Selling a classic car in Hawaii (Big Island)

Chile Verde

OTF status
Sep 29, 2011
where the wind begins
Dad passed away this summer so my brother and I are trying to help mom sell his 56 Pontiac Chieftain 2 door wagon. If it were on the mainland it would be no problem but it is in Hilo so options are limited (it’s the orange/white one that used to cruise town for anyone living there). Its not quite show quality but its nicer than a daily driver and lives under a cover in a garage. Mom has reached out to his old car club but I wanted to try and tap into the wisdom of the erBB.

Anyone here have any ideas? where to list it? or who to contact?

Reactions: r32 and john4surf

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
I seen that one several times. Sweet ride. You could park it down on Bayfront with a sign like so many others do - more towards the Suisan side. Can put it on Craigslist too. Going the route of the car club members is probably the best bet. Most have contacts on other Islands.

Reactions: Chile Verde

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I have a buddy in San Clemente who lives/eats breathes old cars. He might have some thoughts if you wanna PM me some pix. Maybe it gets shipped there and gets sold at Cars & Coffee off Pico. There are some mad collectors there.

Reactions: Chile Verde

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
My dad is a hot-rodder with a slew of cars in various condition in various places on Maui. He's an engine guy so his cars aren't all the most amazing to look at (a couple are gorgeous though) but under the hood they are incredible. As he has aged he's been trying to sell a few of them to streamline his hobby but has had a hard time doing so on Maui. I think he is asking too much for them but he maintains that he 'knows their worth' and that they would sell 'easily on the mainland'. While he's not wrong, it seems the market for these things in Hawaii is mostly older car guys like him who are increasingly few and far between. There's some younger dudes but they typically lack the resources to buy these cars for what they are probably worth. So my thought is, unless you are able to move it to the mainland, if you really want to get it sold to someone who will be stoked on it, work on it and take care of it, lower your expectations on what it's worth, maybe a lot. As I tell my dad, yeah you spent all kinds of time, money and skill putting that thing together, but that was spent on your own personal satisfaction and happiness at the time and it may not equate to what you think it should now. Sell it to someone who is hyped on it and don't look back.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
You’re right Chile, the options are limited due to location of the car. Decades ago, we had our daughter’s 1967 Sport Fury convertible shipped from Oahu to Long Beach on a Maresk (spell) ship for $200-300. Sold it right away once in California. One thing to consider if you advertise nationally is to include the cost of shipping to Long Beach. One of the ‘more reasonable’ auction advertiser’s (global audience) is Bring A Trailer (BaT) @bringatrailer.com. You can get details from them but, you (the owner) have the option of placing a “reserve” on the auction, i.e., if bidding doesn’t reach your “secret” reserve price (the least you’ll accept for the car), you’re only out the cost of the advertisement. Vehicles and potential bidder‘s a usually vetted by BaT, the distance may be problematic for photos by a BaT professional photographer. I bid once on a final production year 2015 XKR-S with +2,000 miles and “won” the car! Flew up to Seattle and drove it back to San Diego with a smile on my face the entire time! Good luck with sale bust remember, buyers have no emotional connection to your Dad’s car. The family connection to the car isn’t going to make the sale “easier” if that family connection is included in the sales price. John (photo of the XKR-S) which was exactly as advertised on BaT when I won the auction) IMG_0807.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited: