Seems like a ba-a-a-a-d idea

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com

Dumb pun aside, I'm genuinely interested. Wish the page had a little more info about how tf a full wool surfboard actually works.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Paul Barron is a good Kiwi tinkerer. Flexbar is his patent, I think, or he sold it to CIS. Been doing CIS boards (buys access to files) with PU blanks, epoxy, and wool cloth.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
IMG_1855.jpeg
I bought this used from a mate who had bought it cheap in the first place. The tail pad has since been dispatched to the bin.
It has helium top and bottom sheets. Normally there is another layer of helium on the deck for the Helium boards.
Apparently it has 2 layers of wool on deck and 1 on the bottom.
Light weight like Helium but feels more damped like a PU to ride. Not in the least chattery.
if I tap on the nose while out in the water it has a completely different resonance to Helium boards.
One thing…no yellowing or weird staining will occur.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
View attachment 172563
I bought this used from a mate who had bought it cheap in the first place. The tail pad has since been dispatched to the bin.
It has helium top and bottom sheets. Normally there is another layer of helium on the deck for the Helium boards.
Apparently it has 2 layers of wool on deck and 1 on the bottom.
Light weight like Helium but feels more damped like a PU to ride. Not in the least chattery.
if I tap on the nose while out in the water it has a completely different resonance to Helium boards.
One thing…no yellowing or weird staining will occur.
were those done by the same guy in NZ or did FW ship the wool to Thai to be glassed by their local crew?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It says it supports the NZ wool industry so I do think this is 4000 mile fleece or whatever. Livestock farts are once again sustainable! Mind you building surfboards is still on the whole a good thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Clayster

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
fucking kiwi's...guess they have a lot of extra wool. I wonder what national product other countries might make surfboards out of? baguettes in france? bad dental work in england? bullets in the us of a? favela shanty parts in Brazil?

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
fucking kiwi's...guess they have a lot of extra wool. I wonder what national product other countries might make surfboards out of? baguettes in france? bad dental work in england? bullets in the us of a? favela shanty parts in Brazil?
There is a dude that uses kevlar, which is not that far off haha