Rowing Machine vs Peloton

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Who’s got one? Thoughts?

Looking for some additional at home workout solutions for GF and myself. Peloton is def in consideration but I want more upper body since I already do a lot of outdoor cycling. Considering the ergatta and the hydrow, possible more basic ones without connectivity as well.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't think the appeal with peleton is so much the machine itself, it's the integration with the app and community aspect. Which costs extra money, of course. If you don't care about that, buy whatever you think you will use more often.

Reactions: Havoc

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I find peace on the Chesapeake Bay and it's rivers. There's a few Coastal areas in the back bays but it's more therapeutic heading away from the masses than toward them. I have an almost personal relationship with several ospreys and a heron or two. Also Bald Eagles, Kingfishers, ducks pelicans etc but the ospreys, I know they know me.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I find peace on the Chesapeake Bay and it's rivers. There's a few Coastal areas in the back bays but it's more therapeutic heading away from the masses than toward them. I have an almost personal relationship with several ospreys and a heron or two. Also Bald Eagles, Kingfishers, ducks pelicans etc but the ospreys, I know they know me.
There is no arguing that the real thing would be best, but I’m headed back to
work soon and want to keep the ball rolling. Looking for the kinda thing where I can get a good workout at home in 30-60min at a time.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Yeah I'm sorry.
I highly recommend rowing for all the muscles you can focus on. Seems to me the muscles I need to work on the ones that help your core, posture, and appearance, like the 6pack factor the rowing does really well.
I think the Pelaton may be more engaging but I haven't seen modern rowing equipment either.
Time is the biggest drawback to kayaking, I end up needing 3-4 hours out of my day from the time I leave and get back home, loading unloading parking launching, the time is often a deal breaker. There's also wind, thunderstorms traffic.
Rowing will hook you up as a surfer. YMMV.

Reactions: $kully

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Vasa trainer is great for dry land swimming if that's what your after. It has a leg platform attachment for leg work as well.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
real deal actual rowing is great, bu not a realistic yr round routine many can pull off

indoor rower is the fastest way to kick your own ass. but like any solo workout the motivation is on you.

been doing 30-32000m/wk broken into four session/wk. takes like 30ish. min/per sess.

great cardio. go rower. your posture will thank you

Reactions: $kully

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
i rowed for a long time, both on machines and for real....my two cents is it's a great workout but if you go into it with any lower back issues, you will sure exacerbate them. i had spondylolisthesis as a young man (A spinal disorder in which a bone (vertebra) slips forward onto the bone below it) and after several years of machine rowing and then a year of river rowing, i had no disk left between L5 & S1. ymmv.

Reactions: Hump

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Just get a Concept 2 and call it a day. Takes up such a small amount of space when not in use.

LEARN TO ROW though. I've seen a lot of friends who've gotten a Hydrow or post their workouts from crossfit on the erg and its always entertaining. Learning to properly row will get way more of out of the workout and keep you from injuring yourself. It can get monotonous and boring but I was in the best shape of my life when I rowed in college. I keep telling myself to get back on the erg and do 30 mins steady state a few times a week. Hasn't happened yet.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Who’s got one? Thoughts?

Looking for some additional at home workout solutions for GF and myself. Peloton is def in consideration but I want more upper body since I already do a lot of outdoor cycling. Considering the ergatta and the hydrow, possible more basic ones without connectivity as well.
Peletons are good for potatoes who seldom get off the couch because at that point anything works. Neither give you any sort of strength benefit training but can offer a mix of aerobic and anaerobic training.

Rowing machines are the real deal. The good news is that they have adjustable seats so even a "male" with a feminine albeit pudgy shape should find a way to make it fit. At the end of the day your "girlfriend" is just going to use it to hang laundry off of while you sit around and smoke cigarettes.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
i rowed for a long time, both on machines and for real....my two cents is it's a great workout but if you go into it with any lower back issues, you will sure exacerbate them. i had spondylolisthesis as a young man (A spinal disorder in which a bone (vertebra) slips forward onto the bone below it) and after several years of machine rowing and then a year of river rowing, i had no disk left between L5 & S1. ymmv.
Rowers are great tools for people rehabbing from back issues. There is nothing in the position of the body through the rowing motion that is dangerous or somehow increases the chances for injury. There is a ramping up period for everything and if your body isn't prepared for the work discomfort could be the result...but not because you've done any structural damage.

There are plenty of people on rowers every day who have disc degeneration and desiccation who are pain free.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I bought a Nordic Track rower for the wife. They have one that is linked on-line like the Peloton but I opted out of that and went for the cheaper model. It folds up when not in use so it doesn't take up a ton of floor space. I've used it a few times. I can't hang with it for longer than about 45 minutes. 30 minutes most of the time. My ass can't take much more than that. My body is well capable of going longer, but the contact point on my ass just starts getting to me. Butt your mileage may vary.

• Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores