Solarez Ding Repair?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
The reviews seem pretty good. Any issues using this ready made ding repair on a PU board?

Not even sure its going to suck water as it's more like a chip in the side of the nose where you can barely see the texture of the cloth but its not really punctured deep..??.. I tried to suck air out of it and pretty sure it's tight, but would rather be safe and put a small bit of something on there to smooth it out and be sure it's sealed.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I've used it several times. It works but it comes out ugly. I would only use it on a surf trip in an emergency situation, personally.

I always a ding repair kit at home (I think it's liek 20 bucks) that I use for all of my repairs.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
The reviews seem pretty good. Any issues using this ready made ding repair on a PU board?

Not even sure its going to suck water as it's more like a chip in the side of the nose where you can barely see the texture of the cloth but its not really punctured deep..??.. I tried to suck air out of it and pretty sure it's tight, but would rather be safe and put a small bit of something on there to smooth it out and be sure it's sealed.

for fixing the type of small ding you're describing, solarez works just fine

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I use it for damn near all my repairs and I sell my boards as “dings fixed professionally” and never had someone look twice.

if it’s not sunny out I have a cheap blacklight LED flashlight from Amazon.

if a ding is big or deep enough I’ll add some 4oz e cloth. only on big repairs the size of a fist will I consider a proper repair kit, which is really just sanding resin without bits of fiberglass anyway.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I’m liking the looks of this method with the packing tape sticky side up to smooth it perfectly since the repair will be on dark blue rails so sanding would make things look rough in a hurry.

Reactions: paunch23

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Sun Cure comes with a couple sheets of thin, clear film so you can use the same technique as above.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’m liking the looks of this method with the packing tape sticky side up to smooth it perfectly since the repair will be on dark blue rails so sanding would make things look rough in a hurry.

Sticky side down works fine. Blue painters tape does as well.

tape over the top for a no sand finish.

it’s nice if you have an old beater to practice on. I learned on a beat to chit long boar I brought back to life.

Reactions: SurfMission

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
Stuff works really good - I only use it for smaller stuff or on trips but it seems to already have some cloth fibers in it and hardens well if properly prepped

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I’ve always had issues with it being so much harder than the surrounding glass that I weaken the areas around it and the ding just sort of zippers down the line. I think I try to be too much of a perfectionist and want it perfectly flush.

I’ve tried off and on for 30 plus years, with enough successes that I will try every once in a while, but I have enough boards that I leave ding repairs to the pros for the most part.

Reactions: weskussurfer
I use Solarez as a quicky when I need it fast. In my repair shop I always chip it out and repair correctly. One place Solarez is great is the Epoxy version. Gassing makes epoxy repairs a nightmare, but with a uv epoxy filler and my blacklight I can fill in quick and stop the air blow out and am able to fix with the correct materials

Reactions: GromsDad

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

He could get rid of every single item used in this video except for one and would be right back in the water.

Any guesses?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Sticky side down works fine. Blue painters tape does as well.

tape over the top for a no sand finish.

it’s nice if you have an old beater to practice on. I learned on a beat to chit long boar I brought back to life.
Yeah, I’ve just put the masking tape, sticky side down right on the wet resin. Peel off when it hardens. Maybe a little tape sticks to the resin. Guess what? Sand it off.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Gassing makes epoxy repairs a nightmare,
I think you meant EPS, (which requires epoxy obviously). I’ve never had an issue w PU/epoxy repairs.

And it is Very easily avoided, but adds a step:
mix a small amount of epoxy resin and use a chip brush to “lightly” baste all exposed EPS foam/entire area to be repaired. That’ll seal it. After it cures proceed as normal.

Biggest PIA for me about epoxy is it REALLY wants to be the right temperature and it’s kinda cold here year-round. So I heat it up by letting a container of it sit in a warm jar of water. Epoxy that’s too cold pools like baby oil.

The UV ding repair resin/chopped glass tha comes in squeeze tubes should be used/thought of as a “session saver” - fix it real quick n get right back in the water. Followed by removing that and repairing properly at a later time.

Last edited: