"local" criteria

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
What is the criteria to be a local?
For example, Lundada Bay, unconfirmed but I was told by an old guy who is "allowed" to paddle out there that some of the guys live within walking distance and the others are in the same zip code then the rest are "invited" guests. I can see that as an argument for being a local.
Then on Oahu, I look at places in the South Shore, like Diamond Head, and maybe a few out of the dozens of regulars can walk to diamond head or they ride a bike there. Then there is the north shore, like Waimea Bay, where there aren't too many houses around but I suppose you can huff it down there on foot from pupukea. I guess that is why I hear the term "regular" vs local on Oahu. Sunset and Velzy has some beachfront "locals." I am a regular at 3 specific spots and when I am burned by someone I don't know I will paddle out to them and ask them where they are from.
What about just zip code? I live 4 miles in land from a beach with my zip code, so does that make me a local?
Or is it proximity? Like if you live in a van in the Surfrider parking lot? Does living in a combi entitle you to dropping in on every wave at first point like these guys and gals who live in their vans?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My particular usual - I might not live in that zip code but surfed it 15+years, it is my go-to, I have saved a life in the water there, broken more than a few boards there, paddled out on many days where no one wanted it, and left blood trails up and down there as recently as Saturday.

If I'm not local there, no one is.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You don't move someplace and become a local unless you were the first person surfing there.

For instance, you don't spend your youth surfing in Florida, New Jersey, or Texas then move to Hawaii and eventually become a local.

Regular, sure. Local, no.

3dXman

Michael Peterson status
Mar 30, 2009
Koolville City
Kento said:
My particular usual - I might not live in that zip code but surfed it 15+years, it is my go-to, I have saved a life in the water there, broken more than a few boards there, paddled out on many days where no one wanted it, and left blood trails up and down there as recently as Saturday.

+ , all teh times that U masturbated. in the Bushes? :rockin:

Did U ever do it,,? whlie U were thinking about a Fellow BB poster.?

If I'm not doing it There, no one is.
:jam_on:

:batman: shaka:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
3dXman said:
Kento said:

Who said anything about bushes? :confused2:

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
No matter where you go, or what you're doing (fishing, skiing, surfing, mtn biking), the term "Local" is most often used to elevate one's status over another. It encompasses awareness, time spent in one area, acceptance by the rest of the tribe, and aptitude, but in no specific formula.

My town's FB group has a bunch of fat stupid nostalgic "locals" (they don't surf, or go outside much) bitching about all the Californians moving to the PNW, and blaming all problems on "outsiders". In San Diego the Arizona tourists were a favorite target. Localism is often a misguided blame game or an excuse to point fingers and exclude others. Or to justify selfish behavior by people who have been there longer.

I'm all for it when applied properly, but I think we've all seen "locals" acting like idiots and feeling like they're justified.

So "Local" criteria is a sliding scale that always has an n+1 component to it.

Aloha! :wave2:

3dXman

Michael Peterson status
Mar 30, 2009
Koolville City
Kento said:
3dXman said:
Kento said:

Who said anything about bushes? :confused2:
THats Y U R really teh #1 Local, :cheers:

Dont do it B4 U go out.,
U might ge t some on Ur board/& slip, :drunk:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
acceptance is the main factor really

there were guys who grew up far away accepted as windansea locals back in my day....

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I live literally 600 yards from the beach where I first surfed in 1982. Bought my house just over 25 years ago. I could walk it if I wanted to but I usually bike. There used to be a few guys who I'd get in the debate with and for them I wasn't a true local because I didn't go to their high school. Now I'm almost 50 and still paddling out at the same spots and I've outlasted most people from my generation and a lot of the time I don't recognize half of the people in the water.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
In Hawaii, its if you graduated high school there.

In the surf, if you have been there for a while or grew up surfing there.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
If you grow up in walking distance and got your first blowy as a teenager on the beach in quesiton , you're a local.

Question: Do you stay local for life, even if you've not lived there in 18 years, given the previous statement?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
locals usually are the ones in the water at the same break everyday rain or shine, flat, blown out or overhead closing out. They fish the water and help clean the beach or parking area before going home of trash, bottles and plastic. I found the ones hanging at the beach all day usually don't live anywhere near the beach where as the one that do, come to the beach, do their thing and go home to take care of other things.

I was shocked to find out most of the "boyz" who come down to surf, smoke, drink and nap between sessions all day come from as far as kaneohe, mililani and waianae. They come to hide from the wives and hang with the bruddas. Something I would never do.