San Francisco

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
SFPD budget is up 4.4% since 2019 (so it's actually down when you factor in inflation).

Nobody wants to be a cop when local government and politically powerful voices have decided cops are the lowest form of human life.

And nobody in their right mind puts mind and body at risk to go after criminals who won't be prosecuted and instead get a pat on the head.

SF: at least it's not Seattle.

Oh hi. Someone pressed the Casa Button. Or blew the whistle. I don't know which it was.

You've certainly swallowed the pill.

The 2019 budget was, once again, a record setting budget. The newest budget has topped it at $726 million or something like it. Your 4% increase is over 10 million dollars.

SF had the most police officers per resident than any other major city in the country as of 2019. If you like to play with numbers, you can get that number down, but it remains in the top tier of officers per person throughout the country. Their numbers have dropped, but these numbers are largely created by.......... The police department. I can't imagine what their motivations may be.

Base pay STARTS at 103k. Combine that with OT and officers easily clear another 50-100k. Again, starting. Hundreds of them make 200k plus. Some clear north of 400k.

SFPD can complain about a lot of things, but poverty isn't one of them. If they would like to have a larger impact on crime prevention, understand true understaffing, and still be vilified by the public, I invite them to try teaching. Just don't get me started on SFUSD.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Oh hi. Someone pressed the Casa Button. Or blew the whistle. I don't know which it was.

You've certainly swallowed the pill.

The 2019 budget was, once again, a record setting budget. The newest budget has topped it at $726 million or something like it. Your 4% increase is over 10 million dollars.

SF had the most police officers per resident than any other major city in the country as of 2019. If you like to play with numbers, you can get that number down, but it remains in the top tier of officers per person throughout the country. Their numbers have dropped, but these numbers are largely created by.......... The police department.

Base pay STARTS at 103k. Combine that with OT and officers easily clear another 50-100k. Again, starting. Hundreds of them make 200k plus. Some clear north of 400k.

SFPD can complain about a lot of things, but poverty isn't one of them. If they would like to have a larger impact on crime prevention, understand true understaffing, and still be vilified by the public, I invite them to try teaching. Just don't get me started on SFUSD.
Staffing needs to be determined by number of calls for service.

Not by "officers per resident".

Another question is how many officers are on the paperwork side of things and why.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Staffing needs to be determined by number of calls for service.

Not by "officers per resident".

Another question is how many officers are on the paperwork side of things and why.

Casa wants to take a bite out of crime.
Let me know where you find SF on your calls for service chart.

But lets be honest. This is all the former DA's fault. right?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa wants to take a bite out of crime.
You make it sound like it's a bad thing.

I think people who live in one of the wealthiest most capable cities in the Americas probably deserve to be able to park their car on a city street without, say, a guarantee of having the windows busted out.

To be able to walk their kids to school without crossing paths with a homeless addict that's either using, beating off, or taking a sh!t, etc.

Let me know where you find SF on your calls for service chart.

Calls for service = calls to dispatch to report crime, welfare checks, disturbances, etc

Looks like within the past 15 mins there's been a few burglaries, multiple episodes of violence, a few suicides, not to mention about 20+ other complaints.

When the cops actually get there to investigate (10 hours later because the calls were so stacked, and every call requires paperwork) they have a host of other things working against them...the perp is no longer in the area, Jose had to go to work, the DA isn't going to prosecute this, etc.

But lets be honest. This is all the former DA's fault. right?
I'm guessing it probably runs a whole lot deeper than that.

But I do remember Latinos and Asians were the most likely to vote to recall Mr. Boudin.. which says plenty.

Reactions: john4surf

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Mr Doof's childhood was typical. Luge lessons. Summers in Yangon. When he paddled out at OB he was placed in the Inner Bar impact zone and beaten - pretty standard, really.

Edit: Not sure if it's closed/accessible but I parked in the Sloat lot twice with all my sh!t. Boardbag, roller bag, bookbag with laptop in it. It feels isolated and sort of cut off - in a good way, if you're say, driving there in the morning from the airport with your freshly rented car, or surfing the last day of the trip away before returning to the airport and headed back East. I assume it's a nightmare to get deeper into the City in a car from there. I was under the impression half the people there would go full Doof on any criminal. Crusty looking dudes with toolboxes and 7'0"s. Cambodian fisherman who'd use the thief's meat for bait and make stock out of the rest. Mixed Latin/Asian ethnicity young women enjoying a warm, offshore afternoon who, if some hobo got the wrong idea and acted on it, would unleash a response that would allow me to begin conversations with "Have you ever seen a working-class Cantonese x Guatemalan San Francisco girl beat a vagrant to death with Huawei phone in a Hello Kitty case?"

1 Back in the day, dear old mom was stationed in Yangon when it went by Rangoon, and as such am used to the old way of saying things in some instances.

2 Parking at Sloat in the wee hours with all your crap in the back is way more secure than parking anywhere near a tourist spot and having nothing in your car.

3 Have only seen fighting close to the Cliff House end of the Beach. Was uncertain of ethnicities but they moved as if there had been multiple containers of adult beverages consumed by all parties (including spectators).

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
You make it sound like it's a bad thing.

I think people who live in one of the wealthiest most capable cities in the Americas probably deserve to be able to park their car on a city street without, say, a guarantee of having the windows busted out.

To be able to walk their kids to school without crossing paths with a homeless addict that's either using, beating off, or taking a sh!t, etc.
That's because you are projecting the belief that crime "belongs" to the poor and that wealth should insulate and segregate one from it. It's. simplistic take on the dynamics of a dense, problematic city.

Calls for service = calls to dispatch to report crime, welfare checks, disturbances, etc

Looks like within the past 15 mins there's been a few burglaries, multiple episodes of violence, a few suicides, not to mention about 20+ other complaints.

When the cops actually get there to investigate (10 hours later because the calls were so stacked, and every call requires paperwork) they have a host of other things working against them...the perp is no longer in the area, Jose had to go to work, the DA isn't going to prosecute this, etc.
I'm guessing it probably runs a whole lot deeper than that.
I understand what they are. The running tally doesn't advance the conversation, and you know that. Also, not every call needs a police response.

But I do remember Latinos and Asians were the most likely to vote to recall Mr. Boudin.. which says plenty.
What does that say to you, exactly?

To be fair, the DA comment is more for people in SF, and the failed understanding of the goal and treatment for a perceived problem which requires a nuance I shouldn't expect someone 500 miles away to fully understand.

Reactions: Woke AF

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That's because you are projecting the belief that crime "belongs" to the poor and that wealth should insulate and segregate one from it. It's. simplistic take on the dynamics of a dense, problematic city.
No, I'm suggesting the opposite.

That San Francisco is a wealthy city and therefore has the resources to insulate residents from crime to a degree, regardless of socioeconomic status.

The poor in fact bear the brunt of the crime problems.

Notice most other cities across the country do not seem to have the same problems with crime as SF... rather they are localized to places like SF, Portland, Seattle, LA, etc...weird, huh?

I understand what they are. The running tally doesn't advance the conversation, and you know that. Also, not every call needs a police response.
LOL, you're the one who alluded to the department being thoroughly/overstaffed, I'm providing info showing the volume of calls coming in, many of which do indeed require a police response.

If we want to know if the department is overstaffed we should know something about the volume of calls requiring service and the response time. A large scale survey of residents and shop owners might be a good idea too, in order to find out how many people have simply given up on reporting crime.

How is that not relevant here?

What does that say to you, exactly?
That minorities, who are usually most likely to be the victims of crime, seem to think that the DA is not effectively addressing the needs of the neighborhoods where they live and work.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
No, I'm suggesting the opposite.

That San Francisco is a wealthy city and therefore has the resources to insulate residents from crime to a degree, regardless of socioeconomic status.

The poor in fact bear the brunt of the crime problems.

Notice most other cities across the country do not seem to have the same problems with crime as SF... rather they are localized to places like SF, Portland, Seattle, LA, etc...weird, huh?

LOL, you're the one who alluded to the department being thoroughly/overstaffed, I'm providing info showing the volume of calls coming in, many of which do indeed require a police response.

If we want to know if the department is overstaffed we should know something about the volume of calls requiring service and the response time. A large scale survey of residents and shop owners might be a good idea too, in order to find out how many people have simply given up on reporting crime.

How is that not relevant here?

That minorities, who are usually most likely to be the victims of crime, seem to think that the DA is not effectively addressing the needs of the neighborhoods where they live and work.

Look man. You've come to your conclusions. I'm not going to play the stat game.
You conveniently leave out cities with verifiably higher crime rates, (both violent and property) that don't fit your narrative. It's dishonest. I get it. I give up. You win at owning the libs today. go collect your prize.

I said that SF has more police and more funding for police than most places, by several measures, so perhaps more police isn't the x to be solved for. Maybe I'm wrong. What I'm not wrong about is that the investments needed to truly address the issues of the poor and working class like education in this city are slow, not sexy, and hardly ever survive through an election cycle.

You provided a raw data source. I'm not going to look up the call volume of other cities to compare it to mine so we can continue to pretend to be debating anything about a punching bag of a city you live 500 miles away from and watch on tv and online videos.

Again, my bad for bringing the DA aspect into this as you don't have the context to meaningfully talk about it.

Reactions: bluengreen

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Man, I miss the city. Heading up for OB opening day, hopefully. I'll hit up some of you fuckers to paddle out with me.

Casa, we can carpool. Bring an 8'0 and a few doses of Naloxone.

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
San Francisco and Jacksonville have similarly-sized populations and very little else in common. It looks like property crime is higher in San Francisco and violent crime is higher in Jacksonville.

The 2022 murder numbers are a complete blowout. SF = 56, Duuuuuval = 167.

You gentle people there with flowers in your hair need to harden up. You're getting lapped, dang near multiple times. Do u even kill, bro?

I suggest slaying some teenagers, screen-grabbing the 11pm local news "search for suspect" frame, making a poster out of it - note birthday cake background - then going to their graves and filming a rap video about how you slew them.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr