Step Rails

Feb 15, 2024
To the erBB brain trust, anyone here have opinions on boards with a step rail on the deck and bottom? Any benefits or drawbacks to the design?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
IMG_2032.JPG
My locally shaped fish with step rail and the tri plane bottom that came from Greenough's kneeboard edge designs and was adapted for stand up riding in Michael Cundith's Stubbies. Super efficient paddler...just feels hydronamically right underneath you when paddling and dare I say...fast and loose...when riding a wave. A mate of mine has a round pin twin with the same bottom from the same shaper that I sold to him...he's dubbed it..."The levitator."
Notice Ellis's edge board bottoms have also now evolved from the pronounced edge he was doing before.
http://instagr.am/p/C20u5hXyQES/

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024
Nice- I've spent most of my time surfing standard thrusters/short boards with the occasional longboard sessions interspersed here and there.
Recently started riding a bonzer, and have gone down the rabbithole of reading up on vintage design- Would this design (Greenough-style rail set-up) do well in your standard beach break, like in the South Bay?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Notice Ellis's edge board bottoms have also now evolved from the pronounced edge he was doing before
Mike theorized that Elis is making a more subtle bottom contour on his multi-fin boards due to the edge boards being easily over finned (meaning singles are best on true edge boards)
I think that tri-plane fish will work great at beach breaks. Looks sweet, is it flax glassed? My board will be very similar bottom contour wise .
I would suggest going down the twinzer rabbit ️ hole while you're at it

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Mike theorized that Elis is making a more subtle bottom contour on his multi-fin boards due to the edge boards being easily over finned (meaning singles are best on true edge boards)
I think that tri-plane fish will work great at beach breaks. Looks sweet, is it flax glassed? My board will be very similar bottom contour wise .
I would suggest going down the twinzer rabbit ️ hole while you're at it
Flax bottom with Paulownia deck and cork rails. It’s a 5’8” and I have a 5’10” TKF in same shape/construction.

Reactions: need 4 speed