RIP Dick Dale

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
Impressive how much Double D toured until his passing. Even this year, bunch of shows planned

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
HEAR FOR A GOOD TIME !! ) :wave2:

NOT FOR A LONG TIME !! )

Dick, you were the BEST !! )

inventor of TFL !! )

The ORIGINAL (before Jimi !! ) LHBMF !! ) :cheers:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Dale was quoted that he had to continue touring to stay alive. He needed the money, $3000 a month (beyond what insurance paid) to pay for all the meds he was prescribed. Accolades will be coming from friends/musicians I suppose, Van Halen, etc. Saw photos of him playing with Hendrix and Stevie Ray. Leo Fender made cable sized bass strings for him and Dale reportedly buried up over 50 Fender amps Leo provided for testing in live music environments. RIP Dick

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Saw him at The Coach House many years ago and got my picture taken with him at that Haleiwa surf contest back in the day that Tom Curren won on a logo free board.

Legendary pioneering surf guitarist...will be missed. His music will always live on!

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Took my folks to see him and the Mermen this past October at Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz. Amazing show, great stories, and the guy played a plethora of different instruments throughout the night. He shredded till the very end. :jam_on:
RIP DD

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I saw him at a small club in Eureka CA around 2001... place was packed!

Made me realize just how deep he went into culture.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Yeah, saw him in Scotia of all places, got the last two tickets. What a fantastic show! He was a pilot too so we talked flying, had his own airstrip out at Twentynine Palms. He sure rocked that little old growth redwood theater that night...RIP Dick Dale.

SurfsUpChuck

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 3, 2005
Alma, Ca
Cool stories. Saw him at the Leo Fender Memorial JAM at UCI gym after Leo passed away. The first guy to talk was an aerospace engineer who helped Leo Fender design the stratocaster. James Burton was there. Robby Krieger from the Doors, and a whole bunch of other guitarists. Dick Dale told a story or two and played his strat. Was really cool. He owned the corner house by the Wedge for many years. Have had 'Dick Dale and the Del-Tones: King Of The Surf Guitar' for a long time. A great CD. I love old surf music. The Turtles were the The Crossfires before they made it big. Found an interesting article on Dick Dale. A good read. His music lives on! https://medium.com/@martinjsmith/why-dick-dale-may-never-die-b9a3fbfd5a42

thrillkicker

Nep status
Mar 16, 2009
Do any of the old fossils here remember THE RENDEZVOUS BALLROOM?
Dale's original stomping ground.
R.I.P.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Saw him in the early 90s at Slims.

He was recording a live album and was asking the crowd to ham it up a little.

If there are a few things I can't abide, it is being asked to chant for someone on stage, platform, dais, etc. So I remained mute.

Other than that, fun time.

Perhaps not as much fun as the Phantom Surfers opening for Tiny Tim at the Great American Music Hall, but still pretty fun.