Stingrays & Meat tenderizer

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Heard a funny thing today........... to keep meat tenderizer in your vehicle for stingray stings. Huh?

Some are convinced that it breaks down the venom and helps with the pain when you don't have access to a hot water bucket/lifeguard tower. Sounded ridiculous to me, but than i googled it and came across others claiming the same. Saw something about the ER recommending it to somebody as well.

So my question is, am I the only one that has never heard of this? Have you tenderized?

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Not really. As a kid I was taught about using meat tenderizer helps for removing a bee's stinger, but nothing about neutralizing venom.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
It only works if the meat tenderizer is inside your foot. Just don't tell tRump it's a cure got covid.

The real deal, so a doctor told me, is heat. Put the injury in as hot water as you can stand.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Meat tenderizer has also long been recognized to neutralize and break down whatever Portuguese man of war tentacles leave on you.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Waiting as long as you can with the sting in the water helps a bunch. Then heat. And mezcal.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Also putting it in the hottest water you can stand. The proteins act like an egg in boiling water.
This really works the best. It's the best things for man o' war stings too. When my kids were little I used to bring hot water in a thermos to the beach because somebody would always get zapped and be screaming. Now they're older, they can suck it up :LOL:

Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Well great, and here I've been letting strangers pee on me when I could have just as well....oh, sting ray...nevermind, carry on.