Single Fin "Retro". McLoud?

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Getting antsy to add a single fin board to the quiver, the style and shape of board I first learn to surf on.

Internet seems devoid of solutions, except for this McLoud board: never heard of him maybe west coasters can weigh in but the board looks perfect; no idea of cost as site does not list anything.

Any input would be great. Cheers

Reactions: bigglesworth

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Getting antsy to add a single fin board to the quiver, the style and shape of board I first learn to surf on.

Internet seems devoid of solutions, except for this McLoud board: never heard of him maybe west coasters can weigh in but the board looks perfect; no idea of cost as site does not list anything.

Any input would be great. Cheers
I've been cutting Jim's boards for a number of years now. He's one of the good guys.

Reactions: rowjimmytour
Dec 23, 2018
Venice California
That looks great, what's the background on it, looks barely/never used.

I'm on the east coast, in New Hampshire
Thanks! Thought the nose on my twin looked like a nice pintail so I mixed a few templates and started messing around. I tried it with my 7.5 volan skipfrye at my local beach break and it went good but looked kinda small in the board. Think a 8.5 volan skipfrye or 8-8.5 volan greenough 4a would go better. I only weigh 135 so I prefer 2.5” thickness for midlengths. Shaped it a little thicker to appease a bigger crowd. Let a few friends try it and they seemed to like it. Just never really got the right fin so it hasn’t seen much time in the water
http://instagr.am/p/B-dCWXPHr0_/
How many total have you shaped?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Something like this is probably not as sexy as the full on north shore 70s gun but likely more practical for ordinary conditions:
1591800326000.jpeg

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
That looks sweet as well!!!

Spoke to Señor McLoud today, great guy, seems really down to earth, fun chat.

He's getting shipping cost together and such and I think once I hear back I am a green light to move forward!

Watching single fin surf vids now and can't wait for that cranked bottom turn and step forward maneuver, shoot down the line!!!

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i got a custom from ron mccloud early 80s

different guy

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Ordering him blanks is always fun.

"Hey man, I need to order some blanks."

"For who?"

"Aye, dare ye ask?? There cann be onnly one laddie!!!!"

"Truly there can BE only one!"

(in unison)"MCLOUD!!!"

"So yeah, I need 5 60R's, red density, natural rocker and ply stringers..."

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Just got it what a beauty, piece of art!!!! Did the full polish....and tropical storm Epsilon will supposedly be sending 4'-7' Friday, too soon to surf it ?!?!?!?! Ha!

Feels so nice under my arm:shaka:

Attachments

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Now that's a McCloud Happy Meal! That thing will be streaking, looks like a 70's Bolt (only minus the bolt logo)! Nice board!

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli