Residential solar panels - do they make financial sense?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
i want to learn more about solar panels for my house to see if they make sense and avoid any stupid mistakes if I get them. So here I am, where there are experts on everything
im kind of at the point where I don’t know what I don’t know and need to learn a lot or I’ll probably get taken for a shitton of money and an equal amount of headaches

anyone got solar?
got lessons learned?anyone in NY with recommendations?
best resources for learning, aside from the erbb?
thanks for your help

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
got solar. off grid for 40 years. but thats not you.

you are residential line tie guy. so what are your goals. are you bottom line bean counter guy or just some virtue signalling schmuck flexing on the cul de sac?

without tax incentives it wont pencil. but do it anyway. its the right thing to do.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
My goal is long term financial benefit

virtue signaling as a side benefit is fine, but where I live, I wouldn’t expect it to be interpreted that way

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
We put in solar in Southern California a little over 10 years ago. It has definitely paid for itself over that time. YMMV. Do your research and find a good contractor you trust. I think there are some fairly generous tax incentives available.
We don’t have a battery bank. All of our excess electricity goes back into the grid. Most months we receive a credit instead of a bill.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Installed 22 panels last summer and will true up in July. Currently running a bit behind with 12.3MWh Produced and 13.2MWh Consumed, but should make up quite a bit in the sunny month ahead.

We also had a really wet Winter and Gloomy Spring, so wasnt pulling in much for months on end it would seem.

Just know that your Electric and Gas bills wont automatically be separated and San DIego Gas & Electric has done an atrocious job of billing and applying payments. II've been on the phone several times trying to make sens eof the sh*t I'm seeing month over month.

One thing to keep in mind, you are still liable to pay your electric distribution costs every month, that's the fees etc. to bring all that electricity you use to your home. What you only pay for our true up once a year is your actual consumption.

The only way to truly say F You to the utility companies is to install batteries, and there are tricky ways to have your home set up to draw all its power from your batteries during the hours of the day that the utility companies want to charge you most (4pm - 9pm in my area). But you wont be pumping an AC while running all your lights and appliances for long on batteries, even like $30k worth of batteries... and charging an EV, forgetaboutit.

Reactions: Random Guy

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
Your goals/reasoning for going Solar, sun hours your home gets, annual kWh usage, roof age, roof orientation, future plans for your home, what company/size of the company you plan on working with, all play a factor.

Depending on where you are in NY, I could possibly put you in touch with someone who could give you a starting point.

My wife is from Commack Ny and every time we go back, another home has Solar on it. It’s pretty cool to see.

Reactions: Random Guy

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
We just signed a contract this spring to get grandfathered in before the new net metering law applies here in CA. If you signed before mid April, you get a 1:1 credit for what you produce: what you use. After that, you get 0.25:1. And we're getting 30% fed tax credit, including our electrical panel upgrade and roof (had old wooden slats/shingles).

We have 2 EVs, but we're on a TOU plan w SDGE. We have our chargers set to charge at midnight when rates are cheapest.

They're installing everything next month. Can't wait to blast our AC this summer!

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
The "Canary Guy" 's 2 cents....

If you are on a residential grid, you have options:

1-) of going traditional with batteries and off grid, huge initial investment, some long term maintenance and you get to say FU to the electric company, and power shortages.

2-) of going hybrid with batteries and connected to the grid, same initial huge investment (or not), same long term maintenance and you can not say FU to the electric company. But you can get compensated for you excedence that you dump into the grid, and you are reducing the power companies need to generate as much because they get your left overs on the cheap. They always pay you less for what you dump, than they chatrge you for what you consume.

3-) of going hybrid without batteries and then must be connected to the grid, lowest possible initial investment, as the batteries are what cost the most normally of the installation. You dump you excess produced during the day, and pull from the grid at night and on cloudy days.

My advice, if you are unsure, try no. 3 as it's the lowest cost to start, go a year like that while you investigate batteries... eventually, you want batteries so you can really make an impact both in terms of your bills monthly and the reduction of power the local grid need generate to satiate demand. IE: you help yourself, and at the same time make an impact and help others.

We went with no. 2. The biggest drawback is that when the grid goes down, technically we get cut off and cannot even consume from our batteries... the "story" being that if we are dumping into the grid while it goes down, we may potentially harm workers that go to repair the grid. Riiiiiight. Cause they don't know how to cut power when they work, or be correctly grounded snd with the proper equipment to not get fried.

There is an easy work around if your local power company tries this on you... it involves cutting the circuit breaker in the box at the edge of your property, where the grid connection is... you simply pull that fuse, and you can consume normally while the grid is down from your solar installation without risk of harm to anyone but yourself. Physically you could get fried if you do not know what you are doing, and fiscally there will be fines for doing so no doubt.

Of you do decide to go off grid and say FU to the power company, invest in a really good generator for when you need to work on the system, when it malfunctions or when it's too cloudy for days on end to generate a lick of power. Wind mills are a good back up, normally when it's cloudy the wind kicks up.... but not all residential zones are cool with wind mills on a residential property.

Good luck! Post pics!

Here is ours, a little system by US A standards....

IMG-20220614-WA0002.jpegIMG-20220614-WA0003.jpeg20220616_135742.jpg

...we went with Goodwe, the Chinese branch of General Electric.

3.6kW in 8 panels, inverter and a 5.4kW battery. Hybrid/connected to grid.

