Special Prosecutor

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
And there it is. Nice to see Rosenstein has a backbone. Hopefully, this will clear up the Russian investigation one way or the other, in a way all parties can have faith in. Sorry in advance for the long cut and paste:

The Justice Department on Wednesday appointed former FBI Director Robert Mueller as special counsel to oversee the federal investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, including potential collusion between Trump campaign associates and Russian officials.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein appointed Mueller to the position in a letter obtained by CNN. Attorney General Jeff Sessions previously recused himself from any involvement in the Russia investigation due to his role as a prominent campaign adviser and surrogate.

As special counsel, Mueller is "authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters," according to the Justice Department order Rosenstein signed.

Mueller's appointment aims to quell the wave of criticism that President Donald Trump and his administration have faced since Trump fired FBI Director James Comey last week in the middle of the FBI's intensifying investigation into contacts between Trump campaign associates and Russian officials. That criticism swelled on Tuesday evening as excerpts of a memo Comey wrote in February surfaced, in which Comey writes Trump asked him to drop the FBI investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn.

That news intensified demands from Democrats on Capitol Hill for the Justice Department to appoint a special counsel or prosecutor to oversee the case. Republicans on Tuesday evening began to join those calls.

"In my capacity as acting attorney general, I determined that it is in the public interest for me to exercise my authority and appoint a Special Counsel to assume responsibility for this matter," Rosenstein said in a statement, adding that the decision is "not a finding that crimes have been committed or that any prosecution is warranted."

"What I have determined is that based upon the unique circumstances, the public interest requires me to place this investigation under the authority of a person who exercises a degree of independence from the normal chain of command," Rosenstein said.

Rosenstein said he believes a special counsel "is necessary in order for the American people to have full confidence in the outcome."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/politics/special-counsel-robert-mueller/index.html

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
stu dog said:
how long before we hear about Cheeto trying to influence Mueller
he's been unusually quiet since the Comey Memo story broke. I think he may finally be listening to lawyers who are telling hims to STFU.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
frvcvs said:
stu dog said:
he's been unusually quiet since the Comey Memo story broke. I think he may finally be listening to lawyers who are telling hims to STFU.
give him another day and he'll be onto the next Twitter meltdown. He goes in cycles.
or maybe this one will be longer as he's on a 5 day weekend vacation this week. by Monday he'll be back to his normal crazy self

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
This is good news

When Trump is cleared, it will only highlight how insane the Dems are

Expect increased majorities in 2018 as a result

Further deterioration of mass media credibility too

Winners keep winning

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
So is Rosenstein a good guy now?

It's so hard to tell.

Yesterday, he was a villain who justified the Comey firing

An "obstruction of justice," right?

Now he is a straight arrow

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
stu dog said:
frvcvs said:
stu dog said:
give him another day and he'll be onto the next Twitter meltdown. He goes in cycles.
or maybe this one will be longer as he's on a 5 day weekend vacation this week. by Monday he'll be back to his normal crazy self

yup.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
An alternate view on the decision to appoint a special prosecutor. Sorry, I don't have access to the WSJ article, so here's one from The Hill discussing it:

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/333992-wall-street-journal-special-counsel-a-mistake

They make some valid points imho. Although, given the news that Trump's top pick over the weekend to head the FBI was a Republican Senator from Texas (before he declined the invitation), I think Rosenstein still made the right choice.

Does this look like more liberal media hysteria to you GromsDad?? :loser:

Itriggeralot

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 16, 2015
Coney Island
His name was Donald Trump. 45th President of the United States of America, disgracefully impeached and executed for treason.

-History Books 2030

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017

Thomas Friedman doesn't think the Republicans have the integrity to impeach him. Let's all come back down to Earth.

From The New York Times:

It’s Chicken or Fish

Elected Republicans won’t stand up to Trump’s abuse of power, like his asking James Comey to halt the Flynn-Russia inquiry. So now you have a choice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/opinion/trump-republicans-2018-elections.html?mwrsm=Email

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Why would anyone be so foolish to think house and senate republican's have integrity?

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
During his tenure, he oversaw prosecutions that included Panamanian leader Manuel Noriega, the Pan Am Flight 103 (Lockerbie bombing) case, and the Gambino crime family boss John Gotti.

Director Mueller, along with Deputy Attorney General James B. Comey, offered to resign from office in March 2004 if the White House overruled a Department of Justice finding that domestic wiretapping without a court warrant was unconstitutional.

So he's prosecuted dictators and organized crime leaders, has widespread respect within the FBI and congress (approved in the Senate 100-0). Also has stood up to the White House and won.

I couldn't imagine a more appropriate choice. He's pretty much Comey's dad.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
shackwell said:
This whole Russian thing is 100% liberal fiction.

Unfortunately, the stupid masses believe it, .....and they know that.
That's the crazy part. It's not just online trolls that say sh!t like this. Close childhood friend and trump voter I talk to regularly told me hours ago that he doesn't believe that there's even partial truth to any of this. That this is 100% fabricated by liberals and the media to take down the president. Isn't it giving them an awful lot of credit? I mean look at the other side, they tried to fabricate the narrative about Seth Rich being murdered by HRC yesterday and it didn't have the legs to make it till lunch time. You mean to tell me that the dems and the media have the means to fabricate a story that's slowly developing over the course of 6 months and take it this far? Then again you clowns investigated benghazi for years. But there was some truth to it. The embassy really existed and the attack really happened. You fvcktards won't even acknowledge that much about the russia scandal. 100% :foreheadslap:

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
Russia no importa, pendejo. Es la obstruction of justice. Comey on the stand next week... "Yes, he asked me to not go forward with our investigation of Flynn." That's it. Grounds. I'm sorry you're aligned the way you're aligned. It's genetic, supposedly, like Asperger's. Probably partly influenced by environment. Was your family also afflicted?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Whether or not the Russia thing turns out to be true, that's obstruction of justice no madder how you slice it. Trumpy is just digging himself deeper and deeper into a hole.

And his cronies don't want to admit he's bringing it upon himself :roflmao:

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Mueller is getting so much praise from BOTH parties that HE should run for president. He probably would NOT want to be president. No truly sane person wants to be president. That is why the most qualified persons should be drafted into running for president.