So what now? erBB's ?

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Did not realize the original erBB came from alt.rec.surf. Of course, I came from alt.surfing from around 1994. Think I got on the Surfer Magazine Bulletin Board circa 1998. I hate when communities fade away. It's like a family, definitely dysfunctional.
If I recall correctly, and I might not, when I say "came from," it's that a lot of of the Usenet surfing forums (I think there were 3 or so...just cannot remember), started with most members -- but not all -- from the Bay Area. Then when the erbb came into being a lot of them joined early and a majority of the early chatter was about Santa Cruz and the Hwy. 17 surf commute...

I remember how exciting it was when my mighty 2400 bps modem actually was able to resolve a photo online...

Reactions: sponge

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
surfline transplant....when surfline shut down ...mofo...set up a forum anf we all went there and eventually migrated here....if this ever does go away...will someone please post up on standupzone or Facebook erBB...and lemme know where everyone went?..thanks
DITTO!!!

PeederNorteRips

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2008
In Your Face
Visit site
Alt.surfing.
Talk about a den of miscreants and ne'er do wells. Alt.surfing was a total free for all with an entire range of personalities.
Bob Gleshna, the Great Lakes transplant from California who saved urine in ziplock bags in his car. Preston Onkst, who was a troll of epic proportions, and some guy called "Sponge" who took great pics. ;)

Reactions: byoda and sponge

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
We need to get back to the days of wicked, vicious trolls.

Isn't there a erBB FB page?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m not saying anyone really uses it, just saying it exists, with about 100 members. I’m more intrigued about the one posted above

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Talk about a den of miscreants and ne'er do wells. Alt.surfing was a total free for all with an entire range of personalities.
Bob Gleshna, the Great Lakes transplant from California who saved urine in ziplock bags in his car. Preston Onkst, who was a troll of epic proportions, and some guy called "Sponge" who took great pics. ;)
Those were the days. Such characters not unlike some on this board.

Here was my attempt at putting together a history of the newsgroup, from my perspective anyway.

AS_pimp_mobile1.jpg
The AS Pimp Mobile

• Haha
Reactions: PeederNorteRips

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
If I recall correctly, and I might not, when I say "came from," it's that a lot of of the Usenet surfing forums (I think there were 3 or so...just cannot remember), started with most members -- but not all -- from the Bay Area. Then when the erbb came into being a lot of them joined early and a majority of the early chatter was about Santa Cruz and the Hwy. 17 surf commute...

I remember how exciting it was when my mighty 2400 bps modem actually was able to resolve a photo online...
Got it. Believe most who were online back then were from government, industry and academia that got online early. Hence lots of folks from the Bay area.

I started online at work, then got a 4800.

Interestingly, just found this Wall Street Journal article from 1997 referencing both alt.surfing and Surfer mag's "Monster Bulletin Board."

Reactions: Boneroni

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Anyone remember the Mavericks forum? It quickly divulged into pure debauchery and was subsequently shut down because of it.
I do. And yeah, it got shut down and a bunch of them made their way over here. Frankly this place went downhill when a couple of dedicated political posters started on it. It's never been the same. Everything is politicized/polarized now. Everywhere.

Don't mind me. I shouldn't post while this depressed. It's not this place, it's just everything. Everything is a pile of sh!t lately. Everything is winding down, coming to a close. Time to crawl back into my hole and pull the hole in after me. It's my anniversary today. Put on a happy face and make like it's all OK. Fake it until you can make it. Outta here for awhile. If nothing is here when I come back, most of you know where to find me. Later.