Squamous Cell Carcinoma

over the falls

Tom Curren status
Jan 11, 2002
clownburg the OC
Squemous cell carcinoma isn't just skin cancer. It is an enzyme
the body produces. I have stage 4 carcinoma. It turned into throat cancer
and thyroid cancer. Mine was from smoking pot and cigarettes. I surfed
Almost everyday of my life from 5 yrs old. No sun protection , nothing.
Squemous Carcinoma is a wide field of cancer. You have small cell( very aggressive ) my case from
smoking pot and cigs. And sun damage. Either way. The enzyme and cells are now in
you're body. After 9 surgeries, I'm still here Fukking around with you crazies. My days are
Numbered. No big deal. I still do everything I'm not suppose to,
Drink , smoke cigs and pot. I'm like a Fukking cockroach that won't die.
I had 323 internal stiches and 87 external stiches. 77% of my lymphnodes have been
Removed from my throat and jaw bone. I lost 3/4 of my upper and lower tongue. They removed seven
Lymph glands in my chest where this stupid sh!t had spread. My point is- enjoy life. I'm trying to quit smoking and everyone of freaks know my stupid story. No pity. No bullshit!! I live a great life and accept all the effects from surfing and alcohol and drugs. I'll let God sort it out. Back to my point! If it's in you're face? It's now in you're body. You have now created the cancer
enzyme to come back. Please keep getting checked. I go through a full body scan at Hoag every three months.
Stay on top of it and watch for painful moles and skin irritations. Other than that, go have a cold beer, enjoy. Maybe the next time you post ? You'll be sick with mega chemo and radiotion.

Go out big! Like I will, or go out miserable .

Just keep getting checked from now on.

I think I'll grab me a beer and a smoke.

FUCK IT!!! 👍🏄

• Sad
Reactions: diro

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Steak said:
frvcvs said:
Squidley, you seem more unhinged than usual. Take a step away, breathe deep and relax. The gays may be marrying and the poor blacks may have healthcare but everything is gonna be alright. I promise.

As for skin cancer melanoma is the only one that scares me. My father had it to go along with his lung and prostate cancer. I'm on the 6 month plan with the dermatologist. He carves me up like a turkey.
Side effects from the AIDS???

:shrug:
Imitation is the highest form of flattery...

Eunice

Oct 2, 2007
A Magical and Wondrous Place
otf said:
Squemous Carcinoma is a wide field of cancer. You have small cell( very aggressive ) my case from
smoking pot and cigs. And sun damage. Either way. The enzyme and cells are now in
you're body. After 9 surgeries, I'm still here Fukking around with you crazies. My days are
I had 323 internal stiches and 87 external stiches. 77% of my lymphnodes have been
Removed from my throat and jaw bone. I lost 3/4 of my upper and lower tongue. They removed seven
Lymph glands in my chest where this stupid sh!t had spread. My point is- enjoy life. I'm trying to quit smoking and everyone of freaks know my stupid story. No pity. No bullshit!! I live a great life and accept all the effects from surfing and alcohol and drugs. I'll let God sort it out. Back to my point! If it's in you're face? It's now in you're body. You have now created the cancer
enzyme to come back. Please keep getting checked. I go through a full body scan at Hoag every three months.
Stay on top of it and watch for painful moles and skin irritations. Other than that, go have a cold beer, enjoy. Maybe the next time you post ? You'll be sick with mega chemo and radiotion.

FUCK IT!!! 👍🏄
I love you. Or rather, we love ourselves, don't we? :wink2:

• Haha
Reactions: diro

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Fuller said:
Oh boy, the skin cancer thread...

Another Mohs surgery the other day, no biggie but I have to take it easy so I don't pull some stitches. Six months ago it was a wide excision for a stage 1 melanoma. It's a drag getting cut up so often but I'm glad to still be around.

My sister is going in next week to cut off here nose.

Both sisters are getting skin cancers all the time.

When's my time gonna come?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
otf said:

FUCK IT!!! 👍🏄
Despite the gnarly cancer, and that is gnarly, you made it to the age where people die of old age. (To me that age is 50. After that you can go at any time and it's not a surprise.)

I would frame it as a win.
:cheers:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Now I am really thrilled about today's visit. Maybe I'll go run some wavestroms over. :roflmao:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My father went in for a squamous on his neck a couple of years back and they did something where they keep cutting until its gone. They cut him from behind his ear almost down to his collar bone. Lots of stitches. Pretty gnarly.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Can't even read this whole thread bc it gives me heckin anxiety, but I had basal cell on my nose as a 31 year old. Just sun exposure and my family seems to get them.

Every surfer should go to a dermo at least once a year even if you don't think you're at risk.

I go every 6 months and watch my skin like a hawk because I'm higher risk.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
rts265 said:
ok, so I had/have what really looks like a actinic keratosis/bowens disease for several weeks now -

seeing the derm tomorrow

it looked kind of like this a couple weeks ago

https://www.sciencephoto.com/image/251812/800wm

it has gotten better, just a kind of red discoloration, would not notice it if it wasn't scaly and raised to start with.

is that good that it got better? I'm seeing the derm either way. I've gotten quite stressed about it.

How long did this take you out of the water if you do get treatment?
Hope it all goes well and you get a clean result today! I was out of the water for about 3 weeks or so after my surgery. The doctor didn't want me doing anything that could potentially pull the internal stitches for a while longer but I figured I'd be ok.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
otf said:

FUCK IT!!! 👍🏄
I don't know you, but I'm glad you're still with us and here for your boys! Regular checkups are the key to staying ahead of things getting out of hand. I've seen my dermatologist every 6 months since my surgery and thankfully, nothing else has presented itself. I was just there 2 weeks ago and things look good.

:cheers:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
thanks man. dont look up hashtags (#squamouscellcarcinoma), especially while trying to eat lunch is my advice!

yeah - I am scared, but mostly worried about how long I would be out of the water if I need treatment.

man we are f'ing selfish!

I hope thats the the worst news it could be, hoping its nothing at all.

Kinakeet

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 11, 2004
SD for now
Great timing for this thread to pop up again, second melanoma cut last week this time on my head, 24 stitches. Doc said great I've been taking care of my self for the last 20 years unfortunately it was the first 30 that F'ed me up. Now I'm a bucket hat guy in the water. Brutal trying to stitch the head though, felt they were trying to pop a zit when then were stitching me up.

obslop

Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
just had some flesh removed for biopsy. at least it was back of neck.

last time around they took the sample from my lip and then the lab lost the sample so they had to take another sample from my lip. nothing came of it but damn - getting a needle in your lip doesn't feel good.

i should add - i've been going to dermatologist two times per year for many years. not something you want to get behind the curve on.

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
I’ve been pretty good on using sunscreen since my 20’s, but there weren’t many options when I was a grom and every kid on the block had such a badly burned nose that they were cracked and peeling by the end of each summer.

Just had a biopsy on my lip and I was really expecting the big C, but dodged a bullet I guess.

Keratosis frozen off some spots in the past and now I’m doing the atomic face melt with flourourcil- sucks to be a shut in right now but at least I’ll be done for summer.

Kinakeet

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 11, 2004
SD for now
MelesMeles said:
I’ve been pretty good on using sunscreen since my 20’s, but there weren’t many options when I was a grom and every kid on the block had such a badly burned nose that they were cracked and peeling by the end of each summer.

Just had a biopsy on my lip and I was really expecting the big C, but dodged a bullet I guess.

Keratosis frozen off some spots in the past and now I’m doing the atomic face melt with flourourcil- sucks to be a shut in right now but at least I’ll be done for summer.
How long do you have to stay inside?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
so, it was nothing. good wake up call though, I never really used sunscreen until the last year or so - been in the sun since I was a kid.

for the lips do you just put sunscreen on them, or is there a chapstick or something you guys would recommend?

what about hands and feet?

one reason I've avoided sunscreen is because I don't want to make anything slippery when surfing.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
rts265 said:
for the lips do you just put sunscreen on them, or is there a chapstick or something you guys would recommend?
If you're using a physical block style sunscreen (and you should) it can go right on your lips. Chapsticks work too. Sometimes I put on Chapstick first, let it sink in and then put sunscreen over it. Probably overkill.

what about hands and feet?
I don't. Unless I'm sitting in direct sunlight outside of the water, then I'll do the tops of my feet. Never have had sunburned hands in my life.

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
KINNAKEET said:
MelesMeles said:

It usually takes 6-8 weeks. Somehow the radioactive cream forces out all of the bad cells it builds over time and you end up looking like you have a chemical burn or similar. I’m about a week in and I have red spots that are getting pretty sensitive to sun and hot water in the shower. After all the bad Sh** is forced out it scabs and then peel like a snake. Once it heals you have shiny new skin and kinda look like a trophy wife that had a chemical peel.

If you google it there is tons of photos showing people’s daily progression. Depending on how much sun damage you have it can look pretty gross. You can also use it on the back of your hands, neck, forearms that have been overly exposed. Doomed is the soul that hung out at Black’s naked for 29 years.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
MelesMeles said:
KINNAKEET said:
MelesMeles said:

It usually takes 6-8 weeks. Somehow the radioactive cream forces out all of the bad cells it builds over time and you end up looking like you have a chemical burn or similar. I’m about a week in and I have red spots that are getting pretty sensitive to sun and hot water in the shower. After all the bad Sh** is forced out it scabs and then peel like a snake. Once it heals you have shiny new skin and kinda look like a trophy wife that had a chemical peel.

If you google it there is tons of photos showing people’s daily progression. Depending on how much sun damage you have it can look pretty gross. You can also use it on the back of your hands, neck, forearms that have been overly exposed. Doomed is the soul that hung out at Black’s naked for 29 years.
I used that stuff on my lips. Had chronic chapped lips which turned out to be something that needed to be removed. That cream sucked ass but it really worked to clear it up. Hope I don't have to do it again anytime soon. Good luck .

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I was being treated for SCC on both of my forearms when I started shivering uncontrollably one an afternoon in April 3 years ago. Many blood transfusions followed that lead up to a biopsy that diagnosed MDS (Bone Marrow cancer).