Rusty custom

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Yea, but even if it's wider overall it looks like the width extends into the nose more if that makes sense although someone else seems to have caught that detail in the dim chart.

You think I should go back to 18.75? I think stock is 18.88 or something
not sure of your usual dims, cannot make blind recommendations

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Man, this is such a bummer. I can imagine your stoke and anticipation of ordering and waiting for a custom, and then the disappointment of it not coming out how you wanted. I know so many guys that have had this happen with customs around here in SD, even with well-known shapers (not necessarily Rusty). This is what's reassuring about being able to feel up a stock board in a shop... or in my case, typically a lightly used board.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone can interpret these CAD files. Trying to figure out what the fack went wrong here. Thought I was getting a step down WQS type shortboard, instead I got a boat. Took my board into the shop and held it next to a stock and its wayyyyy different. Surfs like a hybrid/funboard. Really fucking bummed.

Not trying to be a whiner, already reached out to R. and tactfully explained how the board felt and looked very different from what I was expecting, and that I mentioned when picking it up how full the nose looked but was quickly shut down and that there wasn't any stock SD in the showroom to compare it to. I hardly ever order customs and I've never declined a board at pick up so felt awkward to do so.

R basically said to keep riding the board "enjoy it" and would give me the website discount on my next custom.

Took many days and a phone call to get a response back.

Can anyone tell if the widepoints on these are in different places? Does one have a more foward widepoint and foam distribution? I'm not sure which is the board shaped for me and which is what I had in the online design tool.

View attachment 85992

View attachment 85993
you tried ot control the process. that doesnt work unless youve been working wih the shaper for a bit.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone can interpret these CAD files. Trying to figure out what the fack went wrong here. Thought I was getting a step down WQS type shortboard, instead I got a boat. Took my board into the shop and held it next to a stock and its wayyyyy different. Surfs like a hybrid/funboard. Really fucking bummed.

Not trying to be a whiner, already reached out to R. and tactfully explained how the board felt and looked very different from what I was expecting, and that I mentioned when picking it up how full the nose looked but was quickly shut down and that there wasn't any stock SD in the showroom to compare it to. I hardly ever order customs and I've never declined a board at pick up so felt awkward to do so.

R basically said to keep riding the board "enjoy it" and would give me the website discount on my next custom.

Can anyone tell if the widepoints on these are in different places? Does one have a more foward widepoint and foam distribution? I'm not sure which is the board shaped for me and which is what I had in the online design tool.

View attachment 85992

View attachment 85993
These differences are minor , Many on here are raving about the Fling - a wide , short fun shape - Way wider than this board and working great . All this internet crap has created this thought pattern .

Last edited:

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
It sure is nice to know what you’re getting when you pay for it. I like off the rack, preferably used off the rack

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I think the expectations didn't match the board. Description says it is based off the Yes, Thanks which is a fatter, thicker performance board. The SD is dialed down from that. Doesn't sound like a board a WQS'er is going to reach for. Looks like it has the same hip as the one on the website. I think the nose looks better actually. The board is fat and wide from the tail block to about 6 inches from the nose.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

View attachment 85992
First sentence is where you failed. If you looked at a stock SD you'd see it's a stepdown with somewhat of a bloated outline even for it's class. You didn't seem to deviate much from stock dims. If you have that specific or demanding requests, a true custom is the right call. You made the mistake of riding it first but I sort of question that if you received the board wanting QS dims and couldn't tell that by holding it in your arm. I'm not that picky and can tell how a board is going to be (generally speaking) under my arm without getting it wet.

Sorry, not trying to be a dick but I have to side with shapers especially on this one, The discount online rusty program has it's flaws right now but I think most of the fault is with you.

I recommend going to a quality shaper in person where they can take measurements of your existing board to dial it in perfectly for you.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That sucks, fade.

Like I've said before I would never touch one of those online custom board making things.

Personally I've had great experiences @ Rusty in person. Clint was beyond great.

Another guy there seemed to kinda just want to sell me a board, I'd avoid him.

But other than that they were pretty solid beginning to end.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
First sentence is where you failed. If you looked at a stock SD you'd see it's a stepdown with somewhat of a bloated outline even for it's class. You didn't seem to deviate much from stock dims. If you have that specific or demanding requests, a true custom is the right call. You made the mistake of riding it first but I sort of question that if you received the board wanting QS dims and couldn't tell that by holding it in your arm. I'm not that picky and can tell how a board is going to be (generally speaking) under my arm without getting it wet.

Sorry, not trying to be a dick but I have to side with shapers especially on this one, The discount online rusty program has it's flaws right now but I think most of the fault is with you.

I recommend going to a quality shaper in person where they can take measurements of your existing board to dial it in perfectly for you.

I wouldn't side with either.

- fade ignored a lot of the red flags

- the customer service sounds completely shitty.

Lack of communication and lack of balls seems often to be the root of problem with all these custom-board-went-bad stories

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Welcome to the club of customs not what you wanted and crapy oh wells...

My advice for moving forward , find a local shaper that makes boards like what you want ( wqs grinder ) and start working with him . you will be a lot more happy in the long run .

Just off my head you got Chris Borst , AJW , Chemistry , Michael Barron all right there

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Welcome to the club of customs not what you wanted and crapy oh wells...

My advice for moving forward , find a local shaper that makes boards like what you want ( wqs grinder ) and start working with him . you will be a lot more happy in the long run .

Just off my head you got Chris Borst , AJW , Chemistry , Michael Barron all right there
Ryan Sakal is perfect for that. Shapes out of moonlight.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
find local shaper take in ur old boars. have them msr rocker thickness flow rail profile bottom contours and decal placement. plan on 3 iterations of the same boar tweaked. each iteration take boar to shaper n explain what u likey n no likey. by iteration 3 u will have magic boar n start ur ct campaign

• Haha
Reactions: isurfcardiff

surfthis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 18, 2002
lefts off the reef
my issue isnt the dims per se, its the big full nose, forward foam distribution and almost no hip.
Did you actually measure the board? You're calling the nose big and full. Your requested dimensions at 12" from the tip is only 1/4" wider than stock. That's 1/8" either size making you think it's too big and full. Seems pretty minuscule. I wonder if the dims you got aren't what you asked for.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Prefer fling over gremlin - by a wide margin. But that's off topic and just my kooky opinion.

GG - I'm following that the numbers aren't too far off. But the boards do look different. Just camera angle?

Reactions: racer1 and Havoc