So...Need Essentials Wetsuits...what's the verdict?

Apr 26, 2016
Recently looked at their non wetsuit stuff...and from someone who makes their living off knowing the real details of technical outdoor equipment, you probably don't want to spend your $ there.

The patterning on that harshell sucks balls. You can already see the bottom seam of that jacket lifting up when he puts the hood up. Seam tape is big by today's standards. Bottom hem channel is huge. Using bar tacks to close off zipper garages introduce more holes into the laminate. Also just the cut of the jacket is bulky.

The down jacket and insulating jacket also has a shitty looking fit to it. That picture of the back of them shows how boxy and not refined they are. Also the bottom hem of the down jacket lifts just from zipping it up. "With goose down the warmer the jacket is, the lighter the jacket will be, the longer it will retain it's loft and firmness" Sorry but that is just not true on so many levels.

Yes getting at the factories that make product for The North Face, Patagonia, etc is easier than ever but those companies have more people working on just fit in just one category (ex. snow sports) than Need Essentials has in their whole company. That isn't a dig on Need, but again you're WAY better off spending you $ on used gear or wait for the sales from the people who know how to actually craft it.

I do love that they're supporting Surf Splendor, but man does that apparel need work.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
nomad said:
Recently looked at their non wetsuit stuff...and from someone who makes their living off knowing the real details of technical outdoor equipment, you probably don't want to spend your $ there.

The patterning on that harshell sucks balls. You can already see the bottom seam of that jacket lifting up when he puts the hood up. Seam tape is big by today's standards. Bottom hem channel is huge. Using bar tacks to close off zipper garages introduce more holes into the laminate. Also just the cut of the jacket is bulky.

The down jacket and insulating jacket also has a shitty looking fit to it. That picture of the back of them shows how boxy and not refined they are. Also the bottom hem of the down jacket lifts just from zipping it up. "With goose down the warmer the jacket is, the lighter the jacket will be, the longer it will retain it's loft and firmness" Sorry but that is just not true on so many levels.

Yes getting at the factories that make product for The North Face, Patagonia, etc is easier than ever but those companies have more people working on just fit in just one category (ex. snow sports) than Need Essentials has in their whole company. That isn't a dig on Need, but again you're WAY better off spending you $ on used gear or wait for the sales from the people who know how to actually craft it.

I do love that they're supporting Surf Splendor, but man does that apparel need work.

Didn't know they were getting in the outdoor gear business too LOL. :roflmao:

No tech specs or real specifics on any of their jackets = forget it.

Not to mention some of their reviews sound pretty fake:
"This is the perfect jacket. Fits incredible and looks the part. "
"Wow.... A Great Product So stoked on this jacket. Super warm and comfortable. And how can you beat the price, you can't. Go get one."
"Best shell I've worn in a long time. Quality of a $900 Arcteryx... Must have." :rolleyes:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
My second 4/3 is treating me well so far, down to 56-57 ish water and 37 air.
I’ve been comfy. I think the neck could be a tad more snug, but super happy with
the quality and value. My 3/2 is Uber comfy too but not super warm..more like a quality
2/2 IMO. I don’t want to use it in sub 40 dawn surfs.

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
Racer1 said:
Anybody bought their mountain gear? specifically that patagonia looking jacket for $120?

https://www.needessentialsusa.com/collections/mountain/products/primaloft-insulator-jacket

Going on a trip soon and wouldn't mind have a lightweight, logoless shell.
Just saw this... I bought the jacket and its great. Not water proof/resistant but very warm, blocks the wind and can handle light rain without getting wet on the inside.

It does run a touch big and could have been slimmed up a bit, but its not anything absurd. It also has sinces at the waist which cut down on the boxyness near the bottom another poster mentioned.

Their suits are still definitely their best product but I was pretty happy with the insulator jacket I got.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Seems like high quality materials. More interested now that they're offering a key leash.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Backdoooor said:
bird. said:
They do have an MT these days, but here's what I got regarding the availability of LTs as of 2/28:

"Sorry to be a downer…but no, LT isn't on the near term plan."
How is this still a farking issue? Complaints for years about no LT and still no LT.
I'm 6'3" and 185-190 with long arms and legs. I'm guessing a L would be short on the sleeves, legs, and balls... and the XL baggy on the arms and waist. Anybody similar size experience otherwise?

Every full suit i've owned since the year 2000 or so has been an Xcel.
Same build as me, almost exactly, I've just got 10 lbs on you. Xcel is the only thing that has ever come close to fitting, but the Drylock I had recently sucked, constrictive 1/2 zip entry and the damn thing was 30 lbs when wet. Picking up a custom 7till8 Yamamoto today, It was north of 500 bucks but screw it. I'm tired of ill fitting wetsuits that make me feel like I'm surfing with a weight belt and resistance bands on my shoulders. I'm old, it's cold and the waves are sh!tty, I don't need any extra handicaps.