Quiver Shots - Post 'em up!

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Nice!
The 92122 has a strong moto history. Those canyons were the playground of my youth. Braaaaap!
I really should be 92014 which is where I grew up... but live in 92122 now, and yes have seen many old images of riding in San Clemente Canyon. We did a lot of riding in between Del Mar and Rancho Penasquitos, which we called Black Mountain.

Sorry, don't mean to thread hijack. :p

Reactions: npsp and Retropete

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
these are nice with the transferable loop rather than the string. Easy to get leash in and out and come right out to change boards

I have transferable loops (very nice selection of Ci, Pyzel and Album) on all my borts. It's feeding the railsavers through the loops that takes more time than I'd like. I keep mine pretty small, so it may be more difficult for me than most.

I have one of those leashes and that sleeve that pulls over the railsaver is kind of a PIA (IMO). I remember Da Kine was touting such-and-such percentage less drag and were going to publish data from a European testing facility to show how much the "speed pockets" helped. Me thinks nada since Da Kine pulled the original claims from their marketing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and jkb

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Pics or it didnt happen

:porcorn:
I"ll try to snap some shots tomorrow. There may be a Shapers loop on one of my my borts as well. Purportedly some windswell is filtering in overnight which may enable me to to open my lil' surf closet with purpose tomorrow a.m. This has to be the worst summer for waves in the bottom part of the South Bay. My goto summer spot that I can sarf before work (Manhattan Pier zone) has been pretty terrible all summer.

I went down to Lowers with my 16 year old daughter to watch the CT Finals on Saturday and I'm regretting my decision not to bring a bort since it was the most fun waves I seen within an hour drive all summer. I didn't want to be that kook with their bort cooking in the bortbag all day and blocking prime space to enjoy the competition, but in hindsight; I would have loved to caught a few after the final heat.

Jun 16, 2022
OC, United States
That thing does look pretty flat. My old 6'0 was a little flatter and wider than this new one. Both boards like some juice. In small or soft surf (basically any wave that requires me to pump a lot to generate speed) , it feels sluggish, though not stiff. Once it gets a proper wall, it's fast, super drivey, and turns like a go-kart. I like mine in shoulder-high to overhead OBSF. Also had some good sessions on a long-period S swell at Pleasure Point. Mostly run it as a quad, though I like the twin + trailer in waves with a tight pocket.

This is a design I clicked with instantly. Here's an example of how it turns on a good wave: http://instagr.am/p/CcGg4HMA7-a/

Just wondering, how are the bottom concaves on your Hess Traveler? I took a second look at mine and I have like no concave at all on it. Front half is quite flat and the near the tail the double is pretty flat. Wondering if this is why it feels sluggish.

Attachments

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
A little V in the entry, flat through the middle, to a mild double concave aft. Thrives in powerful waves. The high tail rocker and extremely foiled tail also hint that this is a good wave board. Where are you surfing?

Jun 16, 2022
OC, United States
A little V in the entry, flat through the middle, to a mild double concave aft. Thrives in powerful waves. The high tail rocker and extremely foiled tail also hint that this is a good wave board. Where are you surfing?
Used to be in the Bay Area and take it out at overhead Scott Creek and OB. Felt like it didn't fit too great in tight pockets, though I was much worse at surfing back then. After a while, I stopped getting comfortable taking it out when it was heavy, and reaching for my 6'2" or 6'6" step up.

Since then I've moved to OC and surf HB, Uppers, or Newport Beach. Been a while since I've surfed a wave with good push, but on these soft sections it just feels like it's dragging and wants to sink.

With these bottom contours, maybe the board is just be too small for me (although I'm only 160lbs)? I got a 6'6" step up version of the Traveler from him that feels a lot better. Was thinking perhaps of ordering a bigger board from him. Maybe a twin pin or a quad traveler. Something that I could ride as a midlength, but still trust as a step up. 6'10", but not too chunky maybe?

Last edited: