Sicily?

Planet_Erff

OTF status
Jan 11, 2007
too close for comfort
Anyone ever surfed in Sicily? If so, any seasons/spot info you can share?

Looks like Syracuse side + Palermo side both get swell. I know Sardinia gets good, although it has a completely different swell window.

Thanks for any insights

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
When I was in Syracuse and Ortigia it was like a lake. Aside for short period windswell I don’t imagine they ever get much. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: Planet_Erff

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Calabria could get some good windswell, too. From what I hear, a lot of the Italian west coast is longboardable most of the year. Looking forward to finding out myself, and hearing what you find.

Reactions: Planet_Erff

Planet_Erff

OTF status
Jan 11, 2007
too close for comfort
Calabria could get some good windswell, too. From what I hear, a lot of the Italian west coast is longboardable most of the year. Looking forward to finding out myself, and hearing what you find.
Nice yeah I check it on windy.com and looks like they get a fair bit of fetch/swell from the east.

re: West Coast Italy - I have only been over there once, but got some very fun (shortboardable) surf in Levanto, right by cinqueterre, in the middle of the summer. Fun peaks in beautiful warm turquoise water, with stunning cliffs surrounding the beach. A couple of the locals surfed well, I imagine they must get fairly consistent surf. (It probably helps too that they never more than a $30 flight away from portugal or france)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yes, there's waves.

It was flat when I was there, but I know people who have been when there's surf.

Beautiful place too - plenty to do if it's flat.

It seems like a difficult place to get waves though, I would imagine the wind forecast is tricky, and you'd need some really good local knowledge to know what needs what. in addition to that it seems time consuming to be checking spots.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Nice yeah I check it on windy.com and looks like they get a fair bit of fetch/swell from the east.

re: West Coast Italy - I have only been over there once, but got some very fun (shortboardable) surf in Levanto, right by cinqueterre, in the middle of the summer. Fun peaks in beautiful warm turquoise water, with stunning cliffs surrounding the beach. A couple of the locals surfed well, I imagine they must get fairly consistent surf. (It probably helps too that they never more than a $30 flight away from portugal or france)

Same, but I was there in November.
It was overhead barrels one day and flat for weeks afterward. The day before was better, but I got there the morning that Antionne & Remy are riding shortboards.Check the 1:00 minute mark section.

I think the Drive Thru series did an Italy film and the Coffins did a movie as well

Planet_Erff

OTF status
Jan 11, 2007
too close for comfort
Same, but I was there in November.
It was overhead barrels one day and flat for weeks afterward. The day before was better, but I got there the morning that Antionne & Remy are riding shortboards.Check the 1:00 minute mark section.
That looks really fun! Were you there to surf or to visit in general?

What a spot that area is. Beautiful.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I met a couple of surfers from Sardinia when I was in Corse, they were super nice and told me a decent bit. My take away was consistency is not a feature of Italian surfing. But who cares when you are in Italy, getting surf is just a bonus!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
For the record:

This My trip to Italy was one of the best trips of my life.

Levanto in fall/early winter was a ghost town except for locals and people there for the event (think closed up business for the winter). There had recently been massive flooding and mudslides that the region was trying to rebound from, so the influx of off season folks was received really warmly. Really. Warmly...

Cinqe Terra wine train, Genoa, Milan, Portofino, Florence, Pisa, and Rome were all accessible on a day trip. I ate incredible food everywhere, drank incredible wine, experienced incredible hospitality, and got some head dips. My friend rented a Ferrari, I saw incredible artwork in the museums, and the forecast is so easy to read it made planning simple. There's waves. Now it's flat. Too easy.

I wouldn't go for a "surf trip", but I would go and keep an eye on the swell to justify my dinner, drinks, and coffee snacks that night.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I watched this today, well, scrolled through it. Too much lifestyle, not enough surfing. But then, it was Italy, so, ya know.

I don't ever need to hear Rasta make an utterance again, and del Moro was pretty boring as a narrator. Shut up and surf.
Yeah, I didn't say it was good. I fell asleep during part of it.

But it does show a few decent waves in Italy (and some shitty ones too).

Reactions: MathDebater

Planet_Erff

OTF status
Jan 11, 2007
too close for comfort
Did you go?
yes, no surf when I was there (summer, ~2 weeks) but it's an amazing place (sicily).

The food, sightseeing, history, etc. was ridiculous. Great value too.

I check the swell map now and then and it's relatively consistent (for the med at least). But it's definitely no surf mecca.

If you like free diving and wind sports then you won't be bored.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
yes, no surf when I was there (summer, ~2 weeks) but it's an amazing place (sicily).

I check the swell map now and then and it's relatively consistent (for the med at least). But it's definitely no surf mecca.

Nice. Yeah I wouldn't gop for the surf, but if the opportunity arose....

My company usually goes to Italy in the fall (late Oct) and there hasn't been a southern Italy trip in a while (fewer wineries, more spread out) but I think the next one will be. I might tack on an extra two weeks if that happens.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Nice. Yeah I wouldn't gop for the surf, but if the opportunity arose....

My company usually goes to Italy in the fall (late Oct) and there hasn't been a southern Italy trip in a while (fewer wineries, more spread out) but I think the next one will be. I might tack on an extra two weeks if that happens.
My winemaker friend (who has a high 6 to 7 figure packaging and inputs budget) has been to Europe on the supplier dime 3 dimes. He thinks those trips are done for good :(

Sounds epic! Did you see some nice beaches that weren't too crowded? Looks pretty rocky and volcanic, but I'm sure there's something :beer: