re-enforcing a soft case Coffin??

gene_can_sing

Billy Hamilton status
May 23, 2005
United States
Hi, I was planning on getting a 6'7" FCS double travel case (quasi-coffin without the wheels). I was thinking about re-enforcing the sides, top and bottom with some light, flexible plastic, cutting the sheets to fit the travel case. Perhaps, then using duct tape and attach the side sheets to the top and bottom sheets. A exo-skeleton of sorts.

Has anyone ever done this? If so, was it effective? and what grade of plastic did you use? Or suggest using? I tried a Hardcase, but I like to travel around and surf different spots, and the Hardcase was just way to heavy.

In theory, if you use a light flexible grade of plastic in a softcase, it would be more protective than just a softcase, but still weight less than a hardcase.

What do you guys think??

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Way too much thinking. Throw the boards in with a towel and hope the baggage handlers aren't pissed. Don't waste your time or $.

diroberts

Miki Dora status
Apr 14, 2003
ProHoVille
I like your initiave but not your direction. Too much effort involved if you ask me. For 2 years I exclusively used a triple soft case from Destination Surf. I would use a TON of bubble wrap and foam piping insulation. Those are the two best materials b/c (a) they are cheap, (b) lightweight, (c) readily available, (d) you can shape/cut them however you want very easily.

My triple hard case weighs only 10lbs more than triple softcase when its all said and done (est. 35lbs vs. 25lbs)so I would suggest going with the hard case. You can't beat the peace of mind.