Slater Designs FRK Plus

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
his off the floor stock shapes go better than his handshapes.......so he reckons.
I would have to agree with the GOAT on this one. I had an XTR Revo prior to the Firewire Revo and the firewire version feels much better! Same flex but more durable/stronger; looks better; and has stayed whiter longer than any XTR I’ve ever owned.

If you can find a stock board that lines up with your dims it’s a solid choice. At least in the iBolic build.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I would have to agree with the GOAT on this one. I had an XTR Revo prior to the Firewire Revo and the firewire version feels much better! Same flex but more durable/stronger; looks better; and has stayed whiter longer than any XTR I’ve ever owned.

If you can find a stock board that lines up with your dims it’s a solid choice. At least in the iBolic build.
hate to be pedantic, but XTR Tomos are were not exactly a "handshape" like I imagine KS gets from shapers like Mann, Tokoro, Tomo, Akila, etc. But regardless, it seems like you are stocked on the ibolic build. Wonder if you would like it as much in a non-tomo shape? LOL. I'm sure it's miles superior to LFT, and glad they have addressed the yellowing epoxy resin. I'm curious to feel one up next time I'm in Birds shop.

boards must carry a lot of thickness throughout. Volume seems pretty high for the dims.
the FRK+ squashtail?

Reactions: sh3

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I randomly surfed with a friend that used to surf one of my south shore regulars. He’s a corporate guy at FW/SD. He said the FRK with a squash tail is the one big release this year.

We had an interesting talk. Most of you guys know the story. Start of pandemic surf industry cancelled orders fearing lockdowns and recession. Lockdowns and restrictions happened along with stimulus checks and surf, skate, bike sales went straight up. Industry orders to catch up to demand. Pandemic wanes, no more stimulus checks, rent is due, back to work/school. War in Ukraine crashes European surf sales. Overstocked. If you noticed over the holidays lots of FW/SD sale pricing. So to offer up new models they need to dump existing stock.

I asked about Akila’s model The Flat Earth. He said it’s a high performance boar and people think it would ride easy like a fish twin. Interest waned when the average dude couldn’t get it to perform highly. He’s worried about the Mike Woo twin in the works too cause it’s even a little more performance oriented than the Flat Earth.

He offered me a bro deal if I ever want to get off my 30 plus years relationship of custom Tokoro’s and jump on a production FW/SD boar. Then he laughed cause he knew it was a no go. Haha.

The Machado models and the Ingelby mids and longboars are the big movers. Easy to catch waves and be mediocre on them.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
how abruptly the tail pulls in after the bump, relative to the rest of the outline, looks weird to me. but what do I know
1677700790842.png

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I randomly surfed with a friend that used to surf one of my south shore regulars. He’s a corporate guy at FW/SD. He said the FRK with a squash tail is the one big release this year.

We had an interesting talk. Most of you guys know the story. Start of pandemic surf industry cancelled orders fearing lockdowns and recession. Lockdowns and restrictions happened along with stimulus checks and surf, skate, bike sales went straight up. Industry orders to catch up to demand. Pandemic wanes, no more stimulus checks, rent is due, back to work/school. War in Ukraine crashes European surf sales. Overstocked. If you noticed over the holidays lots of FW/SD sale pricing. So to offer up new models they need to dump existing stock.

I asked about Akila’s model The Flat Earth. He said it’s a high performance boar and people think it would ride easy like a fish twin. Interest waned when the average dude couldn’t get it to perform highly. He’s worried about the Mike Woo twin in the works too cause it’s even a little more performance oriented than the Flat Earth.

He offered me a bro deal if I ever want to get off my 30 plus years relationship of custom Tokoro’s and jump on a production FW/SD boar. Then he laughed cause he knew it was a no go. Haha.

The Machado models and the Ingelby mids and longboars are the big movers. Easy to catch waves and be mediocre on them.
You should at leasttttt try it bro. lol. Just take one for a spin. I recommend the SKX... shortboar with a nice rail line, good rocker :jamon: lol.

• Haha
Reactions: teeroi and Havoc

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
You should at leasttttt try it bro. lol. Just take one for a spin. I recommend the SKX... shortboar with a nice rail line, good rocker :jamon: lol.
Hard pass duuu. I’m sure the boars float and I could blandly surf them. I’ve known Wade and Kerry Tokoro for over 40 years and been getting boars from Wade for 30 plus, Kerry for over a decade. They’ve seen me surf countless times witnessing my “glory” years and continuous decline. There’s no way a stock mass produced boar could ever replicate that.

I don’t want to be the one to tell you Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny isn’t real, but Kelly doesn’t ride stock SD boars in the fancy lamination tech they market. His Pipe winning Tokoro was a PU/PE with a black stripe painted down the middle.

Lots of the custom team boars are the FW/SD foam and glassing schedules but a lot aren’t.

I saw Daniel Jones surfing my NS regular a month back. To scratch the YOLO itch but still support a local boar maker I’m gonna have him make me a custom performance twin closer to summer.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
...I asked about Akila’s model The Flat Earth. He said it’s a high performance boar and people think it would ride easy like a fish twin. Interest waned when the average dude couldn’t get it to perform highly. He’s worried about the Mike Woo twin in the works too cause it’s even a little more performance oriented than the Flat Earth...
That sounds about what I thought when they released the Akila flat earth. They should've done his Contempory Fish. That boar is a guaranteed good time. Would've been yuuge.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Hard pass duuu. I’m sure the boars float and I could blandly surf them. I’ve known Wade and Kerry Tokoro for over 40 years and been getting boars from Wade for 30 plus, Kerry for over a decade. They’ve seen me surf countless times witnessing my “glory” years and continuous decline. There’s no way a stock mass produced boar could ever replicate that.

I don’t want to be the one to tell you Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny isn’t real, but Kelly doesn’t ride stock SD boars in the fancy lamination tech they market. His Pipe winning Tokoro was a PU/PE with a black stripe painted down the middle.

Lots of the custom team boars are the FW/SD foam and glassing schedules but a lot aren’t.

I saw Daniel Jones surfing my NS regular a month back. To scratch the YOLO itch but still support a local boar maker I’m gonna have him make me a custom performance twin closer to summer.
+++infinity :cheers: :shaka: :cheers::shaka: