South Florida Ocean Water Temp Hits 101 degrees

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Any explanation as to why that one specific spot is significantly higher than all the others?

What’s the calibration date on that thermometer?

All of my measuring devices, thermometer, and flow meters I use for work have to be calibrated every 6 months.
Dont worry guys, duffy is on the case!

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper and jkb

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Any explanation as to why that one specific spot is significantly higher than all the others?

What’s the calibration date on that thermometer?

All of my measuring devices, thermometer, and flow meters I use for work have to be calibrated every 6 months.
The thermometer is probably fine. Explanation would be, Manatee Bay doesn't get cross-flushed, and if the wind is in the Southwest (it was in this case), the water level will be noticeably lower. Most likely it has a dark mud bottom, so it heats up like crazy in the heat of the day. No rain, and it gets over 100. So probably the wind was working against whatever incoming tide there was and it blazed under the sun, when normally, that area sees very persistent E/ESE/SE trades this time of year, and even if it doesn't get directly rained on, odds are, the sun is probably behind thunderheads after 2-3pm most days.

It's not like the rest of those observations are all directly connected to Manatee Bay, and they're not all in a wide-open swath of water like Florida Bay. They're in these little pockets off sounds on the backside of the Upper Keys, basically where the Everglades end and the shallow water lagoon habitat begins.

I can't speak for this season at that end of the state. Up in North Florida, we had one of the more mild Mays, especially at the end, I've ever seen. Two weeks into June and someone cranked the heat, and it's been hotter than normal, a bit wetter than normal, and more way more offshore than normal.

Some Summers, it feels like I can go most of the summer and never see it offshore at lunch time, like it will go dead at 10:45-11, start to come onshore 11:15, be textured at noon, and choppy by 12:30. Not this year. Tons of days where it's offshore all day, or it's well into the afternoon before it swings around.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Water temp on the East Cape Baja back during the El Niño of '97 hit 92. That was almost unbearable especially when it was 95-100 on land. Trying to get cooled off sucked.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
There are rumors of brain and flesh-eating bacteria in the Currituck/Albermarle Sound and some deaths - @HatterasGlass can you confirm?

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
The 98.4 obs between the two 96.3 and 96.4 obs is probably the badly calibrated one.

I thought similar to shartbisquick - lack of circulation, probably the obs was midday, too. It would be even more impressive if that temp was without sun.

but, Duffman is not wrong for questioning calibration dates and standards used. Do they calibrate these stations above 100F? Legitimate question.

If they have a legit calibration certificate I expect the PI of the station would be waving it on the front page news bc measurement people love setting measurement records.

Reactions: PRCD

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
The 98.4 obs between the two 96.3 and 96.4 obs is probably the badly calibrated one.

I thought similar to shartbisquick - lack of circulation, probably the obs was midday, too. It would be even more impressive if that temp was without sun.

but, Duffman is not wrong for questioning calibration dates and standards used. Do they calibrate these stations above 100F? Legitimate question.

If they have a legit calibration certificate I expect the PI of the station would be waving it on the front page news bc measurement people love setting measurement records.
Duffman questions everything and then he speculates an answer as fact. It's all speculation of professionals in the field doing the research. They even quote the researcher saying the high data # may be invalid for various reasons.

I've seen plenty of temp numbers on the front pages but have yet to see accompanying dates on the calibration of instruments. Research papers yes, newspaper reporting no.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I've seen plenty of temp numbers on the front pages but have yet to see accompanying dates on the calibration of instruments. Research papers yes, newspaper reporting no.
plenty of research papers with chitty calibration info, too.

if you work in a world of sensors and calibration, you learn rarely is anyone doing more than the minimum as required by their governing authority bc calibration is a major PIA and is expensive.

do you really think all the moorings in the middle of nowhere are calibrated in any regular fashion? the ship time on that task would be enormous and never ending. They so their best and hit the ones they can when the funds are there.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

if you work in a world of sensors and calibration, you learn rarely is anyone doing more than the minimum as required by their governing authority bc calibration is a major PIA and is expensive.

do you really think all the moorings in the middle of nowhere are calibrated in any regular fashion? the ship time on that task would be enormous and never ending. They so their best and hit the ones they can when the funds are there.
In addition to cal, which has a huge effect when measuring small changes, what about sensor placement? For example, what if you put a thermometer here?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

as there are incompetent and/or lazy researchers.
Averages, overall trends, and noting abnormalities all add to understanding. The understanding does not lay with raw numbers. but with why and how those numbers are what they are.
Jez, statisticians...

The general populace constantly putting into question professionals in the field is not helpful to anyone.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Vibrio.