Squid Game on Netflix

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
So good, despite language change. Wish they show in original language with sub titles.

Reactions: Havoc

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I will watch this eventually. But just brought myself to finally watch The Sopranos, finished the 1st season last night. I probably won't start anything new until I finish that one off.

BTW, I'm really digging the Sopranos, but it's different than I expected... not so serious with some borderline cartoony characteres..

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I will watch this eventually. But just brought myself to finally watch The Sopranos, finished the 1st season last night. I probably won't start anything new until I finish that one off.

BTW, I'm really digging the Sopranos, but it's different than I expected... not so serious with some borderline cartoony characteres..
so good. feels a bit dated now when i try to re watch but a great series. def loses a bit of the comedic touch in the later seasons.

• Love
Reactions: brukuns

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Squid Games is awesome. We've been watching the dubbed version, but with subtitles. It's interesting to see the voiceovers don't match the translation in the subtitles a lot of the time. Usually just subtle differences, but the subtitles seem better "written" to me.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Actually... I'm watching the Sopranos alone... I might pick Squid Game to watch with ms brukuns... she can't really binge, probably 1 per night before she crashes and I get to my own series.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Squid Games is awesome. We've been watching the dubbed version, but with subtitles. It's interesting to see the voiceovers don't match the translation in the subtitles a lot of the time. Usually just subtle differences, but the subtitles seem better "written" to me.
I read somewhere there are 2 different english subtitles, and one of them is more accurate because it was translated straight from Korean while the other one was based on the english dubs.

• Wow
Reactions: PJ

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
"English [CC]" subtitling option on Netflix derives from the dubbed version of the series, so if you switch that setting from "English [CC]" to "English," you will get a much more accurate reading

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki

Just finished the Sopranos myself and like you, a bit different than I expected but really liked it.

Reactions: brukuns

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
The Sopranos rocks - been through it a couple times. anyone who grew up in NJ can relate to it.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Sopranos is fantastic - years ago my wife and I binged the first couple of seasons on rental VHS in a darkened living room over a weekend or two. Felt fairly unhealthy - as long as the kids stayed in the basement with the Nintendo and left us alone we were happy - we couldn't stop. The movie 2001 A Space Odyssey was brilliant but in Star Wars the space ships looked dirty and used and I appreciated that extra bit of reality. I loved The Godfather but Tony Soprano's grinding day in and day out dealing with stupid random problems and trying to manage the incompetent rusty knifes in his employ (but they are HIS rusty knives) made it seem to me like a truer version of what mob life must be like.

Squid game is great. My wife and I have long watched sub titled shows and loved them but with Squid Games she asked me for the first time to play the dubbed version. I think its because she wants to communicate on her iPhone on and off during the show and doesn't want to lose the plot. Which makes me wonder if dubbing is more important now that people are communicating on and off on their smartphones all the time. And the Squid Game dub cast is the same as "The Heist" and some other shows - some Japanese shows and maybe others - I'm really getting to recognize their voices which puts an odd sort of common thread through all these shows.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Sopranos good but was expecting show bout singers got crazy family killers instead
Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever thought about why it was called the sopranos

tony’s mother is one of my all time favorite old person charachters
So f’n funny

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Sopranos is fantastic - years ago my wife and I binged the first couple of seasons on rental VHS in a darkened living room over a weekend or two. Felt fairly unhealthy - as long as the kids stayed in the basement with the Nintendo and left us alone we were happy - we couldn't stop. The movie 2001 A Space Odyssey was brilliant but in Star Wars the space ships looked dirty and used and I appreciated that extra bit of reality. I loved The Godfather but Tony Soprano's grinding day in and day out dealing with stupid random problems and trying to manage the incompetent rusty knifes in his employ (but they are HIS rusty knives) made it seem to me like a truer version of what mob life must be like.

Squid game is great. My wife and I have long watched sub titled shows and loved them but with Squid Games she asked me for the first time to play the dubbed version. I think its because she wants to communicate on her iPhone on and off during the show and doesn't want to lose the plot. Which makes me wonder if dubbing is more important now that people are communicating on and off on their smartphones all the time. And the Squid Game dub cast is the same as "The Heist" and some other shows - some Japanese shows and maybe others - I'm really getting to recognize their voices which puts an odd sort of common thread through all these shows.
This is one of the reasons that I enjoy subtitled shows and movies so much. I have a very short attention span, and the subtitles force me to focus. I also notice with sub-titled shows that my lady actually watches more intently, which subsequently lowers the amount of online shopping she does and doesn't have her asking "what just happened?" nearly as often. Not to mention the often awkward dubbing when I've tried to watch foreign shows in English. Money Heist is one of my favorite--if not my favorite-- shows, watched in Spanish with English subtitles, of course. If anyone hasn't watched that show, I would highly suggest it.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
2 eps in. decent show, usually get bored mid episode when a storyline drags with filler content, but don’t have the problem with this series.

read the director says he lost like 4 teeth making this?

that’s some artisanal flair!