Real roundtoe booties

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I need roundtoe booties. Real roundtoe booties.

This is the old Xcel X-flex 3.0:

The longest point of the sole - the "nose," if you will - is centered on the foot. In other words, the area that sticks out the farthest lines up around the second toe of the foot.

This is the cut all Xcel's newer "roundtoe" boots have:

This is the same sole as a split toe or hidden split, minus the actual split. The long point of the bootie is on the big toe, just like most split toes.

My second toe is longer than my big toe. I can't wear split toed booties, or fake roundtoes. Xcel does not seem to manufacture the Xflex 3.0 anymore. Other manufacturers also seem to only use the same fake-split toe sole pattern.

Where the hell can I find an honest roundtoe bootie? The one pair I've found are the Rip Curl Flashbombs - but only the 7mm has a real roundtoe! The 5mm and 3mm are the fake split toe sole. I bought the 7mms to dive in, but I think they're overkill for surfing the NorCal coast.

Help me erBB!

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Followup: from looking at pictures online, it appears the Quiksilver Syncro is a real roundtoe. Anyone know what shops carry them in the Ventura area?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Rip Curl used to make a real cheap bootie, the "Classic" that was a real round toe, not sure if they still have them. I also picked up some cheap O'Neills that were real round toe.

Look at everyone's budget line. The problem is, the also tend to be the least contoured boots with the least features and end up filling with water and become balloons. I started wearing the round toe Xcels a half size too big rather than a half size too small and they work. I also have some Billabongs that fit OK.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I don't have Morton's Toe (my second is even with the big toe) but I agree that the Xcel redesign does not quite jive with my foot; it's bearable but I too would prefer a more round toed boot as well. I'm also stuck between sizes (11.5) and if I go up to a 12 my heel floats around/lifts just a little too much and occasionally the toe folds if I drag it.

Not sure exactly what they look like now, but at one point Hyperflex made a boot with the peak on the center. They also ran a little narrow, so it was a little bit of a trade off. I hear the new redesigned HF boots are a big improvement over the prior generation; I'll take a look next time I surf with my friend who was recently commenting on how much he likes them.

I'll also ask another friend (who has pronounced Morton's) what boots he uses.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I really like my Hotline booties.

I believe their design presents a third option where the greatest length cuts across the big and second toe.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I tried a pair of the O'Neill Heat RTs. I'm between sizes on them - the 11s are skintight and slightly narrow and the 12s are floppy. Ciscojaws, do they stretch with use at all? If the 11s loosen up a bit they'd probably be fine.

Can't find the Quiksilver RTs anywhere. Fucking Xcel. I should have bought a whole stack of them a couple years ago.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The Heat's definitely stretch, I think most booties do. I got a pair of 5mm Heat's recently that felt perfect when new but after five sessions they are almost floppy. If they are snug but not painful/crunching your toes up, they will probably be golden in a few sessions.

Undersized Xcel's probably fit me the best but the durability has gone to sh1t lately and they are so expensive so I keep trying different stuff.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Found X-flexes at some UK retailer online with a stock of UK 10s, which are US 11s. Bought 4 pairs to get free shipping.

I'll bump this thread in six years when those are worn out and I have the same goddamn problem all over again.