San O Done

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
I know that. The pipe. When did they put water in there?
From what I've heard, it was a drainage pipe installed some time back to help keep the bluff from eroding and to assist with the fairy shrimp habitat in the field near the gate. All the runoff from up above undermined the road down below in the parking lot.

Reactions: Haole2u

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
From what I've heard, it was a drainage pipe installed some time back to help keep the bluff from eroding and to assist with the fairy shrimp habitat in the field near the gate. All the runoff from up above undermined the road down below in the parking lot.
Ok thanks. After my time. I left you clowns in charge and you’ve done ruined it. :cursing:

Next you’re gonna tell me the Villa is gone.:shameonyou:

Dec 27, 2020
How much of the loss of sand from Capo thru San Clem to San O is due to storms/sea level rise versus the loss of literal flow of sand southwards from the building of Dana Point Harbor and its subsequent changing of N-to S current flows? Here in Charleston, Folly Beach gets renourishment/pumped sand for free from the feds because the huge Charleston Harbor channel jetties prevent sand from our predominately N to S current flow from reaching Folly. Sullivans Island to the north of the channel is getting vast and wide because it's getting all the blocked sand.
That's how I see it. From my memory the SanO problem started when they created the vernal shrimp pools and the drain pipe for the area washed out the road just past The Point so they added the rocks. Last year they replaced the drainage and it basically emptied at the end of the rocky area creating the breach we have now. Once that started the ocean did it's job and now the wash out is down to Four Doors.

Reactions: Joshua2415

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
That's how I see it. From my memory the SanO problem started when they created the vernal shrimp pools and the drain pipe for the area washed out the road just past The Point so they added the rocks. Last year they replaced the drainage and it basically emptied at the end of the rocky area creating the breach we have now. Once that started the ocean did it's job and now the wash out is down to Four Doors.
Thanks. Boneheaded move.

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
Dana Point Harbor bears some of the blame.
The bigger issue is all the creeks they have shored up with concrete. Before all the development San juan creek used to wind its way to doheny, and along the way it would tear up banks of soil. I drove by doheny over the weekend and the river mouth should have had a huge sand point like it used to. I didn't see much of any sand deposit when I went by.

In 84/85 there was a good sand bar right as you drove down to San O from a storm, on the edge of the base. I don't remember what creek formed that but it was really good, barreling sand bottom lefts, but there were rattle snakes and poison oak in the water. If anything I welcome the erosion, it's what naturally happens and is important for the surf.

Last edited: