Show us your POWERBOATS

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Holy hell. You could have some fun in that.
View attachment 160004
It would pull a skier at 60mph no strain. With a 100’ rope dragging elbow in the turns when you went straight back across the wake into the next turn you were going close to 80mph setting up the next turn. 10 turns and done. At that speed I fell twice, lots of bouncing on the top until some body part stuck and you came to a very abrupt stop.

Gas mileage? :roflmao: 4 barrel Holly, with the secondaries opened the you could literally watch gas streaming into the carburetor. Oink oink.

Last edited:

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
19' Jones Brothers flat bottom skiff w/ 70hp 2stroke Yamaha for running around the inside shallow waters of NC. When I go fishing I still use my kayak more (I'll save those pictures in case there's ever a 'Show us your kayak' thread). Hulls over 30 years old and engine 20 yo but runs great. Can run on plane in 8"s of water.

BOAT1.jpgBOAT3.jpgboat2.jpgboat4.png

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
Its amazing how many of these supersized center consoles there are now when I go up and down the lagoons near me. Houses that used to have big Bertram, Hatteras, Viking, Egg Harbor, Buddy Davis and other battlewagon sportfishers behind them now have these oversized go-fast center consoles.
Do you think this might have something to do with all the recent whale deaths? I read that all the deaths have evidence of blunt-force trauma. I know the surveying for the wind-mills is the current theory for this, but as you state, there are a lot of these boat with 4 or 5 engines hanging off them that weren't in the water a couple years ago. Maybe the whales just can't get out of the way of them.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Do you think this might have something to do with all the recent whale deaths? I read that all the deaths have evidence of blunt-force trauma. I know the surveying for the wind-mills is the current theory for this, but as you state, there are a lot of these boat with 4 or 5 engines hanging off them that weren't in the water a couple years ago. Maybe the whales just can't get out of the way of them.
No. Whale impacts with recreational boats do happen but they are incredibly rare. In my decades involved in offshore fishing I can think of less than five instances. When it happens the boat is damaged and in some cases goes down. The sheer number of whale deaths in a short period of time is something new this past year and most of them happened last winter when recreational boats aren't a factor..

Reactions: LipService

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Its amazing how many of these supersized center consoles there are now when I go up and down the lagoons near me. Houses that used to have big Bertram, Hatteras, Viking, Egg Harbor, Buddy Davis and other battlewagon sportfishers behind them now have these oversized go-fast center consoles.

on my drive to work, I see a LOT of big center consoles. Lots of them are cats too. Big money….

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
on my drive to work, I see a LOT of big center consoles. Lots of them are cats too. Big money….
I look at those giant center consoles and if I was spending that kind of money I'd still rather have the reliability of twin diesels and more comforts at the sacrifice of speed. For offshore I also prefer a flying bridge or an express with a low tower. This would pretty much be my dream fishing boat. The Viking 46 Billfish. They really nailed it with this design taking the best from a fast modern Viking hull to the dayboat layout of a vintage Merritt. I'd take this over any quad outboard boat.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
I look at those giant center consoles and if I was spending that kind of money I'd still rather have the reliability of twin diesels and more comforts at the sacrifice of speed. For offshore I also prefer a flying bridge or an express with a low tower. This would pretty much be my dream fishing boat. The Viking 46 Billfish. They really nailed it with this design taking the best from a fast modern Viking hull to the dayboat layout of a vintage Merritt. I'd take this over any quad outboard boat.

those are some sexy boats for sure

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
One of my friends who is big time into fly fishing has that same Jones Brothers skiff.
I've heard other fly fishermen love the JB skiffs for it's a wide open platform for them. For a flatbottom it tracks really well and doesn't slide very much on turns. In most the pics above I have the bimini top on but that's only on during the summer. It does reduce the fishability but damn that shade is nice on the hot days.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
that looks like it should have a matching van towing it
:roflmao:It did when my brother in law had it.:foreheadslap:

Ford F150. I never hauled it any distance, 20 minutes from the driveway to pushing it off the trailer at the ramp.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I've heard other fly fishermen love the JB skiffs for it's a wide open platform for them. For a flatbottom it tracks really well and doesn't slide very much on turns. In most the pics above I have the bimini top on but that's only on during the summer. It does reduce the fishability but damn that shade is nice on the hot days.
Solid backwater platform.:jamon:

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
I still prefer the big sportfisher for the $1 mill price tag but the big CC boats have grown in market share for a lot of reasons.

The big blue fin bite that we've had in SD for the last 6-7 years is generally 60+ miles away. A big go fast CC get's you there quickly so you can fish and return the same day. A cat version like a Freeman is going to run super comfortably and get you there fast. If you take a sportfisher you're going out there for day and a half trip at a minimum and spending a night (which isn't a bad plan... just depends what you like better)

Reactions: keenfish