Recommend A Step Up/Good Wave Board

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I've been curious too. My concern it that it seems the Happy would lack drive compared to the Ghost. Don't know though.
Finally saw some Happys in person. Nose looks considerably narrower than a ghost. It's a pretty standard hpsb outline - smooth, no breaks and pretty straight. The foil is adjusted a bit forward. I would think it has enough drive but it's probably a little more neutral feeling than some of the wide-point forward shortboards/step-ups.

Ghosts are still pretty unique with their outline and foil. It's definitely wider and thicker through the nose. I personally feel more confident with this width and thickness up front. They paddle really well and feel more stable to me.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Also thinking about a Sabo Taj, maybe slightly over volumed?
The stock Round Up IMHO is going to be much, much more volumed than the Sabo Taj, so I'd strike that if you're thinking the Sabo Taj might be too over-volumed, unless you are saying you want to bump the Sabo Taj volume up.

I only have a session or two on my Round Up; I got a 6'8" used, kind of on a pre-trip whim. It paddles great and gets into waves great, but at just a bit more volume than my 6'6"s, turning is night and day, and I prefer the 6'6"s if there's any bump on the face. At least for me, the 6'8" Round Up gets bounced all over the place, I assume on account of the volume as my lower volume 6'10" doesn't do that, at all.

Reactions: Aruka and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The stock Round Up IMHO is going to be much, much more volumed than the Sabo Taj, so I'd strike that if you're thinking the Sabo Taj might be too over-volumed, unless you are saying you want to bump the Sabo Taj volume up.

I only have a session or two on my Round Up; I got a 6'8" used, kind of on a pre-trip whim. It paddles great and gets into waves great, but at just a bit more volume than my 6'6"s, turning is night and day, and I prefer the 6'6"s if there's any bump on the face. At least for me, the 6'8" Round Up gets bounced all over the place, I assume on account of the volume as my lower volume 6'10" doesn't do that, at all.
I meant going slightly bigger on the sabo taj, big fan of volume for east coast winter, hard breaking usually hard offshore surf.

Reactions: ehiunno

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I meant going slightly bigger on the sabo taj, big fan of volume for east coast winter, hard breaking usually hard offshore surf.
+5mil kit, freezing air temp and major crowds...

thankfully when it's really on the crowds thin out a lot

Reactions: mundus

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
This past Wednesday I was checking out a 6'2 Ghost Pro and a regular 6'0 Ghost and was kind of tripping on how the volume flows into the last 8 inches of the nose. It looked a lot different than a more traditional step up/firing waves board, like a 6'1 JS FMII I was also checking out.

I always think I need a new step up, but I just don't seem to search out the biggest waves in my area and seem content to surf double overhead waves out front as opposed to riding my bike 10 minutes to the opposite side of the harbor to surf potentially triple overhead waves (if that even happens in a given year). I rode my 6'3 Cordell step up once last year and after I was in the wave, I wished I was on my 5'11 Fever.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Lol yeah that classic "we started with board X and all we changed was the outline, rocker, foil and dims to get a board nothing like it!"

Anyways I don't doubt they are different in some important ways, just that they seem to serve the same purpose. The ghost has surely gone through some file iterations too. The tail on mine is aggressively narrow (14" on a 5'11) and the tail on the newer ghosts doesn't look quite so pulled in. I wouldn't know without measuring a newer one though.
Hi guys---- Ghost came from Short-cut, Short-cut came from Next Step, Next Step came from my brain....
All from one rocker curve that somehow fits a lot of different types of waves (years ago Mark Healey told me that his 6'3'' Next Step felt like one of the best Shortboards he'd ridden). The SC was a chopped off version of the NS, and then I refined that outline to get rid of the "ears" that a wide nosed board can have up front. Too catchy in the tube and not ideal unless you go very short. The Ghost has a pulled in outline when compared to SC, and of course I've made constant small changes to the "master" versions of it. over the past few years, but nothing major has changed in the rocker.
The Ghost Pro and XL versions simply refer to the stock dimensions we offer them in, nothing different in the design.
We do make a wider tail version for custom orders and also swallow tails.
My best advice when thinking about a ghost is they ride longer and thinner than they are, so don't go too far up in length and don't be afraid to go 1/8" to 1/4" thicker depending on the size of waves you want to catch/ride .
We have live chat on our website now, so please hit up my crew for quick (usually) answers to your nagging questions!!

Jun 17, 2015
Local shaper...... You'll learn a lot more than just picking a "pop out model"....

and you'll be supporting......... your local shaper...

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Local shaper...... You'll learn a lot more than just picking a "pop out model"....

and you'll be supporting......... your local shaper...
Would like to, but the shaper I am thinking of seems to specialize in customs and can;t find the model I want stock.