Step up for large/mushy waves (north San Diego)

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Almost pulled the trigger on a Holi Moly and have felt some up and talked to a couple people about them. A guy I surf with every now and again has one and loves it. The last time I saw him it was like head high and a little weird despite perfect conditions and he was getting wave after wave. Talking to him after the session, he said it handles as big as this beach can hold which is probably about 12' faces with fat to steep sections. Talking with shop kid he was telling me the batches they get can vary and the last batch seemed to be more tuned towards back end than previous despite same noe widths. Also mentioned he thought 6'10" - 7' was kind of the sweet spot as the board does require some input vs. the glide of say a 2+1 mid. I mentioned I thought it would be fast with quads as I love my performance egg with quads. He was not a quad guy so........ he also said he knew a few older guys that were riding them in barreling surf. Couple CI M22s have showed up locally with the stronger glass jobs that I want to check out. Still looking at phots of the 2 outlines in parallel leads me to believe the Holi Moli is slightly more tuned.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Almost pulled the trigger on a Holi Moly and have felt some up and talked to a couple people about them. A guy I surf with every now and again has one and loves it. The last time I saw him it was like head high and a little weird despite perfect conditions and he was getting wave after wave. Talking to him after the session, he said it handles as big as this beach can hold which is probably about 12' faces with fat to steep sections. Talking with shop kid he was telling me the batches they get can vary and the last batch seemed to be more tuned towards back end than previous despite same noe widths. Also mentioned he thought 6'10" - 7' was kind of the sweet spot as the board does require some input vs. the glide of say a 2+1 mid. I mentioned I thought it would be fast with quads as I love my performance egg with quads. He was not a quad guy so........ he also said he knew a few older guys that were riding them in barreling surf. Couple CI M22s have showed up locally with the stronger glass jobs that I want to check out. Still looking at phots of the 2 outlines in parallel leads me to believe the Holi Moli is slightly more tuned.
I could totes see you getting one. RV surfdawg loves his.

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Swarmis looked way funnerer at this size.
Derrick Disney (twinzer guy) on the first wave and at 00:48, 6:18 ?

Those look like the kind of waves I'm making the Middleman for....but that crowd :socrazy:

To OP- Support your local shaper (and fin foiler- Marlin Bacon)-

Last edited: