sizzld1 said:
BillyOcean said:
Yes

Pay them A LOT MORE

And fire the ones who suck

And fire the administrators

If you pay them $300k, with 100% bonuses for performance

You’ll get dudes who are badasses with kids and guns
And we'll pay for this brilliant idea how?
The Republican way- deficit spending.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
My daughter in law is an elementary school teacher. It's a tough gig, mostly because she can't kick the assholes out who are ruining it for everyone else, by which she means certain parents.

We should possibly consider setting up their retirement systems so they become vested at 10 years, coming collectible when they turn 60 or whatever. Then they could go do something else with the rest of their lives without losing everything they put of themselves into the job when they were in their 20s. 15% or 20% of what they would have gotten had they stuck it out for 40 years is better than nothing.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
patrolman said:
VonMeister said:
Teachers are overpaid by double.
Do you say that because they personally failed you? You may have a point.
K-12 public school teachers are mostly stupid and emotionally immature. The 1 out of every 1000 that isn't deserves his/her lot in life for jumping in bed with the collection of losers. They certainly don't deserve the 6+ figure annual compensation package they receive.

I'm guessing greater than half of the K-12 teachers in the US took the job because they were lost in their shitty 6 year bachelor degree from cal state wherever, or their state equivalent and said "Fuckit', at least I'll have summers off".

Don't make me start posting videos of school board meetings where teachers address the board. It's poor grammar and hysterics, reading from papers while they use their finger across the page to keep track of where they are. They actually sniffle and cry when they speak because they are emotionally unstable or ill prepared to speak in front of a group. If they weren't saved by tenure or the dummies that hire them, they would be homeless.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Teaching is a really hard job

You get zero respect

If you do it right, the hrs are very long

The pay sucks for the level of effort involved and the stress

So it’s not surprising that many teachers don’t go all out

If you want better performance you need to incentivize performance, or make the job easier (e.g., reduce class sizes)

Nov 15, 2016
VonMeister said:
patrolman said:
VonMeister said:
Teachers are overpaid by double.
Do you say that because they personally failed you? You may have a point.
K-12 public school teachers are mostly stupid and emotionally immature. The 1 out of every 1000 that isn't deserves his/her lot in life for jumping in bed with the collection of losers. They certainly don't deserve the 6+ figure annual compensation package they receive.

I'm guessing greater than half of the K-12 teachers in the US took the job because they were lost in their shitty 6 year bachelor degree from cal state wherever, or their state equivalent and said "Fuckit', at least I'll have summers off".

Don't make me start posting videos of school board meetings where teachers address the board. It's poor grammar and hysterics, reading from papers while they use their finger across the page to keep track of where they are. They actually sniffle and cry when they speak because they are emotionally unstable or ill prepared to speak in front of a group. If they weren't saved by tenure or the dummies that hire them, they would be homeless.

Hooooly shiza, i thought you were bullshitting on the teacher pay until ifalls's link. Cali really is another nation, in nc i know some fellow grads that are teaching k-12 and making less than 30g a year with shitty benefits. No k-12 teacher i know of any age over here makes above 40g a year. Hell my head of department at the university i went to was just barely touching 100 g a year. I do agree on the emotional competence of many but not all k-12 teachers. I remember back in the day one student complaining about not having enough test time but did in ms. Wilson's class, my teacher promptly responded "well I'm not setting you up for failure in life like ms. Wilson so hurry up."

Anywho, i wouldve been shot no doubt had teachers been armed in k12. Theirs some smart kids and nothing pisses off an insecure k12 teacher like a 14 year old that actually is smarter and loves to troll (just like here!)...

Nov 15, 2016
Although i don't know how much i belive the link about teacher pay considering i got an ash vs evil dead, walmart sweepstakes, and amazon gift card winner pop ups in the single minute i spent on the website. Never take anything from a .com (aka .commercial) as truth, they're trying to sell you something with non-guaranteed truthful info. One of the best take homes from my education.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
At least in California, teacher salary schedules are public knowledge.

For example, google "Encinitas Teacher Salary Schedule" and take the first hit.

A brand new teacher just starting out makes $44K (or about $3200/mo take home for 10 months), not great for someone with a bachelors plus a year. How well can you live in Encinitas on $3200/mo? Especially considering that you are working your ass off for those 10 months (if you're any good, that is).

A teachers with a masters and 25 years' experience makes $108K. Still not great, and they will never get a raise after that.

Teaching has one of the highest burnout rates and lowest 5 year retention rates of any profession requiring a college degree.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I pulled this off a Forbes website.
"For a true full-career employee, CalSTRS benefits are plenty generous. According to CalSTRS data, employees who worked a full career – from age 23 to age 65 – received an average annual benefit of $110,364, equal to 105% of the employee’s final salary."

So while the pay is lacking in your early years, it is deferred nicely. Work 40 and retire for 20 years. It works out in the end. IMHO

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
Seems like most of the teachers I know shape on the side.

Another thing they all have in common is a healthy dose of contempt for this most recent batch of kids and their helicopter parents.

They're probably burned out. And semi-poor. It's those last 20 years that drive them to drink.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
40 years teaching will kill you.

I'm at 23 years and I'm faltering.

Though I still show occasional flashes of brilliance.

The key would be to lighten your teaching load later in the career.

Experience really helps you be a good teacher.

I have to grade 100 essays this weekend.

Do you know how much that sucks?

My poor eyeballs will hurt by sunday night.

I still like it too.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
everysurfr said:
"For a true full-career employee, CalSTRS benefits are plenty generous. According to CalSTRS data, employees who worked a full career – from age 23 to age 65 – received an average annual benefit of $110,364, equal to 105% of the employee’s final salary."

So while the pay is lacking in your early years, it is deferred nicely. Work 40 and retire for 20 years. It works out in the end. IMHO
The problem here is you work 20 years in a public school system and you are dead inside.You set up how you do things and have all your materials at hand and you go through the motions of another year, year after year. If you don't you burnout early and if you do you become a zombie. Not many senior teachers don't become cynical and bitter.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
heelnipstr said:
everysurfr said:

The problem here is you work 20 years in a public school system and you are dead inside.You set up how you do things and have all your materials at hand and you go through the motions of another year, year after year. If you don't you burnout early and if you do you become a zombie. Not many senior teachers don't become cynical and bitter.
But if we give them a bonus for carrying at school it'll all be fine!

Nov 15, 2016
Im bout to have a heart attack! 100g aint good money??? Ive never been to california but that cost of living must be out the ass! Id be living in bliss out of a van if it meant making 100 g a year as a k12 teacher even if the cost of living was twice as high. There's a big disconnect here in the 2 coasts if 100g is considered not great

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Saucy said:
Im bout to have a heart attack! 100g aint good money??? Ive never been to california but that cost of living must be out the ass! Id be living in bliss out of a van if it meant making 100 g a year as a k12 teacher even if the cost of living was twice as high. There's a big disconnect here in the 2 coasts if 100g is considered not great
100 g aint sh!t in San Diego of you have a kid
been teaching for 23 - all teachers should be forced to retire after 30 yrs - we begin to slowly morph into sarcastic grumps after 25 -

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
We have a couple kids in our extended family who are junior teachers. I sincerely doubt either one of them is going to last in that gig for 10 years. IMO, anyone who can do 20 years of hard time without getting completely burnt is a hero.