Save Oceanside Sand Meeting

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
The Carlsbad thing is real- rumors abound that they are going to try to stop this from happening for that exact reason. For Carlsbad it's good business that Oceanside has no beach and theirs are huge. Big time tourist dollars at stake.

Carlsbad and Oceanside already hate one another. That blood feud has been going on forever.
Where are these huge sandy beaches in Carlsbad?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
On that note, opening Buena Vista Lagoon up permanently (with jetties) would be incredible for sand flow through the region.
Yes!
Unfortunately, I believe the HOA controls the weir that separates the fresh/brackish water "lagoon" from the ocean. They do not want to remove it and open it up out of fear that the odors generated by tidal action would lower their quality of life.:bricks:

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
They dredge the harbor every year and put plenty of sand on the strand. I don't see what the problem is.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Have you never been to Tamarack? Warm Water? Army Navy? Offshore? Huge sandy beaches.
Have you been to those beaches at high tide? At best you’ve got State Beach north, which is nothing compared to the harbor or pier.

Aside from the north side of Ponto, which is protected by a wall of rocks 30’ wide and probably 10’ high at water’s edge, and immed south of the south Ponto jetty, there’s hardly a lick of sand south of Tammy other than at low tide.

Reactions: ReForest

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Have you been to those beaches at high tide? At best you’ve got State Beach north, which is nothing compared to the harbor or pier.

Aside from the north side of Ponto, which is protected by a wall of rocks 30’ wide and probably 10’ high at water’s edge, and immed south of the south Ponto jetty, there’s hardly a lick of sand south of Tammy other than at low tide.
I walk my dogs on the beach by Army Navy most mornings on my surf check. I used to walk them at Cassidy Street but that beach is completely gone all the way up until roughly Wisconsin; only accessible at low tide and even then very wet.

I drive by Warmies on my way to and from work every day. Tamarack Beach Volleyball Club plays there most days. Multiple courts, tent canopies, the whole deal. They wouldn't be there if there wasn't sand. They aren't planning practice around the tide.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Carlsbad is going to be pissed Oceanside is hoarding all the sand.

Carlsbad vs Oceanside Blood Feud?
You joke, but from what I understand jetties create more erosion for adjacent shore lines. They effectively create a bigger problem for the areas they border.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Careful what you wish for. Most army corps designs exist to kill wave energy. Happened in my town.

Reactions: menobrah

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I walk my dogs on the beach by Army Navy most mornings on my surf check. I used to walk them at Cassidy Street but that beach is completely gone all the way up until roughly Wisconsin; only accessible at low tide and even then very wet.

I drive by Warmies on my way to and from work every day. Tamarack Beach Volleyball Club plays there most days. Multiple courts, tent canopies, the whole deal. They wouldn't be there if there wasn't sand. They aren't planning practice around the tide.

How many miles of coast in Carlsbad? I noticed you stopped at Tammy. How often do you sit on the beach at high tide Campgrounds? and like I said, Tammy is nothing compared to the Harbor. That’s a real beach.

im not suggesting Buc’s or been Tyson are what they once were, just laughing at the suggestion Carlsbad is swimming in sand.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
You joke, but from what I understand jetties create more erosion for adjacent shore lines. They effectively create a bigger problem for the areas they border.
I wasn't joking. I was serious.

I just said it in a joking manner.

Yes, sand builds on the longshore side and erodes more quickly on the leeward side of the jetty or jetties.

That's why Carlsbad is going to be pissed!