rats

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
how did I get so maligned in this thread...?

no good deed goes unpunished

btw, I left a large stuffed animal rat in the bathroom when they came home as a joke

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Another weekend, another rat sent to heaven by Bix. He eats the mice, but I guess the rats are not so tasty.

1646266256497.png

This is when you need to step back before you trap and walk around home and ID any hole 1/4" or bigger and take heavy 10 guage screen and cover and use self tap screws to secure and if unable to screw use combo screen and expandable foam. Also cut any trees, shrubs, vines, etc away from home. Now set traps and rat(s) well not be able to escape most go in and out and use home as safe place to escape.
If you don't have that screen, you can cheat with steel wool and foam...spray some foam in hole, add some steel wool and work into the goopy foam, then spray in more foam. Would only do this if I didn't have good way to screw in a screen or the hole was in some awkward position.

Last edited:

lruc

OTF status
Nov 10, 2016
We have a 100 yr old house , besides the. bats , coons coming down thru the fireplace , I think those freaking squirrels are the biggest pain in the world . I tie the traps down and use pb inside the corner of plastic bag to make it difficult for the critters , 45D4AE92-B641-4678-B6FE-267A890D34B1.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: PJ

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Been using snap traps for rats and mice for many years, it's really the best way. You know for sure you got 'em...For sure tie them down to something, I use masonry twine and make a big loop on the free end then put the trap around something and through the loop. We also modify the traps by bending the spring back a little ways down the bale so it's stronger. Then mess with the 'trigger' so it's more sensitive. It's amazing that those fookers can lick peanut butter off of those without tripping it. For bait I'll make a little bacon and peanut butter 'burrito' with a little piece of tortilla and stick it on the pointy part of the trigger. Nobody can resist bacon, amirite? Then put the traps out there but don't set them, let the critters get used to the trap without getting killed. Watch the traps and make sure the bait is disappearing then a couple days later--whammo! This Golden Retriever was very proud of her catch!IMGP1220.JPG

Reactions: PJ and keenfish

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It's amazing that those fookers can lick peanut butter off of those without tripping it.
I had a couple little bitty grey jobs, slow enough for me to hit one with a board and kick it out the front door. I put traps out, and they cleaned the chunky Skippy off. Bought some cashews, super-glued them to the bait thingy, covered in peanut butter, and had to suffer the indignity of a cashew-shaped, licked-clean hard glob of glue on the bait thing once. The second time though, death.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ and Icu812

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Our sons' pup finally got her first rat from underneath my shaping shed. I heard her barking in the afternoon, which is kind of weird, so went out back and she was "playing" with this soggy rat (probably from her drool). I made her leave it and go inside, but she ran back out to play with it. Finally locked her inside, went out back, and it was already dead. Threw it away, and as soon as I let her out, she ran back to my shed and looked for her dead toy, but to no avail. She's a natural hunter (GSPxWeim). Loves to track birds, rabbits, etc.
http://instagr.am/p/CaMIhmprUQg/

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Lots of owls dying here bc of rat poison. Please try other methods!
Almonds soaked in h20 half hour then dried and stored for rat traps in plastic or glass container. Always set traps to snap against wall etc and better odds using a least 3 in each corner. If you place in crawl space under house use leash and anchor to 2x4 etc.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Yesterday, the new stray cat that adopted us and has been trained to come in through the cat door, caught and ate a rat.

Well, decapitated a rat, removed the tail, ate much of it, but left the aforementioned parts and gut pile behind on the foyer carpet by the front door.

I found out when I stepped in the gut pile remains at approximately 6:00 AM.

Thankfully made only one more step with that bare foot onto the wood floor (whew, only ground it into the carpet in one spot).

So I avoided the happy cat prancing around me, hopped to the bathroom, cleaned up the goop, then fed the cat its breakfast, er, fed the cat its morning after midnight dinner meal, cleaned the foyer carpet, picked up the head and tail, and thought, "How many more years of this?"

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: ElOgro and Chocki