Scientific American makes first endorsement in 175yrs

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If you're math retarded like me, trying to figure out the difference between 2 5/8", 2 3/4" and 2 11/16" is impossible.

Shouldn't bigger number mean MOAR? :violin::drowning:
The bigger number does mean MOAR, you just can't stop at the numerator.

If you're math retarded in California in 2020, be glad you aren't starving to death in a dry channelized riverbed.

When did formally recording the volume of a board even become a thing?

Yes yes I know I have been in a design coma for last several years but what happened to just grabbing the rail and determining from there?

As far as GAF, come on, I know you are aware that there are 28 grams in an ounce.
I think like 7-8 years ago. I could never tell from rail grabbing, especially not with all the alt stuff these days.

28 is .987; you shorting me? 1.00 that sh!t, holdout.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I think like 7-8 years ago. I could never tell from rail grabbing, especially not with all the alt stuff these days.

28 is .987; you shorting me? 1.00 that sh!t, holdout.
7-8 years ago sadly makes sense as that was more recent than my last custom board. I don't really get the alt stuff these days and I note that those all proliferated at the same time as the number of genders. Not a coincidence. That observation will probably not win me points on the design forum.

Consider the 0.013 to be a tax. Hell, beats the 3.2 1/8 pinch.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Give me your personal pronoun, your weight and your favorite color and I will provide surfboard dimensions, psychic advice and a list of investment opportunities.

You would be amazed at all the shop orders that come in with "I've been surfing 23 years. I surf from Alaska to El Salvador. I weigh 175 pounds and my shoe size 9M. I want an XYZ model in 5'11". Shaper can decide width and thickness..." :eek:

WTF?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That's what's so sick about meters, you don't need decimal points.

That's what centimeters and millimeters are for.
Saying you don't need the decimal point because that's what prefixes are for.....the decimal point removes the need to perform the fractional math already...

That drives a lowered pickup truck with a Trump sticker, and it eats sketti with ketchup on "pasta night". Maybe it drives a Lada with a hood ornament from a benz while blaring turbofolk. I dunno.

Metric is the only way to do anything scientific.

But don't do the cultural challenge if you want to win. Just be positive, with a can-do attitude.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Give me your personal pronoun, your weight and your favorite color and I will provide surfboard dimensions, psychic advice and a list of investment opportunities.
I think this has everything to do with kidfury's surfboard and why it is currently being tag teamed by a pair of homeless derelicts in the creek under the freeway.

You would be amazed at all the shop orders that come in with "I've been surfing 23 years. I surf from Alaska to El Salvador. I weigh 175 pounds and my shoe size 9M. I want an XYZ model in 5'11". Shaper can decide width and thickness..." :eek:

WTF?
Are you serious?! :roflmao: :crazy2:

I must be easy. I bring in the last board they shaped for me and say, this was magic or close enough to it before I snapped it, make it kinda like this please.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I ran into variations of that with three orders yesterday. I'm going through the ones that I can cut now and separating them out from the ones that require a shaper phone consultation. "You need to call this guy, this guy and that guy. May the force be with you, get back to me with the numbers when you're able."

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I ran into variations of that with three orders yesterday. I'm going through the ones that I can cut now and separating them out from the ones that require a shaper phone consultation. "You need to call this guy, this guy and that guy. May the force be with you, get back to me with the numbers when you're able."
You need Latoya Jackson and Miss Cleo on speed dial.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
You need Latoya Jackson and Miss Cleo on speed dial.
Seriously. You have no idea how many times I have been tempted to fill in the missing numbers myself and just push it through.

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Seriously. You have no idea how many times I have been tempted to fill in the missing numbers myself and just push it through.
And I'd be willing that the person ordering the board wouldn't notice the difference unless you completely switched around width and thickness.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I might add that Hawaiian size is bad enough as it is - could you imagine if they measured waves in meters? Maxing Waimea would be 2-4. Jaws maybe 3-5.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
And I'd be willing that the person ordering the board wouldn't notice the difference unless you completely switched around width and thickness.
lol. The other one I have to field is, "I'm 6'5" tall and 260 pounds. I want a 6'6" X 22 1/2 X 2 1/8."

Did you mean 3 1/8" dyslexia boy?

That's a phone call. Unless it's a Japanese order. I cut whatever it says on their stuff. I question nothing. In Japan I am Sergeant Schultz. "I know nothing!"

Reactions: Kento