Squatters

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Never ever notify authorities of squatters. Never.

There shouldn’t even be a court process. Squatting is breaking and entering. Fuck ‘em. Tell them to get the fuck out and if they threaten you in any way, defend yourself. it’s your fucking house.
i agree with this.

i‘d resort to guerilla tactics. smoke grenades would not be out of order. send in the belgian malinois.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Never ever notify authorities of squatters. Never.

There shouldn’t even be a court process. Squatting is breaking and entering. Fuck ‘em. Tell them to get the fuck out and if they threaten you in any way, defend yourself. it’s your fucking house.

Considering the amount of money at stake it's better for us to go through the court. Could be different for individuals.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
People just say “prop 13!” as a dog whistle that can mean a bunch of things but typically it means that older homeowners/landlords are greedy fucks because fewer of their dollars are stolen in form of taxes and that somehow hurts renters.

I wouldn’t bother trying to understand it because it’s just nonsense.
As a dog whistle? I don't think you're using that term correctly.

And, no, my point isn't that it hurts renters. It's that it benefits homeowners and landlords. Simple as that. What does that have to do with this topic? because when @grapedrink realized squatters weren't in fact solely a blue state problem (see post 12), he then proceeded to try to make the point CA was extremely unfriendly to landlords. Maybe true. But def true that there is a massive tax benefit to landlords.

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
A little off-topic, but during covid, governor horseface Murphy of New Jersey said security deposits could be used to pay rent. My thought was “my, isn’t he generous with other people’s money”. I don’t remember him later decreeing that it must be paid back. I’m wondering what happened with that, if anything.

• Wow
Reactions: GromsDad

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
you should see the new renter policies in Santa Monica

it's absofknlutely unsane

it will kill rentals in the city

but maybe that's teh point....?
As a landlord I'm thinking hard about selling some of my properties and putting the money elsewhere. The gig sounds great. Go surfing and wait for those checks to roll in. It ain't that easy. It's kind of a pain in the ass. By the time you figure in rent control, maintenance, property taxes, the hassle, it really isn't that great of a gig.

I had one tenant who painted the walls black and had an alter in one of the bedrooms. I don't want to know WTF went on in there. I see the new tenant and I'm going, "So... uhhm... how are things going in there? Seen any goats on the premises? ? Has a portal to hell opened up in the back bedroom?"

There was a story I heard years ago. A house up on the Avenue was vacant. Shitbag squatters broke the lock and moved all their sh!t in. Owner called the cops. He was told he needed go through eviction proceedings that take around 90 days. Meanwhile they're in there remodeling the place with a chainsaw. He got a thousand dollars cash and 4 cases of beer and went down the way to the Hells Angels clubhouse. 2 hours later his "tenants" had moved out.

Sometimes violence really is the answer.

If you have a place vacant, put an alarm system on it. You'll know within minutes that there is someone in your place. The squatter is then unable to move anything in and take root.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
As a dog whistle? I don't think you're using that term correctly.

And, no, my point isn't that it hurts renters. It's that it benefits homeowners and landlords. Simple as that. What does that have to do with this topic? because when @grapedrink realized squatters weren't in fact solely a blue state problem (see post 12), he then proceeded to try to make the point CA was extremely unfriendly to landlords. Maybe true. But def true that there is a massive tax benefit to landlords.
Anything that benefits landlords also benefits renters.

As a landlord myself I can assure you with 100% certitude that any increase in cost of ownership will directly result in an increase in the amount of rent I charge.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
As a landlord I'm thinking hard about selling some of my properties and putting the money elsewhere. The gig sounds great. Go surfing and wait for those checks to roll in. It ain't that easy. It's kind of a pain in the ass. By the time you figure in rent control, maintenance, property taxes, the hassle, it really isn't that great of a gig.

I had one tenant who painted the walls black and had an alter in one of the bedrooms. I don't want to know WTF went on in there. I see the new tenant and I'm going, "So... uhhm... how are things going in there? Seen any goats on the premises? ? Has a portal to hell opened up in the back bedroom?"

There was a story I heard years ago. A house up on the Avenue was vacant. Shitbag squatters broke the lock and moved all their sh!t in. Owner called the cops. He was told he needed go through eviction proceedings that take around 90 days. Meanwhile they're in there remodeling the place with a chainsaw. He got a thousand dollars cash and 4 cases of beer and went down the way to the Hells Angels clubhouse. 2 hours later his "tenants" had moved out.

Sometimes violence really is the answer.

If you have a place vacant, put an alarm system on it. You'll know within minutes that there is someone in your place. The squatter is then unable to move anything in and take root.
I have heard that HA story before.

Get ‘er done….

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Anything that benefits landlords also benefits renters.

As a landlord myself I can assure you with 100% certitude that any increase in cost of ownership will directly result in an increase in the amount of rent I charge.
To be clear, I'm not proposing the removal of Prop 13. And fully agree that the removal of Prop 13 would impact renters for obvious reasons. However, as a landlord's property value increases and their taxes stay relatively stable.... their profit margins grow. It's a good deal for landlords and homeowners alike. No question about it.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
To be clear, I'm not proposing the removal of Prop 13. And fully agree that the removal of Prop 13 would impact renters for obvious reasons. However, as a landlord's property value increases and their taxes stay relatively stable.... their profit margins grow. It's a good deal for landlords and homeowners alike. No question about it.
Explain how profits magically grow by having a stable tax liability.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Explain how profits magically grow by having a stable tax liability.
It's not magic. Just math. Rents can legally be raised up to 10% per year (or 5% plus inflation). Your CA property taxes increase at a glacial pace by comparison.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It's not magic. Just math. Rents can legally be raised up to 10% per year (or 5% plus inflation). Your CA property taxes increase at a glacial pace by comparison.
Unless you bought your property over a decade ago you are still paying a pretty decent amount in property taxes.