Skipper's Surf Review: Is it time to stop hating?

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
UGG boots and shorts for morning surf checks thank you. :geek:
Haha. So funny, the ads in the surf mags made them look so cool n then when I saw duus in shorts or sweatpants w them I was like “yeah, I’m a good on dat.” … at 52 I’ve kinda given up though - I wear crocs sometimes… they’re like the minivan of footwear - so practical but so fuggly.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
If the surf in san diego sucks, the surf in the rest of California is, what, not even surf?
Santa cruz is the only place on the coast that may be better, but it’s cold and dark.

The far north doesn’t even count. San fran too cold and shltty…central coast mostly sucks outside santa cruz all the way to the ranch, then it’s sb with its 80% flat days…windy ventura/oxnard? La? Fvck if i’m living in orange county…
All things considered, La Jolla has to be the best surf area in California, no?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
If the surf in san diego sucks, the surf in the rest of California is, what, not even surf?
Santa cruz is the only place on the coast that may be better, but it’s cold and dark.

The far north doesn’t even count. San fran too cold and shltty…central coast mostly sucks outside santa cruz all the way to the ranch, then it’s sb with its 80% flat days…windy ventura/oxnard? La? Fvck if i’m living in orange county…
All things considered, La Jolla has to be the best surf area in California, no?
ponto jetty. End of discussion.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I figured this was best posted here since Yurichka is probs keeping tabs. Potential new training partner for the Skipper?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Right, and S California seems to be the epicenter.

I grew up eastern LI NY n was not like that at all, I’d imagine it’s vastly different now. Prob a real sh!t show in the summer. I moved to the W coast about 30 yrs ago

First visit to San Diego was winter of 89. I was 18 n pumped…. Until I got there. Was an eye opener, I learned that surf culture, and Ugg boots, were not my jam at all. Got lucky - there were a couple of overhead swells, but was not really impressed w the wave quality or power TBH. I set my hopes too high I think. Best thing about it was the Mexican food.
Realtalk you East Coasters RUINED California except for my mom. ;)

Edit: I'm joking

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
LOL holy sh!t look how good those waves are. Clean, bowly lefts with enough size and steepness to easily push a shortboard, and an open-faced pocket and shoulder just holding the slightly oncoming quarter pipe waiting for you to take your sweet fukn time. I didn't even see 3-5 duuuus hassling and trying to paddle the section down, no duuus trying to shut the door, no duuuus padding up the face to spare themselves a duck dive.....

I mean, no sh!t your sh!t works. That was some of the least challenging surf I've ever seen. Just complete fun distilled into its purest form. Unload a hack, wobble and bog and reset in the whitewash - no worries, the wave is waiting for you to set your fins and bottom turn into the next section. Just an amazing amount of patience on the wave's part. I've seen rented mules with more urgency in their step.

Meanwhile we're out here, there's 6000 guys who blew their dad's boyfriend in the parking lot bogging ass and going straight. PVO & GFY.

Reactions: stnava

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
The Skipper in beast mode #fullsend

Comments r on point

IMG_7198.jpeg

IMG_7199.jpeg

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
The Skipper in beast mode #fullsend

Comments r on point

View attachment 174937

View attachment 174938
I cannot believe I just watched a video of a guy standing for a long time in a full suit with hood and gloves and booties watching waist to chest high waves (possibly bigger but even if so WTF) and NOT paddle out. He's suited from head to toe, and he doesn't paddle out? And he posted it of himself? Intentionally?

I've paddled out on enormous days - seriously, enormous - without a channel and just had to sac up and do it. It's awful but you try. You do it. WTF? If it's so big you're not going to paddle out, then why do you even suit up????

Seriously. That guy is an internet influencer? I'm so confused.

I'm old.

Fvck I'm old.

I know I'm old. WTF though man? WTF???????

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
After reading the comments I can't watch! :ROFLMAO: :applause2:

After seeing too many of Yuri's weird videos in my feed I had to unfriend him. I know he means well and he's funny sometimes, but couldn't do it. lol.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I cannot believe I just watched a video of a guy standing for a long time in a full suit with hood and gloves and booties watching waist to chest high waves (possibly bigger but even if so WTF) and NOT paddle out. He's suited from head to toe, and he doesn't paddle out? And he posted it of himself? Intentionally?

I've paddled out on enormous days - seriously, enormous - without a channel and just had to sac up and do it. It's awful but you try. You do it. WTF? If it's so big you're not going to paddle out, then why do you even suit up????

Seriously. That guy is an internet influencer? I'm so confused.

I'm old.

Fvck I'm old.

I know I'm old. WTF though man? WTF???????
I watched the whole thing as well. I love mocking his vids as much as the next guy, but there’s also a part of me that wants to see him challenge himself, get uncomfortable- that’s always been a part of surfing that I’ve found fulfilling.

So I watched the entire vid hoping to see him make it out n get a couple. But yeah, fck it’s like HH faces at most w bit water moving.

Reactions: sh3 and ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I love mocking his vids as much as the next guy, but there’s also a part of me that wants to see him challenge himself, get uncomfortable- that’s always been a part of surfing that I’ve found fulfilling.
Exactly.

Way more interesting than watching Noelle Salas in the wave pool or on his surfskate.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc