Riding my quad as a twin

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
So I've got a 6'6 Christenson Nautilus with a quad setup that I often ride as a twin and I like it with both fin setups. Now I'm looking at getting the same board as a 6'2. Here's my question. Should I get it as a twin fin? Am I missing an amazing experience with the current fin box setup or am I already getting the benefits of both worlds? Thoughts? Thanks.

IMG_2589.JPG

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I would go dedicated twin if you are considering it.

The twin boxes will be placed further back than your quad fronts and especially since you are going down in length I think you will want those boxes further back. For longer boards like the 6-6 having the boxes further forward is okay, even if it's not maybe ideal, it loosens the board up but I think for shorter lengths the more rearward placement has advantages.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Go twin boxes, for the reasons already described. CC certainly knows twins and it will feel much better than your current DIY half-a-quad.

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
yes twin. + fcs trailer box just to change it up on those days when you feel like you could fuck the neighbors cat

• Haha
Reactions: johnson7

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
your board on the right trips me out on top of that floor. If it wasn't for the board bag under it, i would've thought it was transparent.

Reactions: csarqui
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Another vote for dedicated twin here. More speed, hold, and drive with the boxes in the correct spot.
If you like it, you'll probably rarely ride the quad fishes anymore.
Don't leave out Twinzers as an option if you want to get fancy.

I found the Roberts Twonzer to be a good compromise between a quad and a twin

Last edited:

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I can't comment on the actual speed, but honestly my twin feels so much faster, than my fastest quad. I imagine a lot of it is more likely the free feel of only two fins, but it is addicting... I ordered a twin keel fish too, just to make sure, but now I wanna see what riding twin + nubsters feels like in my quad?

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
To answer the speed question, I'm pretty sure more fins=more drag. I think I heard Steve Lis say in an interview that quads would be more beneficial on a traditional fish for riding backside, but I never personally had an issue going backhand on a twin. I have heard people say that the wide swallow tail of the traditional fish provides extra traction, and I believe it.

I rode a quad RNF Retro with a set of twin Keels in the front boxes and empty rears, on some decent reef break waves, and it went okay, but I feel like it just made the board a little more skatey, in a good way, but not faster like a true twin fish. I bought a set of 50/50 nubsters for the rear boxes of that board, but haven't gotten around to trying it.

Reactions: oeste858

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I can't comment on the actual speed, but honestly my twin feels so much faster, than my fastest quad. I imagine a lot of it is more likely the free feel of only two fins, but it is addicting... I ordered a twin keel fish too, just to make sure, but now I wanna see what riding twin + nubsters feels like in my quad?
Just a little caveat. In my experience I had better results with narrow tailed boards with this setup.

But(!) I only tried it on a wider tail board once but that board likes 3 fins.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I really like the twin backside, It's a style trainer for sure. I kinda try and push the rear knee forward, kinda like the way Luke Egan and Margo always had those stances (It's the way I skate too.) Not to much pressure on the tail but enough to feel the feedback your getting, and when you want to break it free, or mash on the front foot as a gas pedal.

Reactions: csarqui