more drive. Going to try it with a larger trailer as a thruster as well as with other quad rears. See how that goes.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
saucerboy said:
Running as a quad. Just picked up a set of the MR twin+trailer fins. In one short session I noticed more drive. Going to try it with a larger trailer as a thruster as well as with other quad rears. See how that goes.
My superbuzz works great in good waves w/ the SF4 fronts and ST3 thruster set :wave2:

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
saucerboy said:
let us know how that goes
i have the mr 78s and i want to try them too

adam33

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 23, 2005
Long Beach, NY
Any feedback on the Buzz template fins? Have a 6'0 Buzz saw that I finally clicked with but wondering how Stretches controllers would work…
I now am using FCS AM1 fronts and Mayhem rears with a nubster. I'm digging but I feel in weak waves I wouldn't mind a bit more drive.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
adam33 said:
Any feedback on the Buzz template fins? Have a 6'0 Buzz saw that I finally clicked with but wondering how Stretches controllers would work…
I now am using FCS AM1 fronts and Mayhem rears with a nubster. I'm digging but I feel in weak waves I wouldn't mind a bit more drive.
They work great in grovel waves and clicked for my grovelbuzz but did not like them in my superbuzz. I also just got the AMT set up w/ small back fin I am going to try but I have some grinding to do w/ that crazy 1/4" concave around the front fins :foreheadslap: