Sci Fi 2 Wins

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
maybe the Sci fi did well at the pool for Noel because most of the R&D on that board was done there? Built in the pool?
Sci-phi has been around for quite a while. I got this one (middle board) in 2014. It probably existed for a bit before that. The pointy nose Sci-phi was an adaptation of this chopped nose board and the nose was added for Stu Kennedy's contest surfing.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Fun quiver. I still have all 3 of those shapes. The Psyko (right) is pretty underrated in punchy surf. From everything I've seen, SciFi2.0 is closer to Cymatic with a pointy nose put back on. Cymatic was much more HP than the FW SciFi with more tail rocker & other design tweaks. It was such a fun board, people who needed a pointy nose should like 2.0 and I bet it'll sell well

Last edited:
Reactions: SharkBoy

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Fun quiver. I still have all 3 of those shapes. The Psyko (right) is pretty underrated in punchy surf. From everything I've seen, SciFi2.0 is closer to Cymatic with a pointy nose put back on. Cymatic was much more HP than the FW SciFi with more tail rocker & other design tweaks. It was such a fun board, people who needed a pointy nose should like 2.0 and I bet it'll sell well
Thanks!

Yeah, I think you're right. I never really clicked with the OG Sci-phi in that pic above or the FW Sci-Phi because they are both lower tail rocker boards. With the increased tail rocker in the 2.0 (making it more like the cymatic, as you said) I think I would like it better than the originals.

I LOVED my psyko. Such a great board. I still have mine too, but it's a bit too small for me now.

Feb 9, 2019
I liked the mix i got with the OG sci fi and my 7.0 xtr psyko. The FST is a finbox purgatory but otherwise the boards held up ok. The psyko was a sometimes board, but when I chanced upon the right fins after a year or so Im using it way more. Because im a bit bigger people tend to make my boards boaty, the psyko has got a really thick arse on it and it was hard to get the rail in. But lots of good beachies and sandbar walls surfed on both. Sci fi for the smaller days. I generally prefer straighter tail rocker but the waves can get really round out front.

Attachments

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I liked the mix i got with the OG sci fi and my 7.0 xtr psyko. The FST is a finbox purgatory but otherwise the boards held up ok. The psyko was a sometimes board, but when I chanced upon the right fins after a year or so Im using it way more. Because im a bit bigger people tend to make my boards boaty, the psyko has got a really thick arse on it and it was hard to get the rail in. But lots of good beachies and sandbar walls surfed on both. Sci fi for the smaller days. I generally prefer straighter tail rocker but the waves can get really round out front.
Nice pic Aardwolf!

Reactions: Aardwolf

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
What was weird was how much the volume numbers were off between the FW sci-fi and cymatic. The SCIFI felt 2 liters bigger at the same reported volume and the cymatic smaller

Last edited:

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Thanks!

Yeah, I think you're right. I never really clicked with the OG Sci-phi in that pic above or the FW Sci-Phi because they are both lower tail rocker boards. With the increased tail rocker in the 2.0 (making it more like the cymatic, as you said) I think I would like it better than the originals.

I LOVED my psyko. Such a great board. I still have mine too, but it's a bit too small for me now.
How small is the psyko? :unsure: Haha.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Timmy looks good on the 2.0. I think he looks better on the Hydroshort tho.
Kelly looks like he has so much speed and the board looks smooth! The video says he's trying some new quad fins with a ton of rake. Very interested in seeing what kind of fins he's playing with.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
idk... its possible those might be them?? If you slow down the video there is a spot where he kicks out and you can see the fins. They do look clear (like those) and they look like FCS with a nubster. They looked really good on his board and in his surfing.