Seems like the USA is being exposed

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Who is responsible for these things? A giant centralized government? Your state government? Your county government? Your home town's government? Not government at all but rather private enterprise?

You're apparently a communist. Change my mind.
Everybody except Trump is responsible, right?

Reactions: Aruka

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
The weak link everywhere is the healthcare system

Should we hold a giant, US military-sized standing army of healthcare workers, equipment, and facilities at all times just so a virus can't bring the economy to its knees?

How do we pay for this? How do we keep it from being the monstrosity that the military is? This can't happen again. We can't risk all of us for a relative few
:)

maybe someone smart and honest can find some room for improvement ?? )

1585406414813.png

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
The weak link everywhere is the healthcare system

Should we hold a giant, US military-sized standing army of healthcare workers, equipment, and facilities at all times just so a virus can't bring the economy to its knees?

How do we pay for this? How do we keep it from being the monstrosity that the military is? This can't happen again. We can't risk all of us for a relative few
we already spend more on healthcare than other countries

healthcare should be looked at as infrastructure

we have extremely expensive defense infrastructure to guard against the unlikely even of nuclear war— why don’t we maintain the equivalent for pandemics which seem much more likely?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Because we're trying to be honest about positive cases?

Link?
Yes, super honest. That’s why they gagged the CDC.

"When you have 15 people, and within a couple of days, it’s going to be down to close to zero … We really think we’ve done a great job in keeping it down to a minimum."

-Dementia J Trumby,

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
we already spend more on healthcare than other countries

healthcare should be looked at as infrastructure

we have extremely expensive defense infrastructure to guard against the unlikely even of nuclear war— why don’t we maintain the equivalent for pandemics which seem much more likely?
It’s not just here though, healthcare everywhere isn’t up to the task

And nuclear war equipment is cheap compared to the conventional military gear

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
It’s not just here though, healthcare everywhere isn’t up to the task

And nuclear war equipment is cheap compared to the conventional military gear
ok but you see my point

we’re ok with spending shitloads of $ to guard against the cataclysmic event of war but not on diseases

that is pretty dumb

Reactions: Ifallalot

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Trump is an underlying medical condition. Our society is not well. Covid19 is exploiting that underlying condition. The USA is fat and out of shape.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Isn’t ifall always saying we should be suspicious of our leaders and not believe what they say?

Isn’t he always talking about how all politicians are corrupt and are not to be trusted? Why does he constantly go to bat for Trumby?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
ok but you see my point

we’re ok with spending shitloads of $ to guard against the cataclysmic event of war but not on diseases

that is pretty dumb
I’ve always liked the theory of universal healthcare. I just don’t see it as something that will ever save us money or be efficient

And I’ve always been anti-military spending as well. We can protect US hegemony for cheaper and then spend more on ourselves

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Isn’t ifall always saying we should be suspicious of our leaders and not believe what they say?

Isn’t he always talking about how all politicians are corrupt and are not to be trusted? Why does he constantly go to bat for Trumby?
Basically to call you (ilk) out for thinking Trump is any different than the rest of them

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
No social distancing at Press Briefing - bad example. Might as well be smoking cigarettes up there. Bad example. Fast food fat and out of shape. Bad example.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

Basically to call you (ilk) out for thinking Trump is any different than the rest of them
Back to the "all politicians are corrupt so I will support and defend the most corrupt" logic.

Reactions: hal9000

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I’ve always liked the theory of universal healthcare. I just don’t see it as something that will ever save us money or be efficient

And I’ve always been anti-military spending as well. We can protect US hegemony for cheaper and then spend more on ourselves
I generally agree but I think this episode is exposing the ineptness of our healthcare system

for things like infectious diseases, you want to eliminate the risk that people won’t seek testing/care because of concerns that they won’t personally be able to pay the cost

you also want to have the resources to deal with mass events, which we clearly do not have

imagine if we didn’t spend trillions being world police

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I generally agree but I think this episode is exposing the ineptness of our healthcare system

for things like infectious diseases, you want to eliminate the risk that people won’t seek testing/care because of concerns that they won’t personally be able to pay the cost

you also want to have the resources to deal with mass events, which we clearly do not have

imagine if we didn’t spend trillions being world police
The lauded European systems are having the same problems we are despite the lack of costs to customers

Only South Korea was on top of things, and that could have just been luck of the draw with access to testing.

I agree though, imagine what we could do if we weren't Team America