Show us your POWERBOATS

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've always thought those Pangas are pretty cool. There were a couple of companies trying to sell them here in the states but I think they've all gone under now. They were trying to make them too fancy instead of as a very bare bones skiff.

Reactions: hammies

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I've always thought those Pangas are pretty cool. There were a couple of companies trying to sell them here in the states but I think they've all gone under now. They were trying to make them too fancy instead of as a very bare bones skiff.
They are tough. Heavy and unwieldy too. The motor got swamped. I don’t know the kid but I do know his dad, who probably has his huarache stuck up the kid’s culo right now. They are a different operating experience than anything I’ve ever been in.

Reactions: Chocki

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Anybody have experience with a Solo Skiff? I've been kicking around upgrading from my strict paddle kayaks to one with a pedal system, but the price, setup time, weight, and issues with beach launching keep deterring me with only moderate upgrade in performance once on the water.

I happen to have a small outboard at my disposal and the idea of the Solo Skiff is starting to warm on me considering how many miles I typically do under manual propulsion and when I do fish I tend to go for hours (would still use the manual kayaks for short missions).

solo-skiff-main.jpg

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Anybody have experience with a Solo Skiff? I've been kicking around upgrading from my strict paddle kayaks to one with a pedal system, but the price, setup time, weight, and issues with beach launching keep deterring me with only moderate upgrade in performance once on the water.

I happen to have a small outboard at my disposal and the idea of the Solo Skiff is starting to warm on me considering how many miles I typically do under manual propulsion and when I do fish I tend to go for hours (would still use the manual kayaks for short missions).

View attachment 169646
I had been considering one a few years ago because there is a Kayak launch a short walk from my house. Even called the local dealer ready to buy. When I did the dealer told me he was out of them and wasn't bringing them back because they had been a disaster. Apparently, they didn't have the rotomolding process quite right and there were a lot of failures. I've followed the guy who designed them on FB and know that he's spent a couple of years now on a redesign, new molds and a new company to make the boats. I think they've just started production again.

I've been giving some serious thought to selling my Mako and getting one of these little rigs. The first is a Towee and the second a Gheeno LT25 and the bottom one a SouthDade Skiff.

1704111271501.png

1704111387533.png

1704113079429.png

Last edited:

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I had been considering one a few years ago because there is a Kayak launch a short walk from my house. Even called the local dealer ready to buy. When I did the dealer told me he was out of them and wasn't bringing them back because they had been a disaster. Apparently, they didn't have the rotomolding process quite right and there were a lot of failures. I've followed the guy who designed them on FB and know that he's spent a couple of years now on a redesign, new molds and a new company to make the boats. I think they've just started production again.

I've been giving some serious thought to selling my Mako and getting one of these little rigs. The first is a Towee and the second a Gheeno LT25 and the bottom one a SouthDade Skiff.
Good info, thanks. I was drawn to the Solo Skiff hoping to avoid the trailer and instead do the pickup-with-bed-extender. I see Great Bay Outfitters down in Little Egg Harbor (where I work) as a dealer; was that your contact? Maybe I'll swing by there and strike up a conversation with the owner.

I've seen the Gheenoe's before (There are a few for sale on Marketplace, FYI), definitely like the concept. Might go for something like that in the future.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
@hackeysaky It was a different dealer in Tuckerton at the time. It was just last spring that they made the first prototypes with the new molds and new manufacturer. I know he's put a lot of time, money and effort into getting it right the second time around. The new ones should be fine. I'd just steer clear of the older ones.

Reactions: hackeysaky

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

View attachment 169646
check out this local San Diego guy. He has gone places you’d never think were possible on a solo skiff:

Reactions: hackeysaky

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
We had her built in Rhode Island in 1988 and she has been our faithful rig for the past 35+ years. She is being prepped now for an over road cross country trip to California. Once in California we will modernize and redo all vital systems and shake her down before continuing the journey to the South Pacific.
View attachment 169665
Awesome. What is it? Not much Mako fishing going on these days.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Whoops - some better details. She is Blackwatch 30 express powered by twin Cummins.

My family has been active with the NMFS Councils and the no kill on Atlantic makos will hopefully prove to be a good step for the fishery. Better to let the big girls swim free.
My buddy's dad had one of those. Not sure what ever happened to it - it was purchased as a dealer's and it spent years if not decades on stilts. Sweet rig.

Anybody have experience with a Solo Skiff?
No but you said beach launch and I'd be leery of that. In Florida those get used as backcountry shallow water exploration devices. You can drag them over berms and through mud to access tarpon holes and whatnot, and they're fine on our generally narrow/sheltered lagoons where only a couple degrees of wind direction have any real fetch.

I rolled a kayak last time I went lobstering and that was about an hour and a half into a summer seabreeze. Not a light breath but for sure not truly windy.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
No but you said beach launch and I'd be leery of that. In Florida those get used as backcountry shallow water exploration devices. You can drag them over berms and through mud to access tarpon holes and whatnot, and they're fine on our generally narrow/sheltered lagoons where only a couple degrees of wind direction have any real fetch.

I rolled a kayak last time I went lobstering and that was about an hour and a half into a summer seabreeze. Not a light breath but for sure not truly windy.
I have two kayaks that I fish from. Was pretty into it about 10 years ago. Have to be really careful about conditions. Groundswell and boat wakes I actually find more unsettling than random choppy conditions. Coming off the back side of a groundswell while fishing in particular can really throw you off balance. Guessing the SoloSkiff would be similar and perhaps even worse due to higher center of gravity.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I'd only consider doing that out front on flat to super small (1-1.5' short period wind-bump)- the conditions I'd usually be out on the yak in anyway (but once out there a lot of time is spent chasing down quick-moving pelagics). I'm pretty sure equipped with an outboard it would out-run our weak east-coast conditions coming in. That is until some Nosey Nancy reports me for daring to launch from the beach/having too much fun.

Most of it would be back-bay use.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit