Sand Replenishment in San Diego

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Arrived at Pillbox today to find a large boat offshore with a pipe running to the shoreline, taking a 90* turn, and blasting sandy water onto the beach with multiple dozers working the area. o_O

You can see the pipe coming ashore in the middle of the first image and the sand + water being blasted out near the middle of the second image. Cant recall the last time I saw a boat offshore harvesting sand, but the bulldozers and backhoes have been a pretty common sight through the years.

Dredge1.jpg
Dredge2.jpg

Reactions: Senor Sopa

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Saw that boat over the weekend. My first thought was that it was awfully close to shore.

explains why they’re so close.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
It's been going on for a couple of weeks now. My son took his kayak out to get a closer look the other day when it was dredging sand from Cardiff. He then followed it down to Pillbox to watch it discharge. He said it was impressive how fast they were able to hook up to the discharge piping and start pumping sand to the beach.

Reactions: Ifallalot

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Regular occurrence here in NC as well. The projects themselves can produce a really fun sandbar during the time of the renurishment (often called poo-poo point). After the project is hit or miss if the sandbars produce anything good but that's always the case with our ever shifting sandbars.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Good to know where they are sourcing the sand from. When it comes from the bottom of the harbor, that's some nastiness adsorbed onto that sediment and it will all be remobilized in the surf zone.

I highly doubt that they sample every 25 yd3 for coliform, metals, solvents, etc.

Which should give all of us pause that landfills have stricter receiving requirements than the nearshore environment where there actually is tangible human exposure.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I remember some of the sand repleneshment projects from my youth.

1) Oceanside/Fed used to pump sand from the Oceanside Harbormouth waaaaay farther south along the Oceanside coast. The pipe ran at least to the south side of the pier if not farther down the strand.
2) I remember this Trash for Sand project. I think the sand was dumped along South Oceanside specifically. It fucked up the sandbars for the season, forcing our Surf PE program to relocate to Wisconsin Street from Oceanside Boulevard.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 11.51.47 AM.png
3) Now the sand replenishment project is moving toward building retention structures along the coast in Oceanside with one pilot structure all but green lit. I'm not convinced that it will have a significant impact by the look of it. It seems like there is enough support from the surf community, RE interests, and the City Council that detractors and naysayers won't matter.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 11.58.34 AM.png

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I used to surf the stretch between Tyson and Wisconsin Streets a lot. It was a number of years ago and it has been a while since I surfed that way but I would bet what I used to call the "Tyson Street Hole" still exists to some degree on souths.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Arrived at Pillbox today to find a large boat offshore with a pipe running to the shoreline, taking a 90* turn, and blasting sandy water onto the beach with multiple dozers working the area. o_O

You can see the pipe coming ashore in the middle of the first image and the sand + water being blasted out near the middle of the second image. Cant recall the last time I saw a boat offshore harvesting sand, but the bulldozers and backhoes have been a pretty common sight through the years.

View attachment 172847
View attachment 172848
They did this when I lived in NCSD 10 or 15 years ago

Same spot too

Reactions: npsp

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
And they will do it again in the next 10-15 years. Sand comes and goes. All it takes is one good late season NW swell and all that replenished sand will be heading south to Blacks then on to the great La Jolla Canyon Sand Falls and lost forever.
This weekend lol.