Our electric bill went from 200-300€ per month to 15€, and the hook up fee you pay for the meter is 13€... so basically saving 185-285€ per month, and we dump enough to the grid to cover 2 thrifty neighbors consumption, or 1 energy hog. Our entire system, with install came to 12k€ and change.

We run 2 central rooftop AC units, dishwasher, clothes washer and a water heater, 2 TV and all the lights on and no worries.

Our conclusion after a little over a year since the install is, WHY THE HECK DIDN'T WE DO IT SOONER!!!!

:waving::shaka:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The "Canary Guy" 's 2 cents....

If you are on a residential grid, you have options:

1-) of going traditional with batteries and off grid, huge initial investment, some long term maintenance and you get to say FU to the electric company, and power shortages.

2-) of going hybrid with batteries and connected to the grid, same initial huge investment (or not), same long term maintenance and you can not say FU to the electric company. But you can get compensated for you excedence that you dump into the grid, and you are reducing the power companies need to generate as much because they get your left overs on the cheap. They always pay you less for what you dump, than they chatrge you for what you consume.

3-) of going hybrid without batteries and then must be connected to the grid, lowest possible initial investment, as the batteries are what cost the most normally of the installation. You dump you excess produced during the day, and pull from the grid at night and on cloudy days.

My advice, if you are unsure, try no. 3 as it's the lowest cost to start, go a year like that while you investigate batteries... eventually, you want batteries so you can really make an impact both in terms of your bills monthly and the reduction of power the local grid need generate to satiate demand. IE: you help yourself, and at the same time make an impact and help others.

We went with no. 2. The biggest drawback is that when the grid goes down, technically we get cut off and cannot even consume from our batteries... the "story" being that if we are dumping into the grid while it goes down, we may potentially harm workers that go to repair the grid. Riiiiiight. Cause they don't know how to cut power when they work, or be correctly grounded snd with the proper equipment to not get fried.

There is an easy work around if your local power company tries this on you... it involves cutting the circuit breaker in the box at the edge of your property, where the grid connection is... you simply pull that fuse, and you can consume normally while the grid is down from your solar installation without risk of harm to anyone but yourself. Physically you could get fried if you do not know what you are doing, and fiscally there will be fines for doing so no doubt.

Of you do decide to go off grid and say FU to the power company, invest in a really good generator for when you need to work on the system, when it malfunctions or when it's too cloudy for days on end to generate a lick of power. Wind mills are a good back up, normally when it's cloudy the wind kicks up.... but not all residential zones are cool with wind mills on a residential property.

Good luck! Post pics!

Here is ours, a little system by US A standards....

View attachment 156993View attachment 156994View attachment 156996

...we went with Goodwe, the Chinese branch of General Electric.

3.6kW in 8 panels, inverter and a 5.4kW battery. Hybrid/connected to grid.

Our electric bill went from 200-300€ per month to 15€, and the hook up fee you pay for the meter is 13€... so basically saving 185-285€ per month, and we dump enough to the grid to cover 2 thrifty neighbors consumption, or 1 energy hog. Our entire system, with install came to 12k€ and change.

We run 2 central rooftop AC units, dishwasher, clothes washer and a water heater, 2 TV and all the lights on and no worries.

Our conclusion after a little over a year since the install is, WHY THE HECK DIDN'T WE DO IT SOONER!!!!

:waving::shaka:
I have option #2 and don't have a problem using battery power when the grid goes down. I live in CA though.

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I have option #2 and don't have a problem using battery power when the grid goes down. I live in CA though.
Spain is different... we had a "Sun Tax" not too long ago. Think knuckles still dragging along on the pavement despite the suits and pretty pictures the local politicians have to show how "upstanding" they are. However, in reality, if you look at Websters definition of CORRUPT TO THE GILLS, you find their photo within.

:socrazy::shrug::bricks::cursing::porcorn:

Reactions: jkb

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I’m not expecting to go off the grid
ive got a pretty small roof, pretty close to full sun exposure on the south face of the roof
the roof is 4 years old

"Long Term Financial Benefit"

If that is what determines your decisions.........Wow!
wow?
why wow?
Your goals/reasoning for going Solar, sun hours your home gets, annual kWh usage, roof age, roof orientation, future plans for your home, what company/size of the company you plan on working with, all play a factor.

Depending on where you are in NY, I could possibly put you in touch with someone who could give you a starting point.

My wife is from Commack Ny and every time we go back, another home has Solar on it. It’s pretty cool to see.
I’m Long Island, south shore Nassau county, so not tto close to commack, but not too far either

Add 10% more panels than you think you need.
my initial thought is that i‘d fit as many on my room as possible, and it still won’t be enough to power the house

figuring out how much energy could be generated given the size of my roof, the best financing, making sure the house is still sellable, and finding a contractor I can trust seem to be where I need to do some research

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Did the math about 20 yrs back.

Cost to install would not be recouped for 25+ years if everything worked perfectly.

I blame my low power bills for this outcome.

May need to run numbers again if we get electric car.

PS
Gas and 'letric bill less than $100 a month.

Last edited:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
We had solar installed free 4 years ago by Sun Run.
Connected to the grid.
Monthly bill dropped maybe 25%.
We get a check from SCE toward end of year, around $200.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
The going rate for panels + install is $30-$60k+ around here. So if you save $300 a month on your electric bill, your break even point on the low end is 100 months, on the higher end 200+. Some cannot be removed, so when the roof needs to be redone you lose your investment.

Reactions: Mr Doof