Sanding off a gloss coat?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
????

WHAT IS DYNEEMA®?
Dyneema

Dyneema® is an UHMwPE (Ultra High Molecular weight Polyethylene) or HMPE (High Modulus Polyethylene) fibre developed by DSM in the Netherlands some 30 years ago. Known as the world’s strongest, lightest fiber – 15 times stronger than steel, yet floats on water – Dyneema® works to stop bullets, repair human joints and improve the longevity of apparel. For Marlow, Dyneema® is an ingredient material in many of our highest performance ropes and is used across our range from kite lines to heavy lift slings. So what makes Dyneema® so special?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Always heard water sticks to gloss, makes the board slower. Sanded gloss the best of both worlds: speed and aesthetics.
What aesthetically would be the difference between getting a sand coat to 400 or adding a gloss and then sanding it to 400? Seems to me the gloss would just be extraneous weight.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yeah, I don't think there would be a noticeable difference.

I tried perusing the sailing forums. Most go to 800 or 1000. One thing I came across and is part of my experience is they all sanded directioanally, fore to aft. This seems more important than the final grit of finish. Surfboard manufacturers all use rotary sanding (disc sanders). I always ssand directionally. Force of habit because it was drilled into me when I worked at the boatbuilder.

1200-1550 for best results

America's Cup boat hulls looking pretty glossy-

ps on my wood boards a gloss finish would make the grain pop....but the feel in the hand of a satin (400 grit) finish feels more sensous, more like sanded wood. I always opt for a (directioanally ) wet sanded finish.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah, I don't think there would be a noticeable difference.

I tried perusing the sailing forums. Most go to 800 or 1000. One thing I came across and is part of my experience is they all sanded directioanally, fore to aft. This seems more important than the final grit of finish. Surfboard manufacturers all use rotary sanding (disc sanders). I always ssand directionally. Force of habit because it was drilled into me when I worked at the boatbuilder.

1200-1550 for best results

America's Cup boat hulls looking pretty glossy-

ps on my wood boards a gloss finish would make the grain pop....but the feel in the hand of a satin (400 grit) finish feels more sensous, more like sanded wood. I always opt for a (directioanally ) wet sanded finish.
Sanded by hand?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Sanded by hand?
I sand my boards 80% by hand, hard blocks and the foam on hard block, and finally wet sand by hand.

At the boat builder we’d sand with random orbital pneumatic sanders, but the final step was wet sanding by hand. We’d tie rags around our wrists to prevent the water from dripping down our arms onto our bodies. It was nasty work. It would take a crew of 4-5 guys a week to sand the bottom of a 48 footer. Dencho Marine was known for their fair and gleaming paint jobs.