Stepanek Surfboards

Feb 22, 2019
SB
I've ridden a couple of his fishes and they went real good.

He's very versatile and forward-thinking with influences from the past ie. Greenough, Simmons, Lis, Ekstrom... He was mentored design-wise by Richard Kenvin I believe.

I have two boards on order from him at the moment, an asym widowmaker and an asym twinzer. Super cool to talk boards and design with and really stoked to see how they come out.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Nice!

His boards look really good. Post up some pics when yours come in. I'm especially interested to see what the asym twinzer looks like.

Do you happen to know if he works with EPS or does he only do PU?

Feb 22, 2019
SB
jkb said:
Nice!

His boards look really good. Post up some pics when yours come in. I'm especially interested to see what the asym twinzer looks like.

Do you happen to know if he works with EPS or does he only do PU?
No idea actually... I've seen him do Varial boards, but he seems like a pretty open-minded shaper.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Live in SF and have always been intrigued by his boards. Bought a 6'4" step-up twin + trailer with channel bottom off CL and rode it a bunch this year before snapping it :(

Was a milky boar. Kinda looked like this one: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiXzGTMHhad/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Beautiful outline and foil with forward foam under the chest and super knifey rails. Big single channel with two mini channels that the fins sat in and a deep single concave. Rode it with True Ames fins + trailer on Griffin's recommendation.

Board rode really well. Had a ton of lift from the concave and channel (which honestly isn't the best here given the bad surface conditions most of the time) and was very zippy for a 6'4". Was too long for me for turns (I really wanted to get it into like an OH+ pointbreak situation), but was an insane barrel board. Early entry and really fast/sensitive.

Was very bummed when I broke it, but rode it enough to definitely want to order a board from him. His boards seem to constantly be improving and he does a performance twin that looks insane. Also a super nice guy -- very accessible on Instagram and talked boards/fins with me for a while when I bought some of his paddle keels and picked them up in person.

If you're into what he's doing, would def get one. His asyms also look interesting...

Feb 22, 2019
SB
Bringing this thread back because I'm probably a month or so less away from getting my boards.

We eventually decided on an asym 5'5 kind of groveler daily driver twin fin and an asym 6'7 widow maker thing meant for medium to big waves.

I put my faith in his design and theory skills as I have no much more idea of what they look or are shaped like other than what I've described above.

Also looking in to trading an Andreini to Daydream for one of his fishes.

Excited to say the least.

Reactions: SharkBoy
Feb 22, 2019
SB

Just picked this 5’3 up a couple weeks ago. Everything is asymmetrical except for the outline, twisted rocker too. Definitely something to get used to, really easy to transition rail to rail, lays over onto the heels fast with a ton of hold. Has the volume you need for a traditional fish glide buy is foiled out and really just feels like a performance fish. Can’t wait to get my hands on the customs coming my way.

Reactions: SharkBoy

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Bringing this thread back because I'm probably a month or so less away from getting my boards.

We eventually decided on an asym 5'5 kind of groveler daily driver twin fin and an asym 6'7 widow maker thing meant for medium to big waves.

I put my faith in his design and theory skills as I have no much more idea of what they look or are shaped like other than what I've described above.

Also looking in to trading an Andreini to Daydream for one of his fishes.

Excited to say the least.

You ever get your boards?

Mine:
-missed the 1st eta w/ 'the glassers...'
-missed the second eta w/ no reply to my email(n)
Going on 8 weeks at the glasser, wtf
and the shaper has o_O

Feb 22, 2019
SB
You ever get your boards?

Mine:
-missed the 1st eta w/ 'the glassers...'
-missed the second eta w/ no reply to my email(n)
Going on 8 weeks at the glasser, wtf
and the shaper has o_O
He just recently told me they’re right around the corner but no date. Been a bit over two months since order date so I’m not too fussed about it.

He did mention that their main color laminator had shoulder surgery and was working slower than usual.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019
SB
Told me mine were done today and he was gonna email me some stuff, did you get emailed stuff? (Bad stuff)