Solite Boots Review

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Wore the 3mms in Oregon through a winter and loved them. After five months of wear the heel ripped off one of them putting it on though. Good feel and warmth, not so good durability.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
3mm boots in Oregon?? not for me. had the solite's 6mm and 8mm booties. they fit nice and don't soak up water but they are not very warm compared to other brands and the durability is pretty poor.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
How cold can you go without booties? I've surfed up in Washington without booties on a trip once, because I forgot to throw them in the car before I left. It wasn't too bad but locals were looking at me weird. :roflmao:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
How cold can you go without booties? I've surfed up in Washington without booties on a trip once, because I forgot to throw them in the car before I left. It wasn't too bad but locals were looking at me weird. :roflmao:
I saw someone out without booties yesterday. Not sure how they dealt - it was chilly.

I am very impressed that my O'Neill split toe booties laid unused in the garage for, what, 10 years, and had seemingly zero decomposition issues. Feet were nice and toasty in the water too. I have no idea of the thickness as I don't think there was any differentiation in what you bought back in the era those were made.

Reactions: jkb

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
people who regularly surf with booties over 3mm - do you ever get used to it?

My folks got me a pair of 5mm ripcurls accidentally a few years ago for xmas. I usually wear 2mm here in socal winters. I tried them twice because i figured worst that can happen is ill be warmer and felt like I was surfing with sponges strapped to my feet. Never had one good wave with them on. Does it get better or is it simply, deal with out of necessity?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

My folks got me a pair of 5mm ripcurls accidentally a few years ago for xmas. I usually wear 2mm here in socal winters. I tried them twice because i figured worst that can happen is ill be warmer and felt like I was surfing with sponges strapped to my feet. Never had one good wave with them on. Does it get better or is it simply, deal with out of necessity?
It's not the booties causing you to surf bad. :nana:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

You do get used to them. I used to only wear 3mm boots but switched to 5mm and it's fine. It depends on the brand though because I'll trip with some brands and be fine with others.

Reactions: Aruka and CutnSnip

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
You do get used to them. I used to only wear 3mm boots but switched to 5mm and it's fine. It depends on the brand though because I'll trip with some brands and be fine with others.
Totally. You kinda have no choice but to get used to them. Where I'm at you can get away with 5mm but some years ago I went 7mm and haven't looked back. Few things hinder performance more than cold feet in my experience. You gotta make sure they fit snug though. Once they stretch out and get all sloppy and full of water it's fuggin over.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Agree about the durability issues and lack of warmth. I really liked the 2017 iteration of these because they fit super tight and didn't let water in. With each year they have gotten progressively less water tight. I just picked up a pair of the 2021 Custom Pros and they were full of water after one session. Even went down a full size as I do with all booties.

Anyone have a recommendation for wide but thin feet with high arches?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Willow Creek. You show up on a good day; The ocean is yours.
on a big swell.

Nobody gives a sh!t about your booties. Maybe calling a hellicopter in to rescue
you...

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Anyone try those O'neill ninja booties? Thinking of grabbing a pair for warm days and afternoon sessions

Planet_Erff

OTF status
Jan 11, 2007
too close for comfort
I had some 7mm boots (for 30s F water) that actually had amazing board feel and never had any issues at all with. They were incredibly warm, nice and fuzzy on the inside too and dried super fast. I've always suspected durability however as the "soles" were basically the raw neoprene with some thin lines of tread rubber drizzled on zig zag style. Pretty sure they are 2 year old but still holding up just fine so far.

I moved to somewhat warmer climes (low 50s water) and got some 5mm boots that tripped my feet up every other wave. Thick soles were the problem. Felt like I was wearing Timbaland boots. Ditched them after 2 sessions and got some 3mm Sol Lites instead. Like other posters are saying, they are not as warm as other 3mm boots I've worn. But for my purposes they are plenty warm and most important I feel zero hindrance from them from a performance standpoint. I'm very happy with them.

Reactions: jkb
May 24, 2020
I completely agree with you. Solite brand boots have become disgusting. There was a time when they made great boots, and I was delighted with them. It is very far that this is happening.
Now I have a new favourite, and these are boots from rockroosterfootwear.com. I use these boots for hunting, at work, and when I go to the mountains. They are simply universal and have never let me down yet. Besides, the price more than suits me.
Those searching for the perfect working boots can take note of this brand.
I hope that over time they won't start spoiling everything either. I don't really like to be disappointed.

Last edited: