Small GWS breach this morning

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Was out at 15th this morning in small, clean conditions. Was paddling back out after a wave and a little 5-6' GWS breached clear out of the water about 20' directly in front of me. Checked the Surfline rewind and found it, although it's a bit far away. The breach is in the upper right corner, and I'm the person paddling towards it. Was awesome to see close up.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
My son is good friends with a couple of guys that guard for Del Mar. They say they see them all the time when cruising the line up in their zodiac.
My son saw a 6 footer cruising the inside of north peak Blacks the other day. They are out there and the population is growing. Only a matter of time before there is sea lion/harbor seal carnage at the Cove as the juveniles decide to stick around into adulthood.

Reactions: sdsrfr

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My son is good friends with a couple of guys that guard for Del Mar. They say they see them all the time when cruising the line up in their zodiac.
My son saw a 6 footer cruising the inside of north peak Blacks the other day. They are out there and the population is growing. Only a matter of time before there is sea lion/harbor seal carnage at the Cove as the juveniles decide to stick around into adulthood.
Here in 805 I believe the big guyz/gals grow up and move out to the channel islands:shark:

Reactions: bonzer5fin

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
I was at boneyards by myself on a longboard and rode right next to a 6 footer or so, I paddled down to swamis and sat in the pack after that. Another time I was pushing my daughter into waves at Georges and saw one breach outside of us, we were so far inside, I didn't tell her and we stayed in the water.
The scariest encounter I had was at the north jetty oside and a shark attacked a big sting ray about 20 feet away from me and two other guys, it was just violent thrashing and blood, i managed to paddle over the top of a small wave that I normally could not have ever caught and bellied into the beach, adrenaline od on that one.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I saw my first shark in SD this Monday at Blacks. Maybe the same shark. It was 5:15 pm mid peak. The waves sucked but I was the only one out, one other person at south peak.

6 foot about 8 feet away from me. Just saw the main tip barely above water, dark shadow/body, and the wake from the dorsal. Such a stealth motion, torpedo like. I was sitting outside just waiting for miracle set waves.

When I saw him, decided to pull my Blue and Yellow swim fins slowly out of the water, went on my belly and put the feet and flippers up in the air as I turned and paddled back inside. Of course there were no waves to help, but wasn’t freaked, though did paddle strong and consistent. Juvenile 6 footer.

Then I stopped and decided to get my boxing guard up when I was semi inside...you know…Thinking I was Chuck Norris on a Yellow, Red, Blue kneeboard with Mahi Mahi looking swim fins dangling just under the water. :foreheadslap:.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
So after I went in and was changing on the beach, I saw two girls getting ready to go out. So of course I wanted to check them out, so I cruise up and tell them I saw a shark, and asked them if “Flo was in town?“ you know wives tale stuff, just a heads up.

First time asking a random female if she was on her period...does that sorta count as Dwarf Touch Status?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I saw my first shark in SD this Monday at Blacks. Maybe the same shark. It was 5:15 pm mid peak. The waves sucked but I was the only one out, one other person at south peak.

6 foot about 8 feet away from me. Just saw the main tip barely above water, dark shadow/body, and the wake from the dorsal. Such a stealth motion, torpedo like. I was sitting outside just waiting for miracle set waves.

When I saw him, decided to pull my Blue and Yellow swim fins slowly out of the water, went on my belly and put the feet and flippers up in the air as I turned and paddled back inside. Of course there were no waves to help, but wasn’t freaked, though did paddle strong and consistent. Juvenile 6 footer.

Then I stopped and decided to get my boxing guard up when I was semi inside...you know…Thinking I was Chuck Norris on a Yellow, Red, Blue kneeboard with Mahi Mahi looking swim fins dangling just under the water. :foreheadslap:.
It was Sunday evening around 6:00 when he saw what is probably the same fish. There's been several sightings down there over the last year or so.... To me, it's a sign of a healthy ecosystem and while potentially scary / dangerous it's a good thing. Noticing bigger squadrons of Pelicans cruising the line up as well.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
So after I went in and was changing on the beach, I saw two girls getting ready to go out. So of course I wanted to check them out, so I cruise up and tell them I saw a shark, and asked them if “Flo was in town?“ you know wives tale stuff, just a heads up.

First time asking a random female if she was on her period...does that sorta count as Dwarf Touch Status?
Wait!! You change on the beach? You must learn the way of the jug.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Here's what a breach looks like from below, from a 14' GWS. Filmed this last October, headed back down in Sept.

It doesn't look like it should work. Like it's too heavy and not moving fast enough. Trippy power

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Two or three swipes of their tail, coming straight up from below will get them out of the water. It's crazy to see. They can appear and disappear SO fast when they want to.

Last edited: