So Cal Wind

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
What is the weather pattern that is causing these godawful early gale force winds and when are we going to see a break? It's becoming ridiculous

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
It's caused by the eddy that sits over southern California. It's the same weather pattern that causes the typical "June Gloom" in the summer months. Here is a good link to more information about it:

http://www.surfline.com/community/whoknows/whoknows.cfm?id=1018

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
hgsouth said:
What is the weather pattern that is causing these godawful early gale force winds and when are we going to see a break? It's becoming ridiculous
It's called "late Spring in So Cal".

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
hgsouth said:
think we should pray for it to continue and keep temperatures down. with the drought we can't afford another hot dry summer like last year.

h8scoldh20

Michael Peterson status
Dec 30, 2010
Bay Area
the last month or so there has been consistent troughing off the west coast with weak low cells diving south. los angeles recorded a reverse spring with overall temperatures decreasing from march through may. san diego got the second greatest rainfall ever recorded in may.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
stu dog said:
hgsouth said:
think we should pray for it to continue and keep temperatures down. with the drought we can't afford another hot dry summer like last year.
.......or we can chalk this up to normal weather patterns on this spec of the earth, which it is.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
VonMeister said:
stu dog said:
hgsouth said:
.......or we can chalk this up to normal weather patterns on this spec of the earth, which it is.
last summer wasn't normal. we can't afford a repeat of it without solid water supply to get through. this year's late spring starting into summer has been pretty normal. would be good to see the trend continue.

kookycooky

Nep status
Sep 5, 2014
May Grey, June Gloom. Every year on the dot. I'm just sick of surfline calling 3-5 ft everyday.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I believe a huge part of last spring/summers above normal temps had a LOT to do with both the much warmer than average ocean temps and the slacking off of the NW outer coastal winds that persisted for months, into Fall.

Usually those NW winds keep the Cal coastal regions in almost near perfect temps. Heating inland tends to reinforce those afternoon sea-breezes, because of the thermal draw in the 100 degree deserts and inland valleys. Once the ocean temps rise (usually just surface warming in So Cal), the difference between the coast temps and inland temps is reduced somewhat, and the sea-breeze either starts later in the morning, or doesn't pick up nearly as much as the Spring temp differences.

It's trippy sometimes, specially into summer. Sometimes there will be solid nice seabreeze at my house a few miles inland and up on a mesa about 300 ft above sea level, but almost no wind down on the coast. Many days, I'll be at home in the afternoon, thinking it's blown out down at the beach, but checking cams, and it's almost glassy, if not any wind. Sometimes it will be the exact opposite.

The inversion layers can do interesting things in summer in So Cal.

mahoa

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 31, 2008
Surfdog said:
hgsouth said:
It's called "late Spring outrigger season in So Cal".
fixed

captyoda

Nep status
Feb 18, 2013
North County
hgsouth said:
i had good wind today in Hb for like 20 mins :drowning:

BajaBoojum

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 21, 2009
San Diego
I really missed June Gloom and May Gray last year. Yesterday the water felt about 60F, which was the coldest (almost) I've felt all winter in NCSD. Hope the upwelling and clouds continue to keep the fair weather surfers down in numbers...

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
It's not keeping the fair weather surfers out very well in my neighborhood :(

Actually, yesterday was quite fun. Wind was a slightly different direction and didn't blow the waves to shreds but it was nasty out so it was uncrowded.

Yes I know Spring in San Diego. I just don't remember it being so relentless with the wind.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
BajaBoojum said:
I really missed June Gloom and May Gray last year. Yesterday the water felt about 60F, which was the coldest (almost) I've felt all winter in NCSD. Hope the upwelling and clouds continue to keep the fair weather surfers down in numbers...
I don't know where you surf but I've been trunking it all week up here. It's in the high 60's

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
BajaBoojum said:
So ya have to wear your 4/3, booites, and gloves a couple more months :shrug: