sizing winter board

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Common sense seems to say for added wetsuit weight and less frequent surf, add some size and volume. however, i'm already riding more than enough volume and i'm wondering if with the increased water movement and swell and i should drop volume.

how do you guys who go from trunks to 5/4's size your winter boards?

east coast surf.
middle aged surfer.

Common sense seems to say for added wetsuit weight and less frequent surf, add some size and volume. however, i'm already riding more than enough volume and i'm wondering if with the increased water movement and swell and i should drop volume.

east coast surf.
middle aged surfer.
Also East Coast surfer.
A wet 5/4 with booties and gloves is about 10 lbs extra, also it restricts movement. I would just add 20 lbs to my weight in the volume calculation. Depending on the function of the board you will adjust where the extra foam goes, gun I'd add length + thickness, groveler width + thickness.

Attachments

Last edited:

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I would size mine so that when it's that cold, but good enough to surf, I wouldn't have any problems paddling around with the extra weight. I would size up. Winter water is cold and dark...

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've often thought about this and never done anything about it. I ride the same boards from trunks to 5/4 boots/gloves/hood.

Lately I find myself riding my egg in almost everything unless it's absolutely firing and I'll grab my Ghost. So problem solved. Actually have had some really good winter session in chest to head high waves on my egg in full gear and had a blast.

A few years ago I'd ride my 5'6 Hypto mid winter. Now it sounds insane to me.

If I still wanted a more functional shortboard for winter, I'd add a few inches in length, maybe an 1/8" in thickness and a 1/4" in width. I've entertained the thought of a custom Pyzel Shortcut for this reason as sort of a winter/old man Ghost.

Reactions: oeste858

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Wetsuit weight is an interesting topic. Obviously the dry weight of a thicker suit will be heavier than a thinner suit, but not by a ton. I don't think thicker suits are necessarily absorbing more water than a thinner suit. Plus, wetsuits are buoyant and cold water is more dense, which also makes you more buoyant.

Thicker suits feel exponentially more restrictive though.

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

east coast surf.
middle aged surfer.
More wetsuit and more water movement generally equals more volume, not less.

The only instance I could see dropping volume from your trunks baseline with more neoprene and more water moving is if the problem is specifically an inability to punch out due to duck-divability. If it's head high and 8 second period I would expect "more than enough volume" to mean you are getting your ass handed to you trying to blast across the chopping block.

Is there a specific problem you could reference? Do you have barely 8 seconds to paddle, breathe, and dive/surface dozens of times on the paddle out?

Is it the common East Coast refrain of "the water's 38, air's probably worse, and it's jacking and heaving and I keep stuffing the nose or falling from the sky and getting smoked"?

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
More wetsuit and more water movement generally equals more volume, not less.

The only instance I could see dropping volume from your trunks baseline with more neoprene and more water moving is if the problem is specifically an inability to punch out due to duck-divability. If it's head high and 8 second period I would expect "more than enough volume" to mean you are getting your ass handed to you trying to blast across the chopping block.

exactly this. The wetsuit weight and float with xs board gets me bounced around and I'm wondering if less board or maybe a more narrow board might be easier to manage but still easy to paddle.

Is there a specific problem you could reference? Do you have barely 8 seconds to paddle, breathe, and dive/surface dozens of times on the paddle out?

larger boards are easy to paddle on medium and small days or longer period with trunks but i'm wondering if that steping down a little or a thinner board might make handling the board in the water easier.

Is it the common East Coast refrain of "the water's 38, air's probably worse, and it's jacking and heaving and I keep stuffing the nose or falling from the sky and getting smoked"?

not that bad. VB so waters 40s and even when it barrels it's not like obx or nj.

I have plenty of boards to try, will give a few a shot and see how it feels. Just felt a little tossed around last swell in waves that weren't all that big.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
10-12 seconds. VB will close out with anything longer.
Gotcha. If you are getting asswhooped nonstop, I'd try less volume. If there are (even minor) lulls and you're just getting kind of dragged more than desired, you might try a little narrower, a little thicker, and a little longer. Maybe something longer/thicker will paddle faster, and you'll hit the soup with more momentum, being narrower might duck better, and then being longer/thicker you'll make money with paddling speed during a lull.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
First year i have volumed up for a winter only board. Anyone that says wearing a 5/4, 7mm mitts and 7mm boots and there is no weight increase is craZ. Went from ridning 37-40L in my 3/2 to 44L for winter and it really makes a difference in the fun I am having in the water.... My guess is that you need even more volume lol.

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Luckily at my home breaks we have jetties that make for pretty easy paddle outs and provide relief from the current most of the time. I'm still using a hooded 4/3 here in NJ and 3mm gloves. When the 5mil and mittens come out in a few weeks I'll grab a thicker board.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
yeah, over the past few years i have migrated to bigger boards. When I have surfed places like obx or Nj, I can surf smaller boards even in small surf because the waves are more vertical. Here, the surf is much softer so I could struggle with a smaller board or be guaranteed a good time with a larger board. My surf time is limited so I take the safe bet almost every time. I was riding a 7'0 nautilus on the day that made me wonder this so I really doubt I need more foam. Certainly the board can handle the conditions and much more, just wondering if a little less foam will me easier to maneuver around in more low to mid period swell.

personally, I feel like it's easier to duck dive in trunks so the more foam make is more challenging and smaller period means relentless paddling getting caught inside in beach break with the wetsuit really adds to fatigue.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
For me sh!t gets real when the gloves come on, larger days so exhausted after all the duckdives I end up surfing like crap which hurts on bigger days. Was traumatized by big day last winter as described by Sharkybiscut

Reactions: JDJ

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
yeah, over the past few years i have migrated to bigger boards. When I have surfed places like obx or Nj, I can surf smaller boards even in small surf because the waves are more vertical. Here, the surf is much softer so I could struggle with a smaller board or be guaranteed a good time with a larger board. My surf time is limited so I take the safe bet almost every time.
$.02

Try to use volume more in line with what you need to punch out when it's good, but ditch rocker (and most likely length) and add width.

If your board is flat enough it should get/carry speed, push back, and project to the top of the wave or away from the foam far more readily than a board that has more curve than the mush will push. IMHO this will keep you sharper for the days you are talking about having trouble with.

Reactions: Aruka

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Kinda depends on conditions and how much I've been in the water. Jan/Feb in NY I find it hard to get motivated. I'll go a touch bigger but too much volume feels horrible to me. Feel like I get worn out quicker on a floatier board. Especially punching out thru beach breaks. I truly hate wearing gloves!

Reactions: mundus