Russia hacking WAY more serious than previously thought....

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
afoaf said:
GromsDad said:
Trump told a joke mocking Hillary Clinton over the missing emails. To spin that as something else shows how stupid and desperate the left is.
for a moment, consider if Killary McEmails made that joke and tell me
how hard you'd be convulsing at the notion of a presidential candidate
calling on a foreign state to hack her opponent.

your powers of rationalization are....powerful.
don't forget that one campaign speech when Cheeto told gun owners to kill Hillary if she won.

Gnudz

Phil Edwards status
Apr 5, 2011
Jonestown
www.stormsurfing.com
GromsDad said:
Gnudz said:
GromsDad said:
Obama told the Russians to "Knock It Off!!!" Ha!!!!
And Trump told them to keep it up.

I wonder which is worse... :shrug:
Trump told a joke mocking Hillary Clinton over the missing emails. To spin that as something else shows how stupid and desperate the left is.
Very few people think it was a joke. He looked straight into the camera and seemed deadly serious to me. Trump neither smiled nor laughed, and I don't remember anyone in the room at the time laughing either.

More than that, Trump has been working to undo the sanctions Obama placed on Russia, not just for election meddling but for invading a sovereign European country. Trump has done nothing but excuse the Russian meddling while kissing Putin's ass. Putin asked Trump to host Kislyak and Lavrov, along with only a Russian photographer, in the Oval Office in the midst of all this intrigue and Trump obliges.

Trump's actions have only rewarded, emboldened, and encouraged Putin and his former KGB buddies.

Gnudz

Phil Edwards status
Apr 5, 2011
Jonestown
www.stormsurfing.com
GDaddy said:
My oldest son works as a cyber security analyst for a company that has several state and county governments among their clients. He tracks and monitors and deals with hackers in real time. I asked him about the issue and he said its ridiculously simple for a hacker to masquerade as almost any other party coming in from almost any other country because the hacks have been copied and are widely available in their networks. Although he's had no contact with any of the "election" hacking activity he thinks the origins of that traffic are domestic, not foreign. He expressed it as a strong opinion.
A valid, educated opinion, but still only an opinion.

The U.S. intelligence community have all found that, by looking at all the evidence gathered from all their various sources, the Russians have, and continue to, run counterintelligence operations against our democratic elections. These are intelligence "findings" not just opinions, and they take into account much more than just digital information.

What is most striking to me here is that, though there may be political opposition to the findings, there is zero dissension coming from the anywhere in the intelligence community. Compare this issue with that of Saddam's WMDs, which had all kinds of dissension n the ranks, and I think they must have a pretty compelling case.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Gnudz said:
GDaddy said:
My oldest son works as a cyber security analyst for a company that has several state and county governments among their clients. He tracks and monitors and deals with hackers in real time. I asked him about the issue and he said its ridiculously simple for a hacker to masquerade as almost any other party coming in from almost any other country because the hacks have been copied and are widely available in their networks. Although he's had no contact with any of the "election" hacking activity he thinks the origins of that traffic are domestic, not foreign. He expressed it as a strong opinion.

The U.S. intelligence community have all found that, by looking at all the evidence gathered from all their various sources, the Russians have, and continue to, run counterintelligence operations against our democratic elections. These are intelligence "findings" not just opinions, and they take into account much more than just digital information.

What is most striking to me here is that, though there may be political opposition to the findings, there is zero dissension coming from the anywhere in the intelligence community. Compare this issue with that of Saddam's WMDs, which had all kinds of dissension n the ranks, and I think they must have a pretty compelling case.
The intelligence community is not dissenting on this at all because it is 100% a failure on their part to stop this. What will they say they need to stop it in the future? More control and more violations of our rights, privacy and security. I can't believe it took me this long to figure it out.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
ifallalot said:
Gnudz said:
GDaddy said:

The intelligence community is not dissenting on this at all because it is 100% a failure on their part to stop this. What will they say they need to stop it in the future? More control and more violations of our rights, privacy and security. I can't believe it took me this long to figure it out.
champions states rights...argues the intelligence community is responsible
for providing network security to independent state agencies.

do intelligence agencies otherwise provide information security services
for federal entities or is that under the purview of other departments?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
afoaf said:
ifallalot said:
Gnudz said:
GDaddy said:

champions states rights...argues the intelligence community is responsible
for providing network security to independent state agencies.

do intelligence agencies otherwise provide information security services
for federal entities or is that under the purview of other departments?
I've never championed states' rights Despite the massive and continual failures of our federal government federalism is still the best way to go.

The fact that our states run federal elections is a base failure in itself

Gnudz

Phil Edwards status
Apr 5, 2011
Jonestown
www.stormsurfing.com
ifallalot said:
Gnudz said:
GDaddy said:

I'll tell you one thing, If Trump and the Republicans start acting more like Putin and his KGB oligarch friends, you're not going to like it.

We must remain vigilant!

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
sizzld1 said:
GromsDad said:
GDaddy said:
By using proxi servers a kid can make it look like he's anywhere on the planet as he downloads, hacks or whatever.
Are you really so daft that you don't believe our security agencies would review that????
Are you really so daft that you don't think our security agencies have their own agenda and it doesn't always line up with the truth or what is consistent with the will of the people?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
sizzld1 said:
GDaddy said:
Seeing as how he's an insider to that security community and has dealt with the same hacking software in his day job I thought his comments might add to the discussion more than if I didn't mention it.

FWIW, he also says some of his clients occasionally also get probed by traffic that traces to Utah and Maryland where the NSA operates from. Lots of traffic from various countries in Asia, east Europe and Russia, too.
I think it does add to the discussion. And I don't discount his concerns. I just have trouble with him coming to a conclusion on the issue, with any level of certainty, without seeing the actual evidence. We employ the best intelligence officials in the world (or close to it), I have confidence that they looked into every single angle we could possibly imagine and then some before coming to their conclusions.
Trust the government!

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
stu dog said:
afoaf said:
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-06-13/russian-breach-of-39-states-threatens-future-u-s-elections

what's funny is that this article paints a picture that Russia interference
is more pervasive and insidious than a simple misinformation campaign.

Obama declined to do anything about it or tell anyone.
good analysis of Russia's goals with the hacking to disrupt anything democratic and Obama's dilemma of whether to retaliate with like kind attacks

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/to-the-point/is-the-threat-from-russia-missing-from-the-russia-meddling-probe
What a dilemma

Obama must have been very conflicted!

Except he wasn't when it came to the Israeli election

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
His preferred negotiation strategy; harsh language.

I bet Putin was quaking in his boots.