Range of motion loss & Pain: wrist

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Had a navicular (schaphoid ?) fracture in my wrist years ago. Over the years I've had minor stiffness and light pain after heavy use. Never anything that gave me much pause.

About 3 months ago I was doing pushups (common activity) and about a day later began experiencing quite a bit of pain and stiffness. This lasted for about 5 days. It sort of faded away after a week or so. Then about a month ago, seemingly out of nowhere, I woke up with a very stiff wrist and what seems like an extreme lack of mobility (about 25% of what my other wrist can do - no way that i'm able to do a pushup). It's been this way ever since.

No idea what to do about this

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Voltaren Gel no longer requires a prescription in the US. Available OTC at Walgreens, CV, Costco, etc. If it doesn’t give relief in 3-4 minutes after applying to the arthritic area itv likely won’t help but worth a try. I was able to stop getting 2 shots a year in my L5 spine area thanks to Voltaren. It will not help in shoulder and hip areas due to too much flesh but remarkable for other arthritic joints…

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Probably have some post-injury arthritis in the wrist joint after that navicular fracture. If it doesn't get better with some rest and possibly using a wrist brace etc. then might need an x-ray or other evaluation. Good luck.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Probably have some post-injury arthritis in the wrist joint after that navicular fracture. If it doesn't get better with some rest and possibly using a wrist brace etc. then might need an x-ray or other evaluation. Good luck.
Thanks for the follow up.
I'm feeling much better now, mobility is back and have no regular pain. In general pushups are still difficult but i'm night and day from where I was.

Have an appointment on Thursday to get this checked out

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Thanks for the follow up.
I'm feeling much better now, mobility is back and have no regular pain. In general pushups are still difficult but i'm night and day from where I was.

Have an appointment on Thursday to get this checked out

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
I broke both wrists skateboarding long ago and they have never been the same.
Push ups are hard on them but knuckle ones are fine. I do try to keep working on rom as I don't want them any worse.
We just had our neighbor give us some voltarin - seems legit but of course only temporary

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I broke both wrists skateboarding long ago and they have never been the same.
Push ups are hard on them but knuckle ones are fine. I do try to keep working on rom as I don't want them any worse.
We just had our neighbor give us some voltarin - seems legit but of course only temporary
That's how i fractured my wrist as well, actually I nearly did both at the same time.
Was coming around a corner in a snake run back in 2004, wheels locked, flew arms first into the opposite wall